android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Zune HD *may* getting Flash support soon ^_^

Quote:
we can reveal that NVIDIA will be making an official announcement on October 5th.
What's useful is that Flash acceleration is supported on the majority of NVIDIA's GPUs - including Tegra, resulting in the possibility of high-def Flash video on portable handhelds such as Microsoft's Zune HD and various upcoming smartphones.
Whether or not Flash acceleration will be exclusive to NVIDIA remains to be seen, but ION-powered ultra-portables are about to get a whole lot more interesting.
Source: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20471

Last edited by BlindBandit; 09-29-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

don't tease, my heart can't take it.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Cruleworld; 09-29-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: removing vulgar line

Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 PM

I will believe it when I see it. We can't even get the Zune team to give a firm confirmation that they are add WPA enterprise support.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM

well, i'd say flash will be out before wpa enterprise.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

I've already seen flash on an ion based netbook and it was gooood. Who knows when ms will support it , we wont see it out and about in note/netbooks till qtr 1 2010

Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
What's useful is that Flash acceleration is supported on the majority of NVIDIA's GPUs - including Tegra, resulting in the possibility of high-def Flash video on portable handhelds such as Microsoft's Zune HD .
Well Zune team, Nvidia pretty much going to force you to put the GPU flash on the Zune HD even you your team don't want to

Old 09-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Banned

They will never allow flash. They will continue to cripple the SOC.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Nvidia is not going to allow that because they put alot of money into the Zune HD & if Microsoft aka Zune HD team don't want flash then Nvidia is going to sue them that for sure.

Now if Microsoft pay off Nvidia not to put the GPU flash on the Zune HD then ok but if the Zune HD team don't want flash support for the Zune HD & Nvidia does then it's gonna be a big problem.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBandit View Post
Nvidia is not going to allow that because they put alot of money into the Zune HD & if Microsoft aka Zune HD team don't want flash then Nvidia is going to sue them that for sure.

Now if Microsoft pay off Nvidia not to put the GPU flash on the Zune HD then ok but if the Zune HD team don't want flash support for the Zune HD & Nvidia does then it's gonna be a big problem.
i hope this is true. this would be a major selling point for the zune hd if they added flash support. i honestly think if they just added a few key features to the zune, they would easily double their current market base. imagine the zune being as popular as an ipod!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai View Post
I will believe it when I see it. We can't even get the Zune team to give a firm confirmation that they are add WPA enterprise support.
Pai - of course we're not going to give a "firm confirmation" about a future feature request. You seem surprised, yet I would have thought the reasons why we won't comment on what is coming next would have been clear...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:31 PM

oooh man. marked this day on my calendar. I'm ready!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Adobe wants a LOT of money for mobile flash.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
Adobe wants a LOT of money for mobile flash.
I've said this numerous times, but it is falling on deaf ears. It's not MS's fault that Flash is not on the Zune HD for the same reason that it's not Apple's fault that the iPhone doesn't have flash, or RIM for not having Flash on their Blackberry devices. They simply do not want to pony up the obscene amount of cash that Adobe is demanding per device. So far Nokia has been one of the few to buck the trend, but look at the costs of their unlocked phones. HTC and Samsung have done it on a few of their smartphones, but those phones end up being less capable than the iPhone, but cost more even with a subsidized contract.

Right now, every mobile provider is looking for ways to get around Flash. Mobile websites don't use it, and the YouTube apps made for the iPhone as well as other phones don't use Flash, they use 3GP, which is what the entire Youtube Mobile websites is encoded in.

Yes, we know that NV's hardware is powerful enough to accelerate flash content, and I'm sure that HTC and Samsung will once again pony up the cash for Flash Lite on their high end phons using Tegra next year. But there is no way that MS pays that much for a niche product like the Zune HD. The best we will get is 3GP codec support and a YouTube app with it, if we're lucky.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Creative has made a deal to put Flash support on it's Zii Egg. If they actually start selling a retail version of that player, with Android, Flash, and it's app store aboard, I'd fear for MS and the Zune HD a little more.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Creative has made a deal to put Flash support on it's Zii Egg. If they actually start selling a retail version of that player, with Android, Flash, and it's app store aboard, I'd fear for MS and the Zune HD a little more.
I could be wrong, but I think that the version of Flash that will be used on the Zii egg will be a desktop version, rather than a mobile version. The upcoming Nokia N900 uses desktop Flash 9.4, since it's linux based. Remember, the Zii is linux based as well, allowing for the installation of Android.

I think the main thing that MS needs to fear is if Cowon ever releases an S9 sequel with Android and wi-fi built-in. You'd basically have a device with Google and App support, support for most audio and video codecs, and the best audio quality of an PMP. That and the cheaper Sansa players would pretty much control the 30% of the market that Apple doesn't currently have.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Zune has a marketplace and "potentially" nice XBox interplay. That's the one edge that may put them back in second place. You're right though that a hookup with Google/Android would be a leap for anyone else.

I notice jetmall is selling the wifi Mintpad/Mintpad now. Window CE based, it may have access to MS's one-store too. All this is making things very interesting!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Zune has a marketplace and "potentially" nice XBox interplay. That's the one edge that may put them back in second place. You're right though that a hookup with Google/Android would be a leap for anyone else.

I notice jetmall is selling the wifi Mintpad/Mintpad now. Window CE based, it may have access to MS's one-store too. All this is making things very interesting!
I'd like to see MS add support for WinMo based phones to sync up with the Zune Software for media capability. You can already do this with S60 based phones.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I think that is one of the biggest cards MS has up its sleeve... XBL integration. I realize that not everyone cares, but I really do think MS needs to leverage the millions of xbox users they have. I don't think they can afford to wait until "project pink" devices are in market.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I've said this numerous times, but it is falling on deaf ears. It's not MS's fault that Flash is not on the Zune HD for the same reason that it's not Apple's fault that the iPhone doesn't have flash.
The reason why the iTouch/iPhone is not getting flash support is because Apple need to pay Adobe for flash support.

Again we not talking about normal flash support here, we talking about GPU flash which means Nvidia pay off Adobe so they can use there GPU on there flash meaning Zune HD has the Nvidia GPU meaning Adobe can't do nothing about about the Zune HD since Nvidia already pay them for GPU flash support on there hardware ^_^

Tags
flash, hd, zune, zune hd