android
  #1  
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default Sennheiser PX100

Hi all,

I found these: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...8062354&sr=1-3

I was wondering how their sound quality compared with my Sennheiser CX500 earbuds? Is it as good, or not as good?

Thanks,

-McDougal
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

The PX100 need very little power to run....just about any player will power them as loud as you would like(probably useful for you since I've read some people say the Z:HD isn't loud enough).

I find them to have a pretty good overall sound balance....I do some slight EQ-ing with mine, but that's more to do with my individual ears than anything else. Also, they're very comfortable and light-weight.

I don't have the CX500, so I can't make a comparison between the two....hopefully this helps somewhat though.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
yuki's Avatar
yuki yuki is offline
General Audio Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mesa Az
Posts: 519
Default

The px-100 are hands down in my opinion the best headphones in the $40 price range, well worth it well balanced and efficient. Build quality is pretty decent as well
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,988
Default

You guys forgot to mention one important thing when comparing the CX500 to the PX100. The CX500 earphone isolates quite well, while the PX100 is open and doesn't isolate at all. Isolating earphones are good for noisy environments where you don't have to hear the surroundings.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Thanks everybody for the replies. And thank you JK98 for letting me know about the open design. I think because of the open design, I will not be able to get them. I'm so used to noise isolation from using the CX500's for so long. However, I did find these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Would you recommend these?

Thanks,

-McDougal
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,058
Default

As for me, I tried the PX100 and returned them back in a few days. I did not like the SQ because I prefer a lot of bass, and to me, they sounded anemic. i don't have the CX500s to make a comparison either.
__________________
Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320 - IPod Classic 160GB - iPod 5.5G 80GB - Sansa Clip Plus 4GB - Original Sansa Clip 2GB
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
As for me, I tried the PX100 and returned them back in a few days. I did not like the SQ because I prefer a lot of bass, and to me, they sounded anemic. i don't have the CX500s to make a comparison either.
I find they have plenty of bass.....and if you're not averse to enhancements/EQ-ing, they can be little bass monsters(either DNSe 3.0 Bass or Sony Clear Bass).

They're like the polar opposite of my SR60i's....the SR60i's are bass-light to my ears until I enable Clear Bass or DSNe, and with the PX100's I like to bump up the mid/upper-mids slightly.

But of course, all our ears are different.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 AM
EddieE's Avatar
EddieE EddieE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 507
Default

As Marvin has said, all ears are different, but for me the PX200 are trash. It makes your music sound like it is bound and gagged and stuffed into a tin can. A lot more bass with them, but vocals sound awful and all the different elements of your recording sound stuck together in thick mud.

The PX100, conversely, are wonderful, but yeah, no good for sound isolation.

Hard to find a cheap sound isolating option of acceptable quality that aren't IEMs to be honest with you. Are your CX500 broken? Why not get a new pair of them if you like them? If you want some non-IEM sound isolating phones the HD202 might be a good option. They don't need an amp, have plenty of bass are a step up in SQ from the PX200. HD201 are nice too but have a serious bass deficiency that will need EQ to solve.

If your willing to spend some more money - I just got some ATH-M50 - my god they aren't even half burned in but already are my favorite headphones by a mile. Simply love them. Sound isolation and incredibly accurate sound - the old cliche "hearing things you never noticed before" definitely applies.
__________________
In regular use...
Sansa Clip +|Foobar2k|FiiO E7, E9, A1|Stax SRM-XH|beyerdynamic N1000
Stax SR303|YamaLux HP-1|beyerdynamic ET1000|Ultrasone HFI-780|Phonak Audeo PFE112
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
As Marvin has said, all ears are different, but for me the PX200 are trash. It makes your music sound like it is bound and gagged and stuffed into a tin can. A lot more bass with them, but vocals sound awful and all the different elements of your recording sound stuck together in thick mud.

The PX100, conversely, are wonderful, but yeah, no good for sound isolation.

Hard to find a cheap sound isolating option of acceptable quality that aren't IEMs to be honest with you. Are your CX500 broken? Why not get a new pair of them if you like them? If you want some non-IEM sound isolating phones the HD202 might be a good option. They don't need an amp, have plenty of bass are a step up in SQ from the PX200. HD201 are nice too but have a serious bass deficiency that will need EQ to solve.

If your willing to spend some more money - I just got some ATH-M50 - my god they aren't even half burned in but already are my favorite headphones by a mile. Simply love them. Sound isolation and incredibly accurate sound - the old cliche "hearing things you never noticed before" definitely applies.
My CX500's aren't broken at all. The reason why I want another pair of headphones is because I want to use the CX500's for travel, and over-the-ear headphones for home use. My price limit is $100, if anybody has any other recommendations I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks,

-McDougal

P.S. I might consider buying the PX100's again, since I'll only be using them at home, where sound isolation doesn't really matter.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
My CX500's aren't broken at all. The reason why I want another pair of headphones is because I want to use the CX500's for travel, and over-the-ear headphones for home use. My price limit is $100, if anybody has any other recommendations I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks,

-McDougal

P.S. I might consider buying the PX100's again, since I'll only be using them at home, where sound isolation doesn't really matter.
I think you'd like them^^, and they would probably match well with your Z:HD. They're comfortable enough to wear all day, if you are so inclined.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think you'd like them^^, and they would probably match well with your Z:HD. They're comfortable enough to wear all day, if you are so inclined.
Okay... I think I'll get the PX100's. I do have one question though, about these reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...rBy=addOneStar

All of them vote one star because of the fragile chord and they claim that they won't last more than a year. Is this true? I'd like a pair of headphones that last for a very long time.

Thanks,

-McDougal
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Okay... I think I'll get the PX100's. I do have one question though, about these reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...rBy=addOneStar

All of them vote one star because of the fragile chord and they claim that they won't last more than a year. Is this true? I'd like a pair of headphones that last for a very long time.

Thanks,

-McDougal
I think if you are mainly using them around the house then it shouldn't be an issue. That's where I use mine mostly, and having them since June, they're still in pristine condition. The cord could be at risk if you wrap them up too tightly in the hard case, I suspect that's where it fails for most people. Since you use your CX500's away from home, I think you'd be fine.

It's also worth stating that many Amazon reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of them are written by utterly clueless people....I've read many of them and shaken my head at the "reviewers" lack of knowledge.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,044
Default

Try these: Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

They compare quite nicely w/the PX100's, have a

lifetime warranty, and the SQ is rumored to be

quite impressive. The low cost is a plus as well,.....

Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.