android
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Default The Beginning of the End

As a Die Hard Zune family...we have had as many as 5 Zunes and 2 Zune Passes in use since 2007 but we may be starting the beginning of the end. My daughters Zune 4gb may be dead. Battery looks to be toast. Seeing if it will charge in an ac adapter now but it is not looking good.

I am actually a little sad as we have all really loved the Zunes and the Pass over the years. My wife and I have Zune HD's but my son also has a 4gb bought at the same time as my daughters and it will probably die in the near future too.

So it looks like we will be going the iPod Touch/Spotify route for the kids as their devices meet their makers. And since the wife and I now both have iPhones we will probably transition soon after that and give up the HDs too.

Thanks for the good times Zune. I just wish MS hadn't screwed you so badly so we could have stayed together longer.

And that means an adios to ABI Zune Forums too. I haven't posted a ton but I have always read.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM

It doesn’t mean you have to stop reading; there are all kinds of good information here and some nice reviews to boot. Enjoy the new path you’re taking and wish you luck with the new gear …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 PM

No kidding,the end of a product working is NOT the end of the world lol

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear it, but definitely stick around. Even if it isn't in the Zune forum, join us for good times everywhere on ABi.

The day my HD dies will be a sad, sad day. I may even cry.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 PM

No it's not the end of the world. lol But, its like going to the store and finding out they quit making your favorite underwear. It can be a traumatic experience.

I have tried multiple players and multiple music services and none of them are as nice (for us) as the Zune combination. My daughter was really bummed that she was not going to have the Zune Pass any more. She didn't actually cry but there was some serious moping going on. lol

So, being the softie Dad, I remembered I still had my Zune 80. So I went and found it (with low expectations) and charged it. Bam, it works. So I gave my daughter that one for the short term so we all have Zunes again.

And, whether it is a mistake or not, I went and bought 2 used Zune 16gb HDs (for less than the price of one iPod touch setup, actually). So maybe I can put off the inevitable as long as possible.

So, be forewarned, I will still be lurking.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 AM

After getting 2 Windows Phones they still don't replace .my Zune's. The Zune 30 is still chugging along in my car (its easier to navigate than the HD while driving) we have 2 HD's that are still used daily a Windows Phone does not have the space or the ease of use as a dedicated Zune while we love WP7 I plan on being a dedicated Zune user until they all break down and are not for sale new or used on the internet.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

I guess I'm on the same road. I maybe going back to Samsung though. I loved my yp-p2 when it was working but a drop caused it to have some major audio problems. With my laptop and back drive stolen, I looked to my HD to keep my music safe. Don't get my wrong, I enjoyed my HD up until this point. Unfortunately, My HD has literally destroyed half of the ruffly 1500 songs I have up there. Album art is either Missing, disoriented, or completely replaced with a photo (not album art) from another artist. That, and/or the music it's self has been involuntarily remixed in the worst way possible. Literally a few hundred songs have been mixed chopped n' screwed. After years of "bad luck" with Microsoft's products, I think its time I exited this caravan.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Free Zune HD 80 Gb

I hope this is the appropriate place for this post - I see others talking about the end of the Zune line and how sorry they are and how much they loved them. I just received a free Zune (totally boxed up) as a prize. Unfortunately, it arrived DOA. I think it must be a dead battery but don't know for sure - I have done all the steps as recommended by MS to no avail (24 hour charge, reinstall software, etc.). This is a Club Bing prize and it took me months to garner enough points to get it. At any rate, they seem to be dragging their feet about rectifying the issue - my question is - do the Zune batteries hold up - and for that matter, the Zune - do they hold up? Should I fork over $40 bucks and $15 for shipping to fix the battery at a place I found online (which appears to be pretty thorough and has a lot of good testimonials - they will also do a free diagnostic). I am more than willing to do so if I can get a couple of years out of it but would hate to do it if the Zune batteries don't have a good reputation. My uses would be some music, audiobooks, podcasts - you know - the usual stuff - probably running off and on 2-3 hours a day. Sure would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MS will honor the INCLUDED 1 year warranty AFTER you register the device on the Zune Online Service Center website. They'll send you a shipping label, and ask that you ONLY send them the device. You'll get a replacement Zune in around 30 days or so.

How would I know? I've done the warranty thing for other people before, and MS tends to stand behind the product, even if it IS discontinued.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
No it's not the end of the world. lol But, its like going to the store and finding out they quit making your favorite underwear.
The moral of the story is to buy a lifetime supply when you find underwear you like.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
The moral of the story is to buy a lifetime supply when you find underwear you like.
Heh,...that's why I buy extra drawers. But, I've been on the Atkins Diet since 1/2/2012 and I've lost over 10lbs of fat - what do I do with all these (huge) undies after I lose a total of 50-70lbs?

Hey, we have a "Classifieds" section,...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 PM

You feel good about yourself and use the excess fabric for a DIY project. Like a tablecloth or parachute.

Last edited by sideways; 02-08-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Room for misinterpretation.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
You feel good about yourself and use the excess fabric for a DIY project. Like a tablecloth or parachute.
I'll go with the tablecloth I think, since my daredevil days ended quite a few years ago.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
MS will honor the INCLUDED 1 year warranty AFTER you register the device on the Zune Online Service Center website. They'll send you a shipping label, and ask that you ONLY send them the device. You'll get a replacement Zune in around 30 days or so.

How would I know? I've done the warranty thing for other people before, and MS tends to stand behind the product, even if it IS discontinued.
Thanks for response. Zune is registered at that site which says: "your standard warranty expired on June 19,2009." No mention has been made of a replacement using the above process in corresponding with Club Bing (the link they provide if prize arrives broken) - I will mention what you have said and see if they respond positively, or, perhaps I should find a way to communicate with someone else at MS, however, not sure who or what that would be. Since you've done this in the past, can you provide a link? Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you received the prize from "Club Bing" I would think it's an ms site, and I'm wondering how the device could be registered if you got it brand new. Call ms and see if they can help, or see if club bing does the right thing. So far it's starting to sound like club bing is shady,...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
If you received the prize from "Club Bing" I would think it's an ms site, and I'm wondering how the device could be registered if you got it brand new. Call ms and see if they can help, or see if club bing does the right thing. So far it's starting to sound like club bing is shady,...
Thanks for the info - it is an MS operation - I don't know about the registration comment from you - I went to the Zune site when I first received it and registered it and then saw the warranty had expired in '09. At any rate, I contacted club bing again today quoting your msg regarding how they stand by their products and VOILA!!, this p.m. received an apology and an offer to replace it. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any time PatVIN. Just let us know how it goes afterwards, and how you like the Zune. I think you'll be happy!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

DarkSide, MS bends to your will...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Any time PatVIN. Just let us know how it goes afterwards, and how you like the Zune. I think you'll be happy!
I'm looking forward to this new toy and you can be sure, I'll let you know how it goes (even if MS bends to your will).......Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM

An update to my Zune thing - after sending it back to MS, I received a note from them that it was now out of stock!!! oh well. I think I would have had fun with it but I have moved on! Thanks again.