android
Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Unhappy No sound, and volume has disappeared!

Hi - I hope someone can help me soon as I am addicted to my player, and it's suddenly stopped working!

It appears to be playing tracks, and videos, just fine. But the sound has vanished. Instinctively I tried it with a different pair of headphones, and it's definitely the player that's the problem.

However, I also realised that the volume functionality has disappeared. When I press either of the volume buttons there is no sign of the volume symbols appearing on the display.

Also of note is that the sound comes out just fine when I plug it into my Sony speaker dock, which is not connected through the headphone jack but the USB socket.

If the problem is with the headphone jack (which was my first thought given that it connects through the USB but not headphones), then why is the volume also not appearing?

And more to the point, is there anything I can do to solve this short of sending it away to be fixed/replaced?

Many thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina View Post
Hi - I hope someone can help me soon as I am addicted to my player, and it's suddenly stopped working!

It appears to be playing tracks, and videos, just fine. But the sound has vanished. Instinctively I tried it with a different pair of headphones, and it's definitely the player that's the problem.

However, I also realised that the volume functionality has disappeared. When I press either of the volume buttons there is no sign of the volume symbols appearing on the display.

Also of note is that the sound comes out just fine when I plug it into my Sony speaker dock, which is not connected through the headphone jack but the USB socket.

If the problem is with the headphone jack (which was my first thought given that it connects through the USB but not headphones), then why is the volume also not appearing?

And more to the point, is there anything I can do to solve this short of sending it away to be fixed/replaced?

Many thanks!
We could possibly help more if you let us know exactly which player you have.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM

Sorry, I'm an idiot - I forgot!

It's an NWZ-S639F

Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry, I'm an idiot - I forgot!

It's an NWZ-S639F
Well, I don't have that one, but there are some people here that do have an S639.
Do you know , does it have a reset button on the back, in a little tiny hole? I have an S545, , not an S639, so I can't really think of anything else to try......hopefully one of the guys will have more ideas.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks for that... yes it does, but I just tried it and resetting it does not make a difference. :/

Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM

maybe you should clean the wmport ,it could be bad contact.you should also try to enter test mode and test sound output.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post
maybe you should clean the wmport ,it could be bad contact.you should also try to enter test mode and test sound output.
Is the wmport the USB port? Cos if yes, I don't see how that would help as I doubt that is the problem. It could do with a clean though... what's the safest way to go about that?

Also, I've never heard of test mode - how do I use it?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
...Also, I've never heard of test mode - how do I use it?

Thanks!
You can try looking in this thread on test mode for the A82X, not sure if it's the same for the S639 though.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM

yeah I agree about the test mode and test the sound output (hold the back button till you get to the blue cellphone menu type thing, engage hold. the hold the option key while pressing up up down down right left up down up down right pause) and if that doesn't work try returning it

and yeah I don't think it works for the S series

Old 10-06-2009, 06:36 PM

you can access test mode with the following procedure:
go to the homescreen,put switch "hold" on and while maintaining "option" enter the following sequence: up/play/right/play/down/play/left/play/up/play/down/play.after the reboot ,switch hold off.select "audio" to test the audio output.select "exittest" to exit test mode.

edit:this is the right procedure for the s639.the procedures above won't work as they are for earlier models.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
go to the homescreen,put switch "hold" on and while maintaining "option" enter the following sequence: up/play/right/play/down/play/left/play/up/play/down/play.after the reboot ,switch hold off.select "audio" to test the audio output.select "exittest" to exit test mode.

edit:this is the right procedure for the s639.the procedures above won't work as they are for earlier models.

Hey mate, your the person that I know who knows the secret menu for the S series

Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Okay, so I've tried that a few times but I don't really understand what's supposed to be happening.

Do you mean put the hold on, and then (with it on hold) press that sequence of buttons whilst holding down the 'option' button? Because it switches itself off half way through me doing that and then just comes on as normal when I take off the hold.

You'll have to bear with me as I've never tried going into test mode before. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I've tried that a few times but I don't really understand what's supposed to be happening.

Do you mean put the hold on, and then (with it on hold) press that sequence of buttons whilst holding down the 'option' button? Because it switches itself off half way through me doing that and then just comes on as normal when I take off the hold.

You'll have to bear with me as I've never tried going into test mode before. Thanks for your help.
Its suppose to reset itself and start in a secret menu mode that has bubbles on it then you unhold it

Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
Its suppose to reset itself and start in a secret menu mode that has bubbles on it then you unhold it
Okay, great, I'm in the test mode now.

I'll just describe what it says and does when I go into the Audio section and try each bit within that. Long post alert!!!

OUTPUT: "1 KHz, 0dBs, L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 25]" (It makes a continuous sound at presumably maximum volume, in both ears. However, I cannot change the volume. Should I be able to?)

SN: "Infinity zero", "HPOUT [VOL: 30]" (No sound)

F1: "20Hz 0dBs L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 25]" (No sound)

F2: "20kHz 0dBs L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 25]" (No sound)

SEPLR: "1kHz 0dBs Lch", "HPOUT [VOL: 25]" (Continuous sound in left ear only. Maximum allowed volume, cannot be adjusted)

SEPRL: "1kHz 0dBs Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 25]" (Continuous sound in right ear only. Maximum allowed volume, cannot be adjusted)

MAXOUT: "1kHz 0dBs L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 30]", "AVLS OFF" (Continuous sound in both ears. Volume level is actually higher than the allowed limit I think - hence 30 not 25 - and cannot be adjusted)

NMLZR: "1kHz -24dBs L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 30]" Continuous sound in both ears. Volume level is considerably lower than the above tests, despite the "30". Once again, volume cannot be adjusted.

SPCHK: "1kHz 0dBs L/Rch", "HPOUT [VOL: 30]" (Continuous sound in both ears. Volume level at absolute maximum, and cannot be adjusted).

USER1: "HPOUT [VOL: 15]" (No sound. Also, a timer starts counting minutes/seconds. Although there is no sound, when the press the volume buttons the volume number does actually change, in either direction!!!)

USER2: As above

USER3: As above

ALL TESTS: On all the above tests where there is sound, the sound switches off completely (and "HPOUT" text changes to "LINEOUT") when I press the volume up button, and comes back on when I press it again. Even on tests where there is no sound (except the "user" ones), the text also changes.

Also I think in all tests where there is sound there is a gap in the sound every minute or so. The gap is slightly longer for some tests than others.

So basically, the volume is not working except in the 3 "user" test (where there is no sound).

In case this isn't obvious, I have no idea what any of the above actually means! If anyone is familliar with any of this and thinks they know what might be up, I'd be so grateful for some pointers!

P.S. Fortunately my earphones have their own volume control, which I kept at minimum the whole time, so I can confirm that my ears are still working despite the loudness (although even then I had to take my earphones out for the really loud tests!).

Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM

Oh, and the FM radio test gives continuous white noise, the volume of which can be adjusted. So it's weird that the radio itself isn't working at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

That all sounds normal (at least it's the same as mine, which is working).

Exit the test menu and restart. If it's still not wiorking, I'd suggest returning it.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks so much. It's looking that way.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, S639 test mode, oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Totally useless, as it's not possible to change any settings.
But my S639 sounds so good I don't need to change anything - so it's all good!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 10-07-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Hmmm, S639 test mode, oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Totally useless, as it's not possible to change any settings.
But my S639 sounds so good I don't need to change anything - so it's all good!!!
Really No more DAC settings?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
Really No more DAC settings?
None bro, none,.............

Tags
problems, sound, troubleshooting, volume