android
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Sennheiser PX100

Hi all,

I found these: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...8062354&sr=1-3

I was wondering how their sound quality compared with my Sennheiser CX500 earbuds? Is it as good, or not as good?

Thanks,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The PX100 need very little power to run....just about any player will power them as loud as you would like(probably useful for you since I've read some people say the Z:HD isn't loud enough).

I find them to have a pretty good overall sound balance....I do some slight EQ-ing with mine, but that's more to do with my individual ears than anything else. Also, they're very comfortable and light-weight.

I don't have the CX500, so I can't make a comparison between the two....hopefully this helps somewhat though.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
General Audio Moderator

The px-100 are hands down in my opinion the best headphones in the $40 price range, well worth it well balanced and efficient. Build quality is pretty decent as well

Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You guys forgot to mention one important thing when comparing the CX500 to the PX100. The CX500 earphone isolates quite well, while the PX100 is open and doesn't isolate at all. Isolating earphones are good for noisy environments where you don't have to hear the surroundings.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks everybody for the replies. And thank you JK98 for letting me know about the open design. I think because of the open design, I will not be able to get them. I'm so used to noise isolation from using the CX500's for so long. However, I did find these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Would you recommend these?

Thanks,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

As for me, I tried the PX100 and returned them back in a few days. I did not like the SQ because I prefer a lot of bass, and to me, they sounded anemic. i don't have the CX500s to make a comparison either.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
As for me, I tried the PX100 and returned them back in a few days. I did not like the SQ because I prefer a lot of bass, and to me, they sounded anemic. i don't have the CX500s to make a comparison either.
I find they have plenty of bass.....and if you're not averse to enhancements/EQ-ing, they can be little bass monsters(either DNSe 3.0 Bass or Sony Clear Bass).

They're like the polar opposite of my SR60i's....the SR60i's are bass-light to my ears until I enable Clear Bass or DSNe, and with the PX100's I like to bump up the mid/upper-mids slightly.

But of course, all our ears are different.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 AM

As Marvin has said, all ears are different, but for me the PX200 are trash. It makes your music sound like it is bound and gagged and stuffed into a tin can. A lot more bass with them, but vocals sound awful and all the different elements of your recording sound stuck together in thick mud.

The PX100, conversely, are wonderful, but yeah, no good for sound isolation.

Hard to find a cheap sound isolating option of acceptable quality that aren't IEMs to be honest with you. Are your CX500 broken? Why not get a new pair of them if you like them? If you want some non-IEM sound isolating phones the HD202 might be a good option. They don't need an amp, have plenty of bass are a step up in SQ from the PX200. HD201 are nice too but have a serious bass deficiency that will need EQ to solve.

If your willing to spend some more money - I just got some ATH-M50 - my god they aren't even half burned in but already are my favorite headphones by a mile. Simply love them. Sound isolation and incredibly accurate sound - the old cliche "hearing things you never noticed before" definitely applies.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
As Marvin has said, all ears are different, but for me the PX200 are trash. It makes your music sound like it is bound and gagged and stuffed into a tin can. A lot more bass with them, but vocals sound awful and all the different elements of your recording sound stuck together in thick mud.

The PX100, conversely, are wonderful, but yeah, no good for sound isolation.

Hard to find a cheap sound isolating option of acceptable quality that aren't IEMs to be honest with you. Are your CX500 broken? Why not get a new pair of them if you like them? If you want some non-IEM sound isolating phones the HD202 might be a good option. They don't need an amp, have plenty of bass are a step up in SQ from the PX200. HD201 are nice too but have a serious bass deficiency that will need EQ to solve.

If your willing to spend some more money - I just got some ATH-M50 - my god they aren't even half burned in but already are my favorite headphones by a mile. Simply love them. Sound isolation and incredibly accurate sound - the old cliche "hearing things you never noticed before" definitely applies.
My CX500's aren't broken at all. The reason why I want another pair of headphones is because I want to use the CX500's for travel, and over-the-ear headphones for home use. My price limit is $100, if anybody has any other recommendations I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks,

-McDougal

P.S. I might consider buying the PX100's again, since I'll only be using them at home, where sound isolation doesn't really matter.

Retired Devices:

Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
My CX500's aren't broken at all. The reason why I want another pair of headphones is because I want to use the CX500's for travel, and over-the-ear headphones for home use. My price limit is $100, if anybody has any other recommendations I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks,

-McDougal

P.S. I might consider buying the PX100's again, since I'll only be using them at home, where sound isolation doesn't really matter.
I think you'd like them^^, and they would probably match well with your Z:HD. They're comfortable enough to wear all day, if you are so inclined.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think you'd like them^^, and they would probably match well with your Z:HD. They're comfortable enough to wear all day, if you are so inclined.
Okay... I think I'll get the PX100's. I do have one question though, about these reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...rBy=addOneStar

All of them vote one star because of the fragile chord and they claim that they won't last more than a year. Is this true? I'd like a pair of headphones that last for a very long time.

Thanks,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Okay... I think I'll get the PX100's. I do have one question though, about these reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...rBy=addOneStar

All of them vote one star because of the fragile chord and they claim that they won't last more than a year. Is this true? I'd like a pair of headphones that last for a very long time.

Thanks,

-McDougal
I think if you are mainly using them around the house then it shouldn't be an issue. That's where I use mine mostly, and having them since June, they're still in pristine condition. The cord could be at risk if you wrap them up too tightly in the hard case, I suspect that's where it fails for most people. Since you use your CX500's away from home, I think you'd be fine.

It's also worth stating that many Amazon reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of them are written by utterly clueless people....I've read many of them and shaken my head at the "reviewers" lack of knowledge.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try these: Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

They compare quite nicely w/the PX100's, have a

lifetime warranty, and the SQ is rumored to be

quite impressive. The low cost is a plus as well,.....