android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Available Zune HD car mounts? Plus some wanted feedback.

Hey guys,

I am probably ordering a black 32 in the next day or so but want to know if anyone has found a good car mount with the following requirements;
1. I want the actual "mount" part to be a Car charger plug arm, no windshield or cup holder type.
2. I would prefer if the charging portion where a cable type that you could plug in only when needed instead of a dock so it isnt always charging.
3. It has to be compatible with using an aux cable to my deck, preferably without any FM transmitter built in.

The closest thing I have found is this:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211420384

It obviously has the FM transmitter but I'm sure i dont have to use it, but is this the best thing out there or have any of you found something better....hopefully?

Also I have been monitoring this forum for a while to get real world info on the new HD. I have a few questions. Other than standard run of the mill bad apple every now and then have there been any glitches or QC issues in the launch units? The only reason I ask is I usually wait a few months before buying a new tech item cuz they often have 1st batch issues. I havent been able to find any reports but just want to check here.

thanks, and sorry for the wall-o-text first post

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Zune Moderator

That one looks like it doesn't have a aux output.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
That one looks like it doesn't have a aux output.
But since it uses a built-in audio cable to get sound from the Zune's headphone jack, you could simply leave that disconnected and route a separate mini-to-mini cable from the player's headphone-out to the car's AUX input.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM

Ya, i'm already running an aux from my Zune 30's headphone jack to my deck so im assuming I could just not plug in the fm transmitter cable at all and run aux from the zune itself. From what I can see it looks like the charging part uses a usb dongle which is odd. I was hoping someone else wanted or had the same setup and had found one better.

P.S. so no one has heard of any widespread problems with the HD yet right? I have seen a few posts of random software glitches and screen issues.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Zune Moderator

To answer your second question, I have not heard of any wide spread issues.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM

No issues here, I love my Zune. I use a mount similar to the one mentioned above that that just clamps the device from the sides but uses a suction cup to the window, and an iGo charger. Works out fine for me.

Cory

Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only widespread (somewhat common) problem they had from the start was shipping Zune HD originals with the wrong art. Slightly less common are defects with the OLED screen, usually a white line appearing across it.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM

cool, thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered a black 32, no art. Now any chance I get it before Halloween?

Man, I wish they had more accessories out, walking into Best buy and seeing a whole aisle dedicated to iPod stuff and then looking at the Zunes 6 pegs bugs me.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Lighter-...0&sr=8-2-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/Lighter-Power-...120878&sr=8-16

These two together should work. Plug the lighter/USB adapter into the extra socket and the Zune cable into the adapter.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM

Smile

I used the mount that i purchased for my old Zune and modified it slightly.

Belkin TuneBase FM For Zune - Digital player car holder / FM transmitter / charger

You can buy this charger for like 15 bucks on ebay.

I purchased some peal and stick foam from walmart and then cut strips to fit the old Zune charger. Afterward my Zune HD fit nice and snug. It plugs right in and charges, it also has an Aux port of the bottom.

Here are some images of how it turned out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-31 18.54.40.jpg (119.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-31 18.45.14.jpg (26.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-31 18.46.44.jpg (25.1 KB, 44 views)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM

I would suggest a mount from ProClip USA.

http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home.aspx

It costs about thirty dollars. The nice thing about the proclip is that it comes in two parts: the part that connects to your vehicle, and the part custom fitted for the device. The part that connects to your vehicle is custom made to fit your make and model.

I think that is pretty cool.

Thanks,
jbgrzy

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually those are about 65 USD. Thirty for the car mount and 35 for the device holder.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Actually those are about 65 USD. Thirty for the car mount and 35 for the device holder.
You are right. My bad.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 AM

I got a proclip shortly after I got my ZuneHD (about a year ago) and love it - although it's a little pricier than other mounts around, it's by far the sturdiest I've seen, for any device. I have a cable strapped to the back which runs to my head unit, and if I need to charge the thing (which, despite the 2-3 hours I spend in the car each day, isn't often ~once a week), I just plug it into a supercompact USB adapter I found. (http://www.maplin.co.uk/micro-dc-to-usb-adaptor-274029)