android
Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Default MP3 players vs mobile phones

Hi everybody, I'm wondering if actual mobile phones integrated music player is in any way comparable to good mp3 players like sansa fuze or zune or...

thanks to everybody

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned

Not really.. Although a few phones' music players are good these days - Blackberry, 5800 etc.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Not really.. Although a few phones' music players are good these days - Blackberry, 5800 etc.
I tried asking a guy at work about the SQ of the Sony Ericsson phone he just got(no idea on which one it is) and he said it sounds good, but he's never had a DAP, and his home headphones are MDR-V300's.....I never heard them, but I didn't like the V150's. So in the end I have no idea if the damn phone sounds good or not....lol.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Even if the sound quality is great on a phone that plays music, it probably won't have many advanced features that better mp3 players have. I also wouldn't want to miss important phone calls since I ran down my phone's battery listening to music. I guess if a phone could be designed with a very high capacity battery, cheap spare batteries, and a charger that charges the spare battery outside the phone, then this wouldn't be such a concern.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM

@ JK98
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22691
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21848

Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM

IMO phones are not a good option as an mp3 player. It doesn't match the Sound quality of dedicated mp3 players. Their ok for casual I forgot my mp3 player listening but if your serious about your music then get a dedicated mp3 player.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Even if mobile phones had music players comparable to that of MP3 players I think I'd still prefer MP3 players just because I really don't care about music playing features on phones.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

well, using your cellphone as your Mp3 player would be kinda like my last resort if I really can't carry 2 devices around in my pocket, or can't afford both.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM

I loaded some music onto my phone (Nokia 6120c), and it wasn't that it sounded awful, it was more the fact that it just used so many resources of my phone. Everything else became sluggish. It didn't go through that much battery (as long as I used the headphones) but otherwise, it is painfully slow to use.

Thats why I have the dedicated DAP and phone. Plus my DAPs hold more then my phone ever could.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM

What about the Nokia N900? I know it's a little pricey, but it's pretty much an internet tablet that can make phone calls. I've heard the SQ is alright, but I doubt it's better than having a dedicated player. I have a Nokia E71, and it only has a 2.5 mm headphone jack (which is worthless). However, many of the newer Nokia phones have a 3.5 mm jack, so at least get one with that.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
What about the Nokia N900? I know it's a little pricey, but it's pretty much an internet tablet that can make phone calls. I've heard the SQ is alright, but I doubt it's better than having a dedicated player. I have a Nokia E71, and it only has a 2.5 mm headphone jack (which is worthless). However, many of the newer Nokia phones have a 3.5 mm jack, so at least get one with that.
N900? are you kidding me that thing is a mini laptop, if you can afford it then I envy you sir. 64 possible gigabytes with a sdhc card, I personally think a few phones can do both very well like the n900 and other smartphones, and with maemo 5 you are guaranteed a steady stream of updates. Now in terms of audio quality I don't think you should expect s9 or even clip+ quality. but hey for 600$$ they might actually make a effort and make it even more godlier than it already is.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

To my ears on its line-out setting and without any EQ, my Nokia 5800 sounds nearly as good as my Clip+ using the same phones.

When I'm out and about I'll listen to it rather than a DAP if I don't want to miss a phone call. Battery life is a lot better than a Clip+ too.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 PM

Meizu M8 SE uses a Wolfson WM8993 codec together with a Samsung 6410 processor. Great multimedia device, but has some annoying bugs as a phone. The next major firmware upgrade (supposedly due by the end of the year) promises to incorporate RC3/Silverlight features into the WinCE 6.0-based OS. They've been hammering away for months now, so we'll see how good it gets.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Mp3 players sound much much better, no doubt. Somes phones sound good, but if you compare them with good pmps like Sansa clip, Fuze, Cowon D2 etc, you feel you really are missing a lot of juice in music played on a phone. My brother was always praising his HTC HD 1 for its sound quality. But after he listened to my Cowon D2, he never used his HTC for music.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preth30 View Post
Mp3 players sound much much better, no doubt. Somes phones sound good, but if you compare them with good pmps like Sansa clip, Fuze, Cowon D2 etc, you feel you really are missing a lot of juice in music played on a phone. My brother was always praising his HTC HD 1 for its sound quality. But after he listened to my Cowon D2, he never used his HTC for music.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHBUA!!!! Thread from da' DEAD MON!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM

I think an advantage of a Dedicated Digitial Audio Player (DDAP) over a multi-purpose device (including cell phones, smart phones, and e-book readers) is that on a DDAP the controls are designed specifically for music playing. To me, this works better than shoe horning music-playing controls into a set of controls that serves many different functions.

To backup the comment about battery life, I once used my Sony E-Book Reader (a PRS-500) as an audio player. When used just as an e-book reader it had very good battery life. Even with heavy use I could go for three or four days on a charge. However, when I used it as an audio player the batteries drained fairly quickly (if I remember correctly it dropped by one bar of charge in less than 30 minutes). Plus, I had to move back and forth between the e-book reader function and the audio player function to do anything other than changing the volume.

After that experience, I decided to use my e-reader as just an e-reader, and leave the music playing to my audio player. That gives me a better experience with both functions.
iTunes, MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM

I use my phone while i'm sitting at my computer and it's charging connected to speakers. When I'm at home I use my laptop so have no use for my phones browser/twitter stuff. This way i have some background music and my phone is always charged when i go out. When out though my battery sucks. The other day my battery was almost dead by 6:30 at night and I hadn't really done anything demanding. I had used gps for about 20 minutes, maybe made a few facebooks posts and listened to some music but the battery was almost dead. I'd rather drain my clips battery than worry about not being able to make an important phone call or get directions while lost when i'm out. Also I like to put it in my shirt pocket and having my htc inspire in there really weighs me down. Also how am i supposed to continue listening to a podcast while installing a custom rom? Maybe someday I'll switch completely to my phone for music but not quite there yet.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM

For listening to music, I switched from a dedicated music player (a Sansa Clip), to my Cellphone (Sony Xperia mini pro). I hear no appreciable difference in sound quality, if anything the phone has slightly better bass. I use Koss Portapro headphones, and it sounds great to my ears. I bought the Power Amp music player application for the phone for $5, since the music management on the built in app was poor, and it had no equalizer.

I like it much better since I do not have to carry multiple devices, and I have dedicated audiobook, radio and podcast apps that are miles better than anything on a standalone mp3 player.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It isn't that cheap though at around $180. It doesn't have HD radio or a second card slot. The camera is low resolution. It might be the best thing thing available for $180, however it doesn't thrill me.