android
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Default head direct re2 vs re1 vs re 0

hi. i need from someone who have these headphones or had chance to test them. i own re2 for 4 months now , so they r very well brned in by now. i love their ballanced characteristics, but they lack some details . i was wondering how well are re 1 in that way? well apart from impedance differencies of course... since i know re0 and re 1 both looks same , which doesnt apply to re0. right now i am more focused to re1 but re 0 might be good too. well ant suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautix View Post
hi. i need from someone who have these headphones or had chance to test them. i own re2 for 4 months now , so they r very well brned in by now. i love their ballanced characteristics, but they lack some details . i was wondering how well are re 1 in that way? well apart from impedance differencies of course... since i know re0 and re 1 both looks same , which doesnt apply to re0. right now i am more focused to re1 but re 0 might be good too. well ant suggestions?
..I've had Re1's for some time now :
1] They have no bass, dont pay attention to reviews which said this has bass with an amp etc..I have amped them and also turned up the equaliser setting for more bass, these things will not play bass at all whatever u do.
2] Worst of all there is no treble also, I removed the foam from inside and replaced the filters- treble increased but leaves me thinking why was the foam used anyways ?
3] Even worse is the microphonics - these iems are amazingly engineered to give u maximum noise for the least possible movement, the wire has a fabric like coarse texture which makes it sensitive to even slight movements even with the shirt clip on.
4]Reviewers will suggest using triflange/biflange tips etc , u can glue these iems into the side of your head and Im sure these still will not work.

I made a mistake buying these based on some reviews I read earlier..
these should be sold for 9.99$ , they dont deserve the price of 169$ at amazon or even 75$ from headdirect.
In short they have no treble and no bass and to top it off they are connected with a horrible cable...and yes they are 150 ohms which make it quieter with some head phone outs.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Actually, I like RE2 better than RE1 due to the issues evilevo points out. The thing with RE1 is that it is insatiable. It would seem to do 'better and better' with greater amplification and higher volumes. I certainly dislike IEMs like that. It's better to protect one's ears by listening at sane volumes than trying to squeeze the maximum out of an IEM. I ran them out of a desktop amp (Maverick D1, which is my big mistake like evilevo's RE1 ) and used the EQ on foobar. That's the only combo RE1 seemed to like. It's not that Clip+ is incapable of running RE1 to louder levels. But, RE1 seemed does better with an amp. In many ways, it's a 'desktop IEM', if it makes any sense.

I had them on loan, so did not do the foam mod. Even with the foam mod, I wonder how much treble they would have when pitted against RE0.

With RE2, have you tried EQ and a cheaper amp like E5? RE2 is again deficient in bass and the treble is a tad rolled off. I posted this in an Indian forum when I had RE2 on loan.

RE0 is dry, thin and analytical. RE0 would do better with an amp, but it does not demand an amp like RE1. I find RE-ZERO to be a better alternative, though it seems that you can only get the balanced plug + adapter combo from head-direct. With HM-602 (or 601?), they bundled a free RE-ZERO with TRS plug, which I managed to get. RE-ZERO is not exactly RE0 + bass - some treble. To my ears, they seem a little better. My out of the box comparison was posted here.

If you are after details, go for RE0 or RE-ZERO, though you could also look at PFE, if your budget allows it. If only RE-252 had a housing that was not meant to torture your ears and had a cable which was slightly better than something snapped out of a $5 ear bud, I'd have recommended 252 (used). Over a long session, 252 can sometimes be boring, but never as dry as RE0.