android
Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Help SlotRadio card in Sansa Fuze

I have already a Sansa Fuze and I'm interested to buy a Slot Radio card. But, I have a few questions about this product:

1. Where can I find a complete list of the 1000 songs of each card?
2. Is there some kinds of DRM or can I copy and play the songs in my PC?
3. What is the sound quality? The SlotRadio player seems to be not good but what is the quality on a Sansa Fuze?
4. With the SlotRadio player, it is not possible to play the songs in shuffle mode but with the Sansa Fuze it is possible?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefr View Post
I have already a Sansa Fuze and I'm interested to buy a Slot Radio card. But, I have a few questions about this product:

1. Where can I find a complete list of the 1000 songs of each card?
2. Is there some kinds of DRM or can I copy and play the songs in my PC?
3. What is the sound quality? The SlotRadio player seems to be not good but what is the quality on a Sansa Fuze?
4. With the SlotRadio player, it is not possible to play the songs in shuffle mode but with the Sansa Fuze it is possible?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
If you are thinking about getting the slotRadio card to obtain the content for other uses you're out of luck. Secrecy is the DRM method Sandisk uses to protect the content on a slotRadio card so there is no official listing of exactly what on each card. I haven't been able to find even a bootleg listing.

When you connect the card to your computer you can't see any of the tunes even with hidden and system files visible. I don't think there has been enough interest in the hacker community to try find a way to access the content on the card so there is no way to copy the content to your hard drive.

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to SQ but I found the slotRadio player to be about equal to a no EQ Fuze setup in the in the few hours I had it before I gifted it. I tried the card in the my Fuze and my memory says the SQ in the Fuze was the same. YMMV. Interestingly enough the playback seemed to be gapless.

Inserting the slotRadio card activates the slotRadio mode on the Fuze. The Fuze plays the card in shuffle mode just like the slotRadio player. None of the playlist and track order options are accessible with the card in place.

The limited experience I had with the player and card left me with opinion that if it were cheaper I might be interested. I might pay $25 for a card just for the novelty and change of pace but at $40 it's over priced.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Thank you very much skip252. I'm allergic to DRM or any kind of political limitations on what I pay for . But, this is so cheap for 1000 songs (now $29.99 at Best Buy Canada). I will think about that...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM

Default On sale it's a nice break from your own stuff

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...slotradio&sr=1

I think the cards are a good deal if you can find them on sale for $29. I haven't seen them cheaper. I just checked radio shack and the link above takes you to the sale items. The 80s90s and Daily Mix cards are pretty solid. I paid $39. I got them for my sister and she'll be happy for a while. Her biggest complaint is she doesn't want to lose the cards. So far she likes the music. Her daughter complained there was no Taylor swift but she still liked it. The other thing is there's no decent docks. If she plays it in the car she forgets to turn off the player and it constantly runs out of juice. I have the Clip+ and load my own FLAC or 320s. The sound quality of the Clip+ is very good with high quality files. The slotradio stuff sounds better than my Sirius system in the car but I think it's more about convenience than fidelity. I don't think I would buy all these 80s90s tracks on my own and I don't feel good about using utorrent. So for me it's kind of a break form my own collection of music.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Thank you mrosario. It seems to be popular since most of the cards are out-of-stock at Radio-Shack. But I am not yet convinced ...

Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Default For what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefr View Post
Thank you mrosario. It seems to be popular since most of the cards are out-of-stock at Radio-Shack. But I am not yet convinced ...
At $29 I'm happy. $39, not so much. It just really feels like I'm getting my money's worth at $29. I know it's only $10. But ten bucks is ten bucks. Especially these days.

By the way, has anybody check out the new mog.com? Pretty nice but PC streaming only.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM

For $29 or less, I'd be happy with my slotradio card purchase, but $39? Nah, msrosario is right, I myself am not comfy with that price.

Nevertheless, the slotradio card I bought, with all the widely publicized limitations it has, proved to be worth it. The music selections mostly are good, and I never had a time when I needed to skip a song. The convenience of having 1000 songs at your fingertips unlike sourcing them from everywhere is, in my opinion, nondebatable, more so if you don't have the luxury of time. Besides, I'm quite not feeling or a fan of the much touted utorrent etc., thus my slotradio card made things just easier for me.

And I'm planning of getting another one soon, probably my second and last unless they lower its retail price.