android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 11-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Which sony walkman series to get? Best sound qual. without the gimmicks (browser etc)

Ok, I love music and am only looking at sony cos of the un-rivalled sound quality. But the latest x series has so many gimmicks like browser, video, etc, etc. I dont need that. But I dont want to comprise on sound or any music related features by buying an older model. So is there a sony model that has the best music capability to-date without these gimmicks ? Asking cos that will surely drive the price down.

I dont care whether its touch screen or not like I said already. If leaving all this out without comprimising on its music capabilities lowers the price a lot, then thats great!

I have read that some suggest that the SQ is not that different in the newer models while others swear on the contrary.

thx

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 AM

What headphones are you going to use with the MP3 player?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

SQ wise they're all pretty good. The older A or S Series - if you can find them on sale anywhere - are simple and uncluttered but with good music features.

The new S is popular but does come with speakers and the jury is still out on whether the new E Series is a good buy.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What headphones are you going to use with the MP3 player?
top of the range. I will need advise on that as well. Something from shure, sennheiser, etc. if need be. I have heard that the ones that come with these are decent enough but wont hesitate to get new ones if they r not good.

The E-series does have bad reviews on amazon. They are saying that its not loud enough!

Quote:
The older A or S Series - if you can find them on sale anywhere
You can get almost any old model from amazon resellers if not direct from amazon.

Last edited by wisemen; 11-27-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 AM

also, seeing that the sound quality on X series isnt that different and the price increase is mosy likely cos of touch, wifi, etc., which is better (purely for music) - A series or S series?
any specific model? Better headpdones (or shall i get a cheaper sony with basic headphones and buy shure headphones separately)?

PS - I am lurking this forum a lot. Great place u have here.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 PM

I think you should grab the S series and call it a day, unless you got about 250 for the X series...the s series 16gb is 100 dollars and isn't getting cheaper and packs 40 hours playback...no other player is giving you that except for the D2 and S9 which are over 50 hours. Everything else like vids, BT, wifi, all those are extra gimmicks and in reality we don't need but we get em just for the ride. Unless you do public transportation or have the thing in the car your probably won't do too much with it.

Not to mention the accessories are kinda expensive...the leather case is 40 bucks.

and as far as headphones depends on whether you rock the cans or Iem's me I go with Iem's and right now I have Sleek audio SA6, and senn cx300b's, The sleeks are decent but may need some new eartips for em. and the senn's are just bassy as you can get. I had klipsch custom 2 and those were awesome except the cord died every 2 months.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysg View Post
I think you should grab the S series and call it a day, unless you got about 250 for the X series...the s series 16gb is 100 dollars and isn't getting cheaper and packs 40 hours playback...no other player is giving you that except for the D2 and S9 which are over 50 hours. Everything else like vids, BT, wifi, all those are extra gimmicks and in reality we don't need but we get em just for the ride. Unless you do public transportation or have the thing in the car your probably won't do too much with it.

Not to mention the accessories are kinda expensive...the leather case is 40 bucks.

and as far as headphones depends on whether you rock the cans or Iem's me I go with Iem's and right now I have Sleek audio SA6, and senn cx300b's, The sleeks are decent but may need some new eartips for em. and the senn's are just bassy as you can get. I had klipsch custom 2 and those were awesome except the cord died every 2 months.
this is interesting. I was leaning towards the A series cos i have heard.read here that they have same/better SQ.

Oh and i have senn 500 already but i need something better. I dont hate them but havent tried anything high-end to compare with. I think that should/will end.

But yeah S or A? At least i have licked out the E series and the rest.

Oh and which any particular model?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 PM

it doesn't really matter IMO. I had the A728, it's a solid entry but at the same time it only does so much.

S - series just gives you speakers and the s master digital.

A - Series just older version. Like you literally get the same specs out of the players there is very little difference, price wise doubt you'll find a 16gb A series, or an A series with Bluetooth any more. You literally get the same formats for audio. They both have the same size screen and practically the same interface. I think S series has like a few extra gimmicks that are irrelevant.

and like I said with headphones not much to say a good entry in there is about 50-100 dollars. Shure se210 I think, Klipsch custom 2, can't remember UE's lineup that well, westone Um1's are down to 100 bucks. etymotic is up there as well. phonak's too, in reality I think the phonaks would be a good fit. Unless you plan on rockin cans.

and unless you plan on holding back for the a840 which will run you over 200 bucks there isn't much else. E series there is no point because 100 bucks gets you the s series...

Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysg View Post
it doesn't really matter IMO. I had the A728, it's a solid entry but at the same time it only does so much.

