android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM

i can't imagine Nvidia touting their GPU flash capabilities if Adobe was playing hardball about releasing flash....i'm guessing all MS has to do is flip a switch and they were probably going to wait for Nvidia's announcement before doing so....that's probably why Dave hasn't really talked at all about Flash up until this point.....

wouldn't want the cat out too soon and kill the buzz. Not to mention the Zune HD is pretty prominent on Nvidia's webpage....can't see Chess being the big BANG they're trying to push the public into getting.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Dave,
I am not surprised, it's just that this kind of situation happens alot. The same exact rumor flew for iPhone when it was just the 3g. "Apple is working with Adobe to develop a power efficient mobile flash" In reality, to this date, this feature still isn't added yet. I am simply saying that, as long as the developers has not directly confirm the feature(s), it is nothing.The same context can go for flash or (for me) WPA enterprise. Sure the developers are well aware of the situation. Rumor that Zune Developers are adding this and working on that. You can call me pessimist but I have my fair share of disappointments. I am positive that the Zune Team is working diligently on improving the Zune experience, but as I said before, I will believe it when I see it.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Buddy

Well, okay - I just wanted to make sure you weren't surprised. Nobody is saying your ideas here aren't good - the list that Medion is putting together is awesome - but even if we were going to implement every single last one of them, we definitely wouldn't be talking about it publicly here.

Rumours are just that.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Well, okay - I just wanted to make sure you weren't surprised. Nobody is saying your ideas here aren't good - the list that Medion is putting together is awesome - but even if we were going to implement every single last one of them, we definitely wouldn't be talking about it publicly here.

Rumours are just that.

Cheers, Dave.
No problem, I understand. I am always a little pessimistic, and complains alot like a kid. However, I am willing to wait for the Zune team to add features to the device, hopefully they will 'surprise' me with their next firmware. Lastly, I want you to know that it is a great feeling to be able to talk with someone who is actually part of the company.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBandit View Post
The reason why the iTouch/iPhone is not getting flash support is because Apple need to pay Adobe for flash support.

Again we not talking about normal flash support here, we talking about GPU flash which means Nvidia pay off Adobe so they can use there GPU on there flash meaning Zune HD has the Nvidia GPU meaning Adobe can't do nothing about about the Zune HD since Nvidia already pay them for GPU flash support on there hardware ^_^
I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. There is no such thing as "GPU FLash" though I'm sure you're just referring to hardware accelerated Flash. I this case, this has existed for awhile, and NV likely is just going to announce that they have support for hardware accelerated Flash via Tegra. This more than likely will be for Tegra 600/650, which is for lower end netbooks. Even if it is the APX2500/2600, that could be for upcoming smarphones, and not the ZHD.

MS would still have to pay Adobe the royalty to get it onto the ZHD, not NV. That's the main stumbling block.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Banned

I doubt ms will add java. They will simply add silverlight which is their baby and frankly much better than java. I'm sure we will get an app for youtube.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 PM

I want better loading times.. like decent ones for pages, tabbed browsing, the ability to post on forums like this with it, and faster times between exiting the browser and loading the main screen before I want flash support on this. Thats just me personally though.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioncloud9 View Post
I want better loading times.. like decent ones for pages, tabbed browsing, the ability to post on forums like this with it, and faster times between exiting the browser and loading the main screen before I want flash support on this. Thats just me personally though.
You can post on these forums with a Zune HD.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=47848

Old 10-05-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
NV likely is just going to announce that they have support for hardware accelerated Flash via Tegra.
aaand they just did http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/05/f...a-screen-webo/. The press release says there will be a Windows Mobile beta later this year.

