android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

I dunno where all the stink comes from. I had Ink'd and Marshmallows. Some days I liked the Marshmallows better and some days I liked the Ink'd better but neither really satisfied me so I started looking for a high value upgrade. After reading lots of reviews I got the SkullCandy Titan's on sale at Target for $40 after reading one hi-fi mag gave them a good review and ranked them better than the FMJ. I also like that I could return then easily.

And I have been very happy with them. life changing? No, but very satisfying to me.

Some call them bass heavy which I disagree with. They play what bass is there, no more, no less. On some songs the bass has a touch too much bloom. They are not bass shy which is nice because I don't have to jack up the volume looking for bass. To me they have a nice natural sound and find myself forgetting about the phones and listening to the music, which is unusual for me. I have 1/3 octave equalizer on my system at home and I'm always tweaking this Freq or that. Imaging is not great, but not horrible. I do Jam them in pretty good. Pull my earcanal to they go in farther but unlike both the Marsh's and Ink'd they don't reach my eardrum. I get a good seal and still very comfortable.

If I was too really critique them I would say that I would like a little more resolution between the bass guitar and kick drum and they have a frequency hole around the frequency of the snare drum. I hear the sizzle of the snare but the sound of the snare DRUM is buried. It's a minor thing. Everything else sounds pretty balanced across blues/jazz/folk/classic rock/80's. Oh and they sound good for acoustic guitar which I listen a lot to.

They do a good job with male voice, getting plenty of chest sound, and female vocals don't get screechy. And as you can imagine from what I have written they are forgiving of poorly recorded source material. Which I have a lot of.

Very satisfied for $40. I don't find myself needing an upgrade which is really strange for me. I am always shopping for my 'next' everything.

Before anyone starts in on me, I know sound. I was a live sound engineer, sat in on more recording/remix sessions that I can count, Own a good stereo based on Polk LSi9's and Onkyo 9.1 Home theater receiver and a bedroom system based on Dynaudio Contour speakers with separate components. I have had friends who have worked at high-end stereo stores, I have heard my CD's played through $30,000 dynaudio speakers connected to 30,000 more in equipment.

It you like clinical sound and tons of separation, these are probably not for you. But if you would rather have a little touch too much bass, rather than not enough, and you like a natural, musical sound, I think these are worth a look. Sorry to buck the SkullCandy suks sentiment.

Im going to go put them in right now to go to sleep.

I listen on a fuse and rip WMA VBR 135-215 on WMP 12 on windows 7.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 PM

I listened to my friend's Skullcandy Ink'd (before they broke) and I was shocked at how bad they sounded - the bass was overwhelming and I could barely hear the vocals.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezas View Post
I dunno where all the stink comes from. I had Ink'd and Marshmallows. Some days I liked the Marshmallows better and some days I liked the Ink'd better but neither really satisfied me so I started looking for a high value upgrade. After reading lots of reviews I got the SkullCandy Titan's on sale at Target for $40 after reading one hi-fi mag gave them a good review and ranked them better than the FMJ. I also like that I could return then easily.

And I have been very happy with them. life changing? No, but very satisfying to me.

Some call them bass heavy which I disagree with. They play what bass is there, no more, no less. On some songs the bass has a touch too much bloom. They are not bass shy which is nice because I don't have to jack up the volume looking for bass. To me they have a nice natural sound and find myself forgetting about the phones and listening to the music, which is unusual for me. I have 1/3 octave equalizer on my system at home and I'm always tweaking this Freq or that. Imaging is not great, but not horrible. I do Jam them in pretty good. Pull my earcanal to they go in farther but unlike both the Marsh's and Ink'd they don't reach my eardrum. I get a good seal and still very comfortable.

If I was too really critique them I would say that I would like a little more resolution between the bass guitar and kick drum and they have a frequency hole around the frequency of the snare drum. I hear the sizzle of the snare but the sound of the snare DRUM is buried. It's a minor thing. Everything else sounds pretty balanced across blues/jazz/folk/classic rock/80's. Oh and they sound good for acoustic guitar which I listen a lot to.

They do a good job with male voice, getting plenty of chest sound, and female vocals don't get screechy. And as you can imagine from what I have written they are forgiving of poorly recorded source material. Which I have a lot of.

Very satisfied for $40. I don't find myself needing an upgrade which is really strange for me. I am always shopping for my 'next' everything.

Before anyone starts in on me, I know sound. I was a live sound engineer, sat in on more recording/remix sessions that I can count, Own a good stereo based on Polk LSi9's and Onkyo 9.1 Home theater receiver and a bedroom system based on Dynaudio Contour speakers with separate components. I have had friends who have worked at high-end stereo stores, I have heard my CD's played through $30,000 dynaudio speakers connected to 30,000 more in equipment.

It you like clinical sound and tons of separation, these are probably not for you. But if you would rather have a little touch too much bass, rather than not enough, and you like a natural, musical sound, I think these are worth a look. Sorry to buck the SkullCandy suks sentiment.

Im going to go put them in right now to go to sleep.

I listen on a fuse and rip WMA VBR 135-215 on WMP 12 on windows 7.
From my own experience, the Skullcandy IEMs sound alright for the money. Indeed, it has an overwhelming bass, but for that price point, that was the only major complaint I had.

The Skullcandy fullsize, or portables, however, are a completely different story.
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 PM

If you adjust your equalizer right skulk's sound fine. If the vocals are too quiet, turn the mids up. If the bass is too high, turn it down.

The ink'ds are known for breaking, I have a pair of FMJs right now and they're doing fine.

Tags
broken, earbuds, fix, glue, headphones