android
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Grado SR80i vs SR125i vs Alessandro MS1i

Hello,

So I've decided to go for the grado signature sound, and narrowed my search to those three cans {Grado SR80i, SR125i, Alessandro MS1i}. Thing is theres no way for me to test them and see which one i like the most so in order not to buy a cat in the bag, i ask your help dear internets.

Price Range: <$150
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs, maybe a bit of a basshead from time to time , all though I have Fischer Audio Silver Bullets for that...
Source: Sansa Clip+, bbCmoy (AD825).

So in essence, I want the {X} to have a nice crisp, snappy and punchy, but not too big, bass with overall balanced and crisp mid to highs mainly for listening to 80s - 90s rock, maybe dubstep, electronics, and more classical, vocal based songs.

Thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM

From the sources you mentioned, I'm guessing you want to use said headphones as a portable. Please allow me to disabuse you of that notion. Grado and Alessandro headphones are the absolute last thing you want to use on the go. They are open, meaning they don't isolate sound. So what you hear bothers everyone around you, and the open nature forces you to turn up the volume to dangerous levels to drown out background noise.

Moreover, they are big and clunky headphones, with long and thick cables. Definitely not for portable use.

Personally, for portable headphones that are actually portable I'm fond of the sennheiser px200-ii. It has that balance you speak of, though bass impact is a bit lacking. It also does a decent job isolating considering its tiny size - folded the px200-ii fits in a shirt pocket. If you're set on a fullsize portable, go with the akg k81dj.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 PM

FWIR Grados are bright. . . probably no good for a basshead.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
From the sources you mentioned, I'm guessing you want to use said headphones as a portable. Please allow me to disabuse you of that notion. Grado and Alessandro headphones are the absolute last thing you want to use on the go. They are open, meaning they don't isolate sound. So what you hear bothers everyone around you, and the open nature forces you to turn up the volume to dangerous levels to drown out background noise.

Moreover, they are big and clunky headphones, with long and thick cables. Definitely not for portable use.

Personally, for portable headphones that are actually portable I'm fond of the sennheiser px200-ii. It has that balance you speak of, though bass impact is a bit lacking. It also does a decent job isolating considering its tiny size - folded the px200-ii fits in a shirt pocket. If you're set on a fullsize portable, go with the akg k81dj.

Yea, forgot to mention that I do not intend to use them in public. For that I have Fischer SBs.

Last edited by zOlt; 04-10-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM

In that case, go with the sr80. No grado qualifies as bassy, and in point of fact the sr80 is also quite bright. But it has the most bass impact of the listed headphones.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM

cool. thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM

But you did say balanced. The Alessandro's to me are more balanced. Definitely not for bassheads, but neither are any of the Grados. I turned my MS1's into MS1000 though and Im loving them all the more.

Tags
alessandro ms1i, grado sr80i, sr125i