android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 PM

I've noticed this too. It first became apparent when I was looking at a the picture Cassini took of Saturn from behind (it's a pretty dark picture), and I've noticed that the pattern is the same as when the screen is blank in transition between two functions (i.e. the web browser and the main screen) as well as a few times when the sleep/power button was malfunctioning.

I also noticed that the pattern appeared when I covered up the letters of the screensaver during an audio podcast (which doesn't have an artist background, so what I think iis that it's a property of the OLED screen where the pixels don't display absolute blackness when the screen is powered and that some patches of pixels have a darker powered "black" than others and that furthermore, even the brightest areas of "black" aren't noticeable to the human eye when juxtaposed with the screen's "white", so this only becomes an issue for the darkest images and video, much like how you can't see the stars in the sky when the sun is out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM

I purchase a zune HD from bestbuy and also noticed this problem. It only occurs when im in dark areas. In normal light it is not noticeable. It happens when exiting out of an app or loading an app. but once it gets to a page with some color it isn't noticeable.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Same thing happens on mine. I noticed it when I was watching Sweeny Todd (which has quite a few black areas in it) in the dark. In those black areas I saw (as others have said) "cloudy" spots/squarish things.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Have the same issue on dark movie scenes or on a black wallpaper in the dark.
Just want to know if there is something going to be done about this. Got mine from zune originals, custom with the modern warfare background. Pretty expensive with tax and everything.. Should I send it in?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM

You're just going to be wasting time sending it back. This is likely noticeable for all Zune HD in a pitch black room

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Guys don't you see that it is an illusion that comes from the contrast of seeing some light and then looking at a black background? The screen does not have a problem.

If you don't believe what I said try to focus on different points from the screen and see how the cloudy illusion changes.

This effect also happens if you look at a light and then close your eyes. You keep seeing the light for some time instead of seeing everything dark.

EDIT: The reason why you don't get or it is not as noticeable as in an LCD/TFT screen is because the screen is still emitting light. That light's color is washed black or a type of dark different from the black of a LED screen.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
Guys don't you see that it is an illusion that comes from the contrast of seeing some light and then looking at a black background? The screen does not have a problem.

If you don't believe what I said try to focus on different points from the screen and see how the cloudy illusion changes.

This effect also happens if you look at a light and then close your eyes. You keep seeing the light for some time instead of seeing everything dark.

EDIT: The reason why you don't get or it is not as noticeable as in an LCD/TFT screen is because the screen is still emitting light. That light's color is washed black or a type of dark different from the black of a LED screen.
Noticed it last night no my ZuneHD, and was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Zune Moderator

I see it around the edge of the screen while loading apps, but only in a pitch black room.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:

The pattern is constant. I know the effect you're talking about, but it's certainly not what I'm noticing.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM

I believe you are seeing some kind of cloud or milky pattern. Will give it another check this night, thought, but I believe it is not a screen problem.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I believe you are seeing some kind of cloud or milky pattern. Will give it another check this night, thought, but I believe it is not a screen problem.
I'll clarify what I see, since it's been several months of me looking at this pattern.

The black level of the screen is not uniform. Some parts are extremely dark, virtually complete black. The other parts look similar to what you'd see in a normal LCD - black, but not completely (although in this case, still much darker than most LCDs). This is mostly evident under specific conditions and on certain screens. It's very apparent on a completely black screen, and noticeable on many others, such as the web browser (oriented vertically) when it doesn't have a page displayed.

The pattern of the darker spots remains constant. On my Zune HD, the top and left side appear the worst, however, the pattern itself extends all the way to the middle of the screen. It becomes less concentrated toward the center.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM

I've seen this same type of 'cloudy' effect when I watch a 'dark' show. As others have mentioned, you have to be in a dark room. I like to watch shows while in bed just before falling asleep and it's VERY noticeable and distracting. I bought mine from Best Buy back in november. Not sure what the warranty time period is on these things, but I've considered trying to get it exchanged... just lazy.

It's definitely not an 'illusion' or some kind of 'after image'. It's a constant pattern that hasn't changed over time. It's part of the screen makeup, whether it's result of temerature changes during shipping or a defect in manufacturing.. I couldn't say.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM

I've got the issue. Go into a dark room and view a black photo, I have a black line on the side that matches perfectly with the scrollbar when you watch a video. There's also a bunch of random black spots and grey spots.

If I can get my Zune replaced because of this, I would get it replaced.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Well i had a ZuneHD and it had that "problem".. I exchanged the Zune (not because of the "problem") and my new ZuneHD has The same "problem" but in a different pattern... But I really don't care because its hardly noticable at all... Btw Bestbuy exchange/return is 10 days for opened electronic ...

Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm guessing this is a problem with all the Zune HDs.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Pure black 272x480 image (zune res.) that can be used to test.
Works best in pitch black rooms, wait for nighttime to get good results.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM

I see it too. It has to be the very dead of night to see it at all. My guess is that some of the OLED pixel are receiving a small residual charge and lighting up very slightly when they shouldn't. It really isn't a big deal, because how often are you looking at nearly pitch black images in the dead of night?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM

Well, my impression is that it really doesn't have to be a pitch black image to notice the spots. In fact, in several of my videos I've noticed the "spots" where the brightness doesn't quite fit the rest of the screen. Of course, all of this was observed in a rather dark room, so under normal circumstances it wouldn't be visible. But then again, you can't really watch videos in bright conditions either -_-

In any case, I think the issue is related to a physical condition of the device's screen. Judging from how the "spots" look like, it doesn't seem to be a defect on the hardware (i.e. the spots aren't pixel-to-pixel). It's almost as if there's some sort of dust collecting on the interior of the Zune HD. If that is the case, then it wouldn't be a hard problem to fix. Anyone with enough time and resources could attempt to open up the device and clean the screen (albeit with the risk of damage).

Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Your right I was watching ninja assassin, a very dark movie, and the spots were visible in a well lit room but putting the brightness to high helped...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Sorry to necro a thread, but I've been able to take some pictures [Finally] of this, and I'd like doubters to see it. It looks green but it's more gray, and very puzzling. I can't even tell if it's been getting worse with time.

Tags
exciting