android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Help Possible Screen Problem? Darker spots on some black backgrounds

I've never posted here before, but you guys seem like a knowledgeable bunch, so I'll ask my question.

I love the Zune HD, but I've noticed something on mine that's driving me crazy. In a few very specific conditions, there are portions of the screen that are darker than others. By way of comparison, the pattern is almost like the orangepeel effect you can get on devices when using poorly applied screen protectors, except in my case it's concentrated in the upper left corner and down the left side - the rest of the screen is fine. The conditions that cause this for me include:
  1. A very dark room. Completely black is preferable, but something a little lighter may do. The problem certainly isn't noticeable in normal lighting conditions.
  2. Close proximity to the Zune HD. Two feet away is probably the upper limit.
  3. Some (not all) black backgrounds. Ones that I've noticed are:
    • the screen with the Zune logo when first starting the player
    • a few of the menus under settings. Particularly ones where there are few options and therefore little text, leaving lots of empty space
    • the low battery screen when starting the player with a low battery. This is the screen that shows the battery icon in the middle
    • the web browser. Start the browser then immediately cancel the page load before it loads the default home page that comes with the Zune - you should get a black background
I say some black backgrounds because it isn't present in all of them. These dark spots disappear whenever something bright gets in their general vicinity (it doesn't even have to be that close to the spots.) In general use, the player looks fine except for maybe a few seconds when the screensaver is mostly black when it starts up.

Does anyone have this problem? I love the Zune so much I'd hate to have to send it back already.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM

I have exact same problem

Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 PM

I have two Zune HD/32gb players, and neither of mine have this issue.

Maybe you should do a thorough cleaning of your display, as there might possibly be some kind of oily reside in the area of the 'distortion' ?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post
I have two Zune HD/32gb players, and neither of mine have this issue.

Maybe you should do a thorough cleaning of your display, as there might possibly be some kind of oily reside in the area of the 'distortion' ?
Thanks for the reply.

Your comment is the same as my initial thinking, that perhaps there was some residue left from the packaging or even something on my hands that was getting on the screen. However, I've cleaned the screen thoroughly and given it a mirror-like sheen with a microfiber cloth and the problem remains.

Just to reiterate, it took a while to notice the problem for the first time. The room has to be very dark and it may take a while to acclimate to the darkness before the effect is noticeable.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

I would call my doctor. Seriously, if you have to explain like that your issue do the following things...
- Exchange the device or..
- call your doctor.

Regards.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 PM

I see it also, possibly not just us, do you see it when watching videos, I haven't tried that yet. Going to try in a few minutes.

Cory

Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 PM

I have noticed the EXACT same thing, Top left corner, and down the left side to a lesser degree, is darker than the rest of the screen. It only bothers me when the screen is completely black. As such it is rarely noticeable, and the room has to be quite dark to see it as well.

I'm not too worried about it, especially if you guys have the same issue. How often am I going to be looking at an all black screen anyway?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppizzippo View Post
I see it also, possibly not just us, do you see it when watching videos, I haven't tried that yet. Going to try in a few minutes.

Cory
I haven't done much movie watching yet. I'm interested to see if you notice it during movies.

I do feel a little better knowing others have the same problem.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM

all the movies/videos I've tried don't seen to have the issue because there are very few black screens for me to notice. I'm going to make a test clip like you use for setting up contrast on a monitor/tv. Will post my findings.

Cory

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

I noticed the same thing with my Zune HD. In a dark room, a completely black screen looks cloudy and has noticably darker areas. Is this part of an OLED screen, or a manufacturing defect?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwayglad View Post
I noticed the same thing with my Zune HD. In a dark room, a completely black screen looks cloudy and has noticably darker areas. Is this part of an OLED screen, or a manufacturing defect?
Neither. It's subliminal advertising.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM

I just tried it with mine and noticed... and when its white the flicker is pretty annoying... but is it worth me RMAing it?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:

I'm almost 90% sure this is a result of improper shipping practice, so don't bother returning it - you'll have the same issue on any HD from Best Buy, or Walmart. If you find the 'spots' unbearable, however, I'd suggest ordering a new Zune from Zune Originals - it seems the devices from Microsoft's store are in best condition.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM

I have this "problem" as well. I dont really know how Zune HD's are made but I figured it may be possible for their to be air between the OLED and digitizer.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Yup - I have this issue too, the screen appears 'milky' when a black screen is displayed and the ambient lights are completely off. Its a big PITA for me since this is my second one too =[

Old 11-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Buddy

What are you guys using to show a "black" screen? Probably the best way to do this is to create a BMP of pure black #000000. Anything else (like black scenes in a movie) will show compression artifacts as "cloudiness" - my LED TV does the same thing.

I'll try this test this weekend too!

Cheers, Dave.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM

That seems strange, since, with OLED, completely black areas should be just that - completely black. The pixels are turned off, so I don't see how certain areas would be darker than others.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:25 AM

Dave - the 'cloudiness' has the same pattern on every black screen. I test it on the menu on pages that don't have alot of text - then cover the text with something opaque and the rest of the black space has 'cloudiness'.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 AM

I first noticed this problem while watching video in a dark area of the room.

Now, I can't help but to stop the video when I see a black screen to check whether the problem persists. Needless to say, it still persists.

I also notice it going through the UI. I have no friends on the Zune, so it is a nice way to check the blacks on the screen.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Is this problem something they would consider for an exchange? It's really annoying as I like to watch videos in the dark. The only problem is, I got my Zune through Zune Originals.

Tags
exciting