android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 11-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Default File/Folder & Browsing mutliple bookmarks on Clip & Fuze

I am trying to decide which player to get clip or fuze and want to know if each has some features I could really use. I listen to a lot of audio books in mp3 format and am interested in two features in particular - File/Folder browsing and bookmarking multiple files.

Does the following sansa products have these features or will they be gettigng them soon?

1. clip without the microSDHC slot
2. clip+
3. Fuze without the microSDHC slot
4. Fuze+

Thanks in advance for your help.

I hope to be able to get one of these on Cyber Monday. I know I can get some of the old models refurbished for a good price.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 AM

I just wanted to clarify one thing. I am looking ofr the multiple bookmarks both using file/folder browsing and playlists.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a Clip, Clip+, and Fuze. There is no Fuze+. The Fuze has a card slot.
The Clip+ has a microSDHC card slot and folder navigation which the Clip lacks. The Clip navigates by tags only. Otherwise the Clip+ and Clip function the same, except the appearance is different(the Clip+ has a power button which is much better than the slider on the Clip. The Clip+ lacks the annoyong blue ring light on the clip). Folder navigation is important though if you want to play untagged audiobook files, or if the tags have mistakes and you don't want to bother fixing them. With folder navigation, the files play in the same order as on your pc. With tag navigation, they play in an order determined by the tags. The Fuze like the Clip+ navigates by a choice of folders or tags.

The Fuze has a much larger display than the Clip+ or Clip. It also has a scroll wheel which the Clip players lack. The Fuze has battery life of around 20 hours vs 12 hours for the Clip+ and Clip. The Fuze, Clip+, and Clip have autobookmarking for podcast and audiobook files. When you olay a file partially, the player asks you if you want to resume whe it was stopped last time, or start from the beginning the next time you play it. These player also remember which audiobook or podcast file was played last if you played it in album mode but not if you play it in folder mode if you play some music files before turning off the player. If you play just the audiobook files, it will always remember the last audiobook file played(but if you play music before turning off the player in folder mode it will remember just the last music file played, and not the last audiobook file played as well).That is a drawback of these players. I hope it will be fixed in future fimware updates.

My advice is to avoid refurbished players unless the price is much lower than for a new one. Often the price difference isn't so large. A refurbished player has much more of a chance of being problematic than a new one, and typically a refurb has a much shorter warranty than a new one. My rule is to avoid refurbs unless they are half the price or less than the lowest price I can find for a new one. A new Clip+ is around $40 for 4 GB, or around $58 for 8 GB, while a Fuze is around $50 for 4 GB or around $65 for 8 GB on Amazon with free shipping.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks so much. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
One more question. You said
Quote:
These player also remember which audiobook or podcast file was played last if you played it in album mode but not if you play it in folder mode if you play some music files before turning off the player.
Is this true even if the audiobook's genre is marked as audiobook (which allows these players to play them as audiobooks)?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes. It doesn't matter if the genre is audiobook or if the genre is something else and file is in the audiobook folder in main memory or in the audiobook folder on card memory, it will consider the file an audiobook file.

Only through the podcast or audiobook submenu can the player recall which audiobook or podcast file was played last if you turn the player off after listening to music.

Tags
bookmark, clip, folder browsing, fuze