android
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Clip+'s recording capabilities suitable for lectures and meetings?

I've been thinking about getting a Clip+ not only for music, but also to record university lectures and group meetings. Is the mic any good though? Is it sensitive enough to clearly pick up a lecture taking place in a large room, but also be able to clearly record a somewhat intimate group meeting in a large area too?

Also how is the battery life when recording? Would it be able to record straight for 2-3 hours?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM

To your first question, yes. It seems to be almost too sensitive sometimes, and will pick up any noises on the table you set it on. To be careful, I would put it on foam or cloth mat - like a napkin. And don't press buttons during recording, because you'll get noise.

The battery life is a maybe. I haven't tried recording for that long, but I would guess not. The first three of these Amazon results will be fine for powering it off of a wall, I think. It can charge while playing in this config, too, because there is only the power connection (no data). If you want to record for a long time, go with this option and at least a 4gb model to ensure enough storage space.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It will do a decent job recording if it is within around 3 or 4 feet of the speaker's mouth. Much further away, and the recording will be too noisy. The player's mic picks up plenty of fan noise and background noise, so the speaker needs to be close to get a recording with decent volume and a minimum amount of noise. Can you put the player on the professor's desk or podium? Imo recording 3 hours straight shouldn't be a problem with a fully charged battery.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM

what jk98 said i was thinking more for the meetings.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Worked fine for me in a normal room. Some of the voices were so quiet I had trouble hearing at the time but was able to hear on the clip. Battery life shouldn't be a problem, just start with a full charge.