android
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Default Xbox/Zune Integration

Yo
So, with this new update to the Xbox that's out today, can you put videos on your Xbox onto your Zune? Is there a way of putting music and videos on your Zune onto your Xbox?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

This was the update that I was hoping for, and to say that I'm disappointed would be a vast understatement. The new Zune Marketplace on 360 is in no way, shape, or form compatible with the Zune HD.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

maybe it comes in a new update probably with the Facebook and Twitter apps? I wanted to download some south park episodes but i couldnt cause in the zune (software PC) it says download error. I better be able to download these videos cause i was told it would be cross compatible.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM

yeah, i have an xbox360 also..

i wonder exactly what we will be able to do
with the zuneHD..

later

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

As of right now, a fully functional MTP/MSC media player integrates with the 360 better than the Zune HD does, simply because it allows you to copy files between the 360 and the media player. The Zune HD and 360 cannot copy files between them since this update.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
The Zune HD and 360 cannot copy files between them since this update.
Were they able to before this update?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I doubt it, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I know that the two devices cannot play protected content off each other, and that really bothers me. For example, if you purchase an item from the Zune Software, for your Zune, you cannot play it through your 360.

Ms is horrible about getting DRM to work between their own devices.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM

well that stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
no. i tried for a while to find a way to copy the files from my zune onto the 360, and i could find no way to do it.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:44 PM

I was surprised that the update...wasnt really an update.

Just a selection of bits you could add. To be honest if you werent a real 360 freak you'd probably miss most of it.

Last.FM is kind of nice but as the 360 is so loud its not a sensible piece of hardware for serious listening.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
This was the update that I was hoping for, and to say that I'm disappointed would be a vast understatement. The new Zune Marketplace on 360 is in no way, shape, or form compatible with the Zune HD.
The change is that the Zune (Video) Marketplace is now common... for any purchases from now on, you get a license for your PCs and Xbox 360, so it gives you "3 screen" access: PC, PMP (Zune HD) & Xbox 360. Instant streaming 1080p on the Xbox 360 is new, too... so, for that use, you don't even need to waste time/space downloading to watch your cloud stored content.

So, if you buy/download video content on the Zune software... you can go to your Xbox 360, and play/stream or download it there, too... and vice versa.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
The change is that the Zune (Video) Marketplace is now common... for any purchases from now on, you get a license for your PCs and Xbox 360, so it gives you "3 screen" access: PC, PMP (Zune HD) & Xbox 360. Instant streaming 1080p on the Xbox 360 is new, too... so, for that use, you don't even need to waste time/space downloading to watch your cloud stored content.

So, if you buy/download video content on the Zune software... you can go to your Xbox 360, and play/stream or download it there, too... and vice versa.
In theory, this is true. However, I there are some issues. For instance, music videos that I purchased on the Xbox Live Marketplace will show up in my purchase history on the Xbox, but not on my PC Client. Also, while I "purchased" the series "Horror Meets Comedy" on Zune HD, and can access it via the 360's marketplace now, I can no longer download it to my Zune HD.

It's a step in the right direction, but they've still got miles to go.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM

So the xbox/zune integration already occurred? I cant even download my south park episodes to my zune nor my music videos to the 360. This sucks i feel cheated.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis135n View Post
So the xbox/zune integration already occurred? I cant even download my south park episodes to my zune nor my music videos to the 360. This sucks i feel cheated.
Some work, most don't. It feels rushed, because it's very incomplete at this time.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM

The lack of good Zune/Xbox integration is extremely disappointing.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Buddy

Quote:
I doubt it, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I know that the two devices cannot play protected content off each other, and that really bothers me. For example, if you purchase an item from the Zune Software, for your Zune, you cannot play it through your 360.

Ms is horrible about getting DRM to work between their own devices.
Untrue. If you have DRM'd content on your Zune (ie: you've bought it from Zune Marketplace, or it's subscription content), you can plug that device into the front of your Xbox 360 and play it back through the Xbox unit. I do this all the time.

Quote:
Also, while I "purchased" the series "Horror Meets Comedy" on Zune HD, and can access it via the 360's marketplace now, I can no longer download it to my Zune HD.

It's a step in the right direction, but they've still got miles to go.
Medion - I'd like to know more about this. You bought this series on your device via the Device Marketplace, but after playing it on Xbox you can no longer play it on your device?!?

Can you email me some more details?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Untrue. If you have DRM'd content on your Zune (ie: you've bought it from Zune Marketplace, or it's subscription content), you can plug that device into the front of your Xbox 360 and play it back through the Xbox unit. I do this all the time.
Sorry Dave, but what I stated is the absolute truth. Not all DRM content between the two marketplaces is working right now, and by essentially calling me a liar for reporting an error, you lose credibility with me when it comes to your ability to look into resolving these issues. I had "Horror Meets Comedy" on my Zune HD. It would not play back on the 360 when plugged into the 360. And, I'm not about to buy more content from MS to test this, when Amazon's content is DRM free and works on all devices.

Quote:
Medion - I'd like to know more about this. You bought this series on your device via the Device Marketplace, but after playing it on Xbox you can no longer play it on your device?!?

Can you email me some more details?

Cheers, Dave.
Dave, I've contacted you twice on this issue previously when your requested it, and never received a response from you. So I'll just post it here in full detail, and you can do with it as you please.

Purchased on Zune Markplace (PC Client):
-Horror Meets Comedy (when plugged into the 360, will not play, protected content), however, it does show up in my purchase history on the 360, and can be re-downloaded there. Can no longer be downloaded off my PC Client to Zune HD.

Purchased on the 360:
-Linkin Park Great Divide Music Video (does not show up in purchase history on PC client, wants me to repurchase it)

Old 11-19-2009, 05:34 AM

The above is just one of the reasons I (and probably thousands of others) just wont waste/risk my money on buying such content.

You are paying for stuff that could just 'dissapear/error' for no apparent reason at any minute.

Thats why I still buy old fashioned CDs and DVDs. If they dissapear it's my fault.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM

As it is, only new (post-integration) purchases from the integrated store are "guaranteed" to be cross-licensed. There is a known problem with some pre-integration purchases, which Microsoft is trying to resolve... there is no current ETA. (Use the formal Zune.net content forums if you want direct feedback.) For now, those may be stuck on the original purchase platform.

By the way, Amazon video content is not DRM free... and we're talking about video.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

By the way, Amazon video content is not DRM free... and we're talking about video.
Thanks for the correction. Looks like I'll just stick with physical media and my own rips. At least this way, I have more control over the codec.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Default What gives?

I purchased a movie (HD) from zune's website, downloaded it and can view it on my Zune HD and through the Zune Dock on my HD TV.
I cannot however, plug my Zune into my XBox 360 and view the same movie!
Dock yes, XBox no. How crazy is that!

Tags
integration, update, xbox, zune