Last edited by CheeToS; 10-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS View Post
aaand they just did http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/05/f...a-screen-webo/. The press release says there will be a Windows Mobile beta later this year.
Here's the cliffnotes for those who didn't want to click the link:

-Adobe will be releasing Flash 10.1 for PC, MAC, and Linux later this month.
-A portable version in Beta form for Windows Mobile and WebOS (Palm Pre) will be available later THIS year.
-Beta versions will hit Android (Google) and Symbian (Nokia) in early 2010
-RIM (Blackberry) is signed up, but no ETA on when BB based devices will get it
-No mention of the iPhone, but that's because Flash is actually against the terms of Apple's policy regarding 3rd party software for iPhone, so we may never see it
-Flash for the desktop already supports hardware acceleration through DirectX, but the mobile versions will support hardware acceleration via Tegra, Snapdragon, Ion (Tegra big brother for netbooks), and others not yet mentioned.
-No mention of the ZuneHD specifically, but with WinMo support and support for Tegra hardware acceleration, it may ultimately be up to MS if it happens

Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Smile Flash coming to Zune HD?

I read this post at gizmodo.com and I was very interested.

http://gizmodo.com/5374115/flash-101...ayable-hd-vids

It turns out that the new Flash 10.1 is coming out in mid-2010. It will feature multitouch, gestures, and accelerometer support. Flash 10.1 will be coming to android and WinMo devices(no sign of iphone), but will the zune HD be included???

Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Yea, we were discussing this in another thread. Basically, here's the highlights.

-Flash 10.1 on PC/MAC/Linux on October 25, 2009, existing versions already feature GPU acceleration
-Flash 10.1 on Windows Mobile and WebOS (Palm Pre) in beta form before Christmas 2009
-Flash 10.1 beta on Android (Google) and Symbia (Nokia) by "early" 2010
-RIM (Blackberry) has signed on, but no set date as to when they will get it
-iPhone will not get it due to conflicts with Apple
-GPU acceleration confirmed for Tegra, Snapdragon, others to be announced

Anyway, merging threads.

EDIT: Here's why you won't see Flash on the iPhone

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/11/adobe-flash-on/

Some highlights include:

Quote:
"I’m pretty skeptical that Flash could be implemented in a way that doesn’t violate the Terms of Service of the developer’s agreement," said Bart Decrem, CEO of Tapulous, developer of the popular Tap Tap Revenge iPhone game.
Quote:
Allowing Flash — which is a development platform of its own — would just be too dangerous for Apple, a company that enjoys exerting total dominance over its hardware and the software that runs on it. Flash has evolved from being a mere animation player into a multimedia platform capable of running applications of its own. That means Flash would open a new door for application developers to get their software onto the iPhone: Just code them in Flash and put them on a web page. In so doing, Flash would divert business from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Update on Adobe Flash on mobile platforms

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...547#post404547

Just saw this on Ars Technica and was pleasantly surprised about the newest Windows Mobile OS being included-so hopefully, Zune's OS is included as well <cross fingers>.
Also, they noted Apple continues to resist Flash.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM

I really hope that the Zune HD gets flash. That would be a huge advantage over the ipod touch. Opening the world of internet media and games would attract LOTS more people to the device. I say that flash support is a must-have for the zune.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Mr. Ballmer talks WM and Zune.
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=8630
quote from pocketnow
Quote:
This is pretty interesting. In an interview with CNET, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer reveals that Zune software is indeed coming to Windows Mobile when asked about the Windows Phone/Zune HD interplay. If you fast forward to about 8:40 (the embedded player above is a countdown player), you'll hear him say:
What is Zune HD? Zune HD is a couple things. Number one, Zune HD is a music player with a nice music service. By the way, the same software will be available on Windows Phones and Windows PCs. You have that today on the PC, you'll see that in our phone environment as well.
So what could this mean? We're thinking it means that in a future version of Windows Mobile, we'll see a Zune application that will essentially launch the Zune HD environment for media playback, thus replacing the mobile version of Windows Media Player. Those wanting a dedicated media device with no phone can spring for a Zune HD (or equivalent), but those wanting a more all-in-one device can grab a next-generation Windows Phone. This model is similar to that of the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Looks like Pink is dead, too:
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=8644
Quote:
According to him, Project Pink appears to be a hive of chaos and incompetence
In short, according to the tipster, Project Pink “is near death and probably will be cancelled.”

Tags
flash, hd, zune, zune hd