android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 AM

Default The Official Zune HD encoder software from Microsoft

No more using Ripbot264 anymore & the best thing is freaking free, support 110% of the Zune. Xbox 360, Zune HD & Zune HD dock meaning full 720p & 5.1 ch ^_^

Quote:
H.264 support is not availble in the "free" version of Encoder. H.264 technology is covered by a number of non-MS patents and license fees must be paid -- so H.264 support isn't provided in the free version.
Step 1: what you need to do is download ffdshow & haail media splitter then install ffdshow & haail media splitter.

Step 2: download the software http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en after that install it.

Step 3: you going to see import, click on that & then a window is going to pop up, *make sure that when you see on the right side say all files because this is the only way to import mkv files*.

Step 4: look for system menu it should be on the right side then look for encoding for device & pick WMV then look for VC-1 Zune HD or VC-1 Zune HD (AV Dock Playback) then click on the profile you want & click on apply, when you did it right the video will resize in 480x272 or 1280x720.

Step 5: encode your video & enjoy!

Tip: 1
Zune HD & Zune HD (AV Dock Playback) will encode your videos in 2-pass mode it should take a little bit longer but it will give you the best IQ.

Tip 2: to add subs, go to ffdshow video decoding settings & check the subtitles box then apply, now you should get english subs on the Zune HD program now.

Tip 3: some mkv files will give you a audio error in this software, it only happen when 2-pass is on but like i said it only happen to some mkv files so if you don't get the audio error then you should not change the VBR constrained in both video & audio settings but for those who has the problem. to fix this go to the Zune HD or Zune HD (AV Dock Playback) profile & go to video & change the VBR constrained to VBR Quailty & put the VBR quailty setting on 100 & for audio do the same but in audio the max is 98 after that it will temp save untill you add the next video, then do the same thing for the same video & etc.

Last edited by BlindBandit; 09-26-2009 at 03:49 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Banned

nice , wish it used your gpu though

Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 AM

It does support GPU decoding but you need Core AVC since it use CUDA on the Nvidia GPU but it's not free >_<.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Banned

meh i will just stick with cyberlink supports my radeon 4850 and soon radeon 5870

Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 AM

Cool man, thanks for the link. I'll be sure to give this a try.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
meh i will just stick with cyberlink supports my radeon 4850 and soon radeon 5870
Well this is a free program after all & it will make people life more easy since they have the Zune HD profile, but some people do have the AV Docks for the Zune HD so this pretty much is going to encode there videos in HD & 5.1ch with out no problem & no 4gb limit file size.

i can tell you this, i have not test out Blu Ray rip on this on this software so i can't say if it works or not but it should work since m2ts is H264 & VC-1 but with ffdshow it can encode the audio so this program can encode it.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Nice find! Will try it!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 AM

Definately will give it a try ...Hopefully it "works" as advertised

Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 PM

I tried this before, wouldn't import my .VOBs ripped from my House DVDs. I dumped it after that.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBandit View Post
Well this is a free program after all & it will make people life more easy since they have the Zune HD profile, but some people do have the AV Docks for the Zune HD so this pretty much is going to encode there videos in HD & 5.1ch with out no problem & no 4gb limit file size.

i can tell you this, i have not test out Blu Ray rip on this on this software so i can't say if it works or not but it should work since m2ts is H264 & VC-1 but with ffdshow it can encode the audio so this program can encode it.
oh its good for free, but i have power director already for editing home videos. I wont loose the 20-30% speed increase my gpu gives me when converting other files. It may not sound like alot but if you set up a bunch of things to convert in batch mode 10 hours suddenly becomes 8 hours or even 7 hours of rendering. Makes a diffrence

Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
I tried this before, wouldn't import my .VOBs ripped from my House DVDs. I dumped it after that.
It work for me because i use mkvtoolnix to make it into mkv, now what you need to do is download mkvtoolnix then click on mmg.exe after that add the first vob file then append the rest of the file, you should now get those vob files into one file, which works in this program.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:28 PM

I dunno, I do like my h.264 encoded files though. h.264 is more efficient than VC-1. And that's a fact.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
I dunno, I do like my h.264 encoded files though. h.264 is more efficient than VC-1. And that's a fact.
I know, i like H264 but this encoder is for those who has the Zune HD dock & want 5.1ch & 720p IQ but using Ripbot264 the IQ in 720p using the Zune HD profile from me give you poor IQ at 720p since it's only for 480x272 res because b frames don't work in H264, but for those who don't know how to use Ripbot264 this software is for you.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I know, i like H264 but this encoder is for those who has the Zune HD dock & want 5.1ch & 720p IQ but using Ripbot264 the IQ in 720p using the Zune HD profile from me give you poor IQ at 720p since it's only for 480x272 res because b frames don't work in H264, but for those who don't know how to use Ripbot264 this software is for you.
Or you can use MeGUI. Or just run x264.exe from the commandline.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM

This software is perfect to ripping MKV with subtitle. I have tried it personally, and it is great: the setting are easy to understand, there are plenty of features, and ways to select different types of encoding make it powerful while easy to use. The ability to automatically code a video file into different bitrate under one click is great, now it's easy to make comparison videos for quality. I tried the 1 pass encoding at 1k bitrate and the video looks great on the ZuneHD, unless you are on the big screen I don't think 2 pass will matter all that much.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It work for me because i use mkvtoolnix to make it into mkv, now what you need to do is download mkvtoolnix then click on mmg.exe after that add the first vob file then append the rest of the file, you should now get those vob files into one file, which works in this program.
So that combines the dvd structure into one file? I wanted to encode some tv shows, but the episodes sometimes extend across multiple .vobs

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochnaes View Post
So that combines the dvd structure into one file? I wanted to encode some tv shows, but the episodes sometimes extend across multiple .vobs
Yes it's combining the vob into one file but this is only for dvd movies but for TV shows, do the same but just add a file & make it into mkv & use the Zune HD encoder software.

also this software is the best for those who want 720p + 5.1ch with no file size limit.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM

I've run this to try and combine multiple VOBs into one single Zune HD playable file, but for some reason, it picks a frame about 30 minutes in and gets stuck (ironically not the frame in between files), then about 30 minutes later, it sticks on another frame.

I merged the VOBs in another program and used this to convert it to Zune HD AV Dock - it works fantastically!

One thing I did notice - I got an audio encoding error on the first pass, so I set it to CBR instead of VBR and it worked great!

I'm currently doing an .mkv, I'll let you guys know. This software is really nice. I like the pre-builtin profiles. They should like to this off the Zune homepage!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM

I'll defiantly give this a go...

I've been using Cowon Media Center with very good results for conversion etc.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM

I tried this to convert a ripped Blu-ray disc to Zune HD Dock Preset and I got an error on the audio encoding portion. I am out of town until Thursday night, so probably won't get a chance to try it again...Anyone else seen this issue? Any fix? Ripbot works pretty flawlessly.

Y2J