S - series just gives you speakers and the s master digital.

A - Series just older version. Like you literally get the same specs out of the players there is very little difference, price wise doubt you'll find a 16gb A series, or an A series with Bluetooth any more. You literally get the same formats for audio. They both have the same size screen and practically the same interface. I think S series has like a few extra gimmicks that are irrelevant.

and like I said with headphones not much to say a good entry in there is about 50-100 dollars. Shure se210 I think, Klipsch custom 2, can't remember UE's lineup that well, westone Um1's are down to 100 bucks. etymotic is up there as well. phonak's too, in reality I think the phonaks would be a good fit. Unless you plan on rockin cans.

and unless you plan on holding back for the a840 which will run you over 200 bucks there isn't much else. E series there is no point because 100 bucks gets you the s series...
thx a lot mate. there really seems to be no difference. I have been searching both a and s series forums and am still to come across anything bid.

but wait, that s master digital amp surely maybe be the deciding factor, right? is it any good?

BTW I am in UK and loads of older models are avilable on amazon UK.

Quote:
Unless you plan on rockin cans.
that is good!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 AM

If you have the money.. Buy the X series.. I think its the best walkman atm even if you take you the browser and all the gimicks. Yeah its a bit expensive but as I said if you have the money go for it..

The S series and the A series looks great, and sounds great as well. I've got the old A728 and it still works fine and the SQ still amazes me everytime I listen to it.

Also you mentioned you need advice for earphones aswell, If I'm getting a midrange IEM atm I would be getting the Senns IE7 or some armature Iem from UE

Old 11-28-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisemen View Post
thx a lot mate. there really seems to be no difference. I have been searching both a and s series forums and am still to come across anything bid.

but wait, that s master digital amp surely maybe be the deciding factor, right? is it any good?

BTW I am in UK and loads of older models are avilable on amazon UK.

that is good!
wait wait,
the new S-series from japan has the s-master digital amp, right?
Its not available outside Japan yet AFAIK and some people in this forum found out that it probably never will be published in Europe and US

And also, if you have the money, get a Walkman with S-Master amplifier.
If you wanna save money, get either A or S Series but the old gen .. the new one with speakers seems to lack some enhencements regarding audio.The old gen A and S kinda sound same to me.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyu727 View Post
wait wait,
the new S-series from japan has the s-master digital amp, right?
Its not available outside Japan yet AFAIK and some people in this forum found out that it probably never will be published in Europe and US

And also, if you have the money, get a Walkman with S-Master amplifier.
If you wanna save money, get either A or S Series but the old gen .. the new one with speakers seems to lack some enhencements regarding audio.The old gen A and S kinda sound same to me.
Jesus, I ordered the S545 . Shall I return it when it arrives ? What do u think?

oh and whihc models have that s master amp.
Checked s545, s639, s739 on amazon and sony.co.uk but nothing about the s master amp.

It seems that only the X series has that.

Last edited by wisemen; 11-29-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try the S545 out before you send it back.....you might like it. I think it puts out very good sound, at a great price. The S-master amp is in the X-series, and the new A840 series, not in S545, S639, S739.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Try the S545 out before you send it back.....you might like it. I think it puts out very good sound, at a great price. The S-master amp is in the X-series, and the new A840 series, not in S545, S639, S739.
i guess i will like any sony.

The A840 series isnt even out. Guess i will get this and sell it on ebay when and if the A840 is out in europe and if its has positive reviews.

just one question.

Quote:
So if this s545 is worse then the old gen s639, s739 in SQ, shall i get them instead in return.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisemen View Post
So if this s545 is worse then the old gen s639, s739 in SQ, shall i get them instead in return.
I've never had the chance to compare them, so I couldn't say. The audio enhancements referred to on the S639 that the S545 doesn't have are on some kind of hidden menu, I believe, that you get by certain combinations of button presses. I don't know what difference they make, but the custom EQ and Clear Bass features that both players share are all that I've needed to get quality sound.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Banned

That service menu in the S639 couldn't be edited - I tried - it was just some kind of test feature.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dreamnine is on point, as the service menu in the S639 is only for testing purposes. No SQ or EQ adjustments can be made.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM

I think the S545 lacks DSEE.and SenseMe-Channels.
I'll stay with my Walkman X :-X

Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think the S545 lacks DSEE.and SenseMe-Channels.
I'll stay with my Walkman X :-X
SenseMe channel is not an audio enhancement.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:59 PM

If you can wait until CES in january to see if sony debuts any new walkmans, then wait, it might be just worth it.