android
Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Sehnhiser HD201's vs Soundmagic PL21's

Well recently I have been researching headphones in the under 20 range and have found these to be the best ones for the price.
But I can't decide if I should go for the cans or the IEM's, perhaps you could compare them for me, listing the advantages and advantages.
I like my bass, which the IEM's seem to do better than the cans, but apparently IEM's are worse at most of the other things, especially the soundstage.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know what player you have, but I can say that the HD201's need power....with my Clip and Fuze when I had them, a FiiO amp was required. I don't use mine for music anymore, just for late night TV/movie watching hooked up to my home stereo receiver.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM

I have a Sansa Clip actually, buying an amp would exceed my budget.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 PM

For cans try looking into the Sennheiser HD202 instead, their only $5 more Stateside and from what I hear they don't need an amp.

As for the cans v iems thing they both have their uses. I have iems for portable use, and I ordered the Sennheiser HD202 to use in my dorm.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Well my old IEM's died(ep-630), and I have a good 5.1 setup in my room so I will probably go for the PL21's as I need something portable.
What is the build quality like on the PL21's by the way.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
Well recently I have been researching headphones in the under 20 range and have found these to be the best ones for the price.
But I can't decide if I should go for the cans or the IEM's, perhaps you could compare them for me, listing the advantages and advantages.
I like my bass, which the IEM's seem to do better than the cans, but apparently IEM's are worse at most of the other things, especially the soundstage.

I was in your boat in researching Sennheiser phones. Finally, I ordered two refurbished pairs from a seller on Amazon. I have gotten them today. One pair is the HD 201. They are good enough, considering that I paid about 6.99 plus 4.00 or so shipping. But as someone else has said, they certainly do sound underpowered. Not a big fan of bass, even I say it is lacking in these. The other pair is the EH 150, which have a nicer fuller sound, even if they are ugly as hell. I probably paid about $1.00 more for these. They are both in like new condition and came in Samsung packaging. I say look at the EH 150 if you can. I got mine from Kccmart at Amazon. Just know that the complaints about the small earcups are well deserved. I chanced it with these because I have small ears, and they barrely fit within the earcups, whereas, they are a bit egulfed by the 201s. By the way, looking at the specs of the EH 150's and the HD 202's (which a lot of people here recommend), I see that they are identical except for in color. Go for one of these over the 201's.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
For cans try looking into the Sennheiser HD202 instead, their only $5 more Stateside and from what I hear they don't need an amp.

As for the cans v iems thing they both have their uses. I have iems for portable use, and I ordered the Sennheiser HD202 to use in my dorm.
I had the HD202's and they're great. They don't need amping at all, so they'd be the cheap excellent sounding choice. And, I don't do cans vs iem comparisons myself, dem's apple's and oranges.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM

I'll give some impressions on the pl21 when it arrives.