android
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Sennheiser HD555

I have been reading around and finding opinions and experiences on different headphone amps and I am probably more lost than I was before. I am an audiophile newb lol. I got the HD280pros, great headphones however cant wear them for long periods of time and they break rather easily. I have found myself using lower end sennheisers, either way I LOVE sennheiser sound quality so recently i got myself a pair of HD555s, (they are still on the way) and i want to do right by them and for me. I'll mainly be listening to itunes bought music and playing games. I am the kind of guy that wants full experience and I want to hear every instrument of every song and without that hiss in high treble areas (the hd 280s did that pretty bad, and im thinking because i didnt have the proper equipment for it which is why im here). In games I want realistic sounds that make me really feel im there and where I can hear the sounds seperatly (if that makes sense) instead of glomped and faded.

Anyway i digress, what would u say is a good amp for me to get for my sennheiser HD555s that are under 50 dollars to get me goin and will make a big difference as opposed to not having an amp to begin with. I currently use a sound blaster x-fi, and if you guys have suggestions for a better sound card and why, I would take that into consideration as well. I am just tired of my sound being almost and not quite if u know what i mean. Ill also probably use them for my iphone (i know i know) but ill be using my lower end 40 dollar sennheisers for that mainly.

Thank you for any advice!

p.s. for some reason i feel this is poorly worded and written but I cant figure out a better way to write it lol, so i apologize, maybe its cuz my mind is fried at work atm.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Redneck Moderator

I think, that if you can wait and save more money, then do that. You'll end up getting the HD555's and just wish you had better. Not that they are bad, but thats just how it works(at least in my experiences). I'd suggest something higher up in the sennheiser line, but when you go there you really DO need a good source. But at least you'll only have to do that once.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM
General Audio Moderator

The 555 are a great pair of headphones , in most cases they need no amp but a powerful and higher quality source is recommended for the best dynamics. The cowon D2 and S9 drive them decently. One of our forum members has paired the 555 with a few players for sound comparison if you are interested: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39156 < he states the ipod touch (similar to the iphone you mention) sounds like rubbish with the 555.

The xfi is possibly one of the worst series of sound cards i have the misfortune of using , I would recommend an audio fire 2 ...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM

I've got an hd555, I really love it. It sounds great. (here is my review if your interested http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39979) Its comfortable and everything. It sounds great with my sony walkman unamped but my CMoy amp improves dynamics and improves the sound stage a tiny bit more.

As syndrome said the hd555 is a truly great headphone, sound and value wise. The only problem is they do make you want to upgrade more since you get a taste of what good sound really sounds like and it will make you wonder how good the upper range model is.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Me not reading whole post ends in stupidity only.

What kind of amp would you like? Seeing how you already have a sound card I guess a portable amp wouldn't hurt, maybe a cMOY?
If you want entry level desktop amp, there is a cheap tube amp on ebay, just input "Valve Class A Tube Headphone Amplifier pre Bravo" (for some reason ebay is down and I can't use the search function right now).

Last edited by roy_nor; 11-21-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 AM

i haven't really tried these amps but the little dot amps looks pretty great and cheap as well. i've been eyeing on the little dot + i Im not sure if the amp name is right but its a hybrid amp from little dot. I read good stuff about it. i actually want to buy it but i'm trying to save up for a woo audio 6

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 AM

I have the HD-555's also, I didn't realize how nice they actually sound until I got rid of my X-FI extreme music and got an ASUS xonar d2.
I also bought a Fiio e3 for my sony s545 and it works really good with the 555's ,the volume level is about equal to my stock sony earbuds now with the 555's

Last edited by jsk68; 02-06-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM

I have the 595's which sound quite similar to the 555's and both have the same impedance. I picked up a BSG Cmoy for the 595's and wasn't impressed at all with the Cmoy, you should be able to get away w/o an amp but they will sound better with one. At the $50 range you are really only looking at Cmoy's amp wise.

Stereo: KEF iQ90's, KEF iQ60c, KEF iQ30's, 10" Velodyne