android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Playing Single File

"You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent."

Great quote, but so far the S9 is so far ahead of me, I think I'm getting dumber rather than smarter.

OK. question ... please someone tell me how to play a song. One single song. Or add one single song to favorites and have it play and not move on to stuff I don't want to hear.

Here's the issue. I click album, artist or song in the browser. The list opens. I select a song -- 1 file -- I double click it and it plays and it loads every other song in that category, the entire album or 4,000 song list, into the virtual "now playing list." (I say virtual because there is no real now playing list per se.)

So my one song plays and than all the other songs play ...

Scenario 2: I select a song and add it to favorites. It plays like it's supposed to but when finished, instead of stopping or replaying the favorites list it just moves along and begins playing all the other songs in the album I added (or the whole track list) the favorite from even though those aren't listed in the favorites list.

This is driving me nuts. Here's what I'd like to do. (I only bought the Cowon because it is alleged to do on-the-fly playlists and most other high-end players, thanks a lot MS and Sony, don't.)

Sitting on an airplane, for example, you play a couple of tunes and decide you'd like to hear songs a. b. and c. after them ... you browse your tracks, select the ones you want, press something like an add to queue (aka favorites) button and they begin playing after the songs you've already queued up and stop.

Seems so simple, but it can be done. Why, oh why, can't any PMP maker get these interface issues right. Why don't they spend a few hundred bucks and buy their chief designer a Sonos controller or license Sonos front end ... it's so, so bloody simple, select a song while the Sonos is playing and three choices pop up: Play Now, Play Next and Add to End of Queue.

That ain't rocket science, bro, and it ain't beyond the capabilities of the processors in today's PMPs either. All the problems in this area, especially those at companies with totally mindless features like (hi, again, Sony) external rockers that DON'T control volume are because the engineers at these companies don't listen to music -- at least not on their own devices.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I need a different UCI to do what I want. Is their one that would?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]