android
Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Page Cnet review is out

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...rColumnArea1.1

Cnet rated the Zune a 8.7/10, which isn't too bad. However, I'm still waiting on an ABI review to help me decide whether it's worth the upgrade or not.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Same. I wouldn't trust Cnet over ABI

Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

I refuse to read anything by Donald Bell anymore.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Well, he called it a "premium media play back device"

That's good right?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

yeah, premium is good, normally, unless he just means expensive, which it really isn't. Not sure why he was whining about Microsoft Points for buying marketplace items since there's nothing for sale yet. I mean games or apps...i have apps and games on the brain

Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The review is spotty, but a few points were close. Donald really views the world w/apple colored glasses on, so would you expect otherwise. Besides, I think he scored it too high this time around. Until a few issues are taken care of, it's definitely around a 7 out of 10.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM

Funny how they mention the improved processor for the ipod touch 3g but don't even care to hint about the tegra. Definitely bias.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I wonder how the audio quality compares between the two. I'm coming from the Samsung P2, so I'd hope the ZHD SQ is just as good.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
Yeah, I wonder how the audio quality compares between the two. I'm coming from the Samsung P2, so I'd hope the ZHD SQ is just as good.
from what i have seen the p2 with current firmware has better SQ if you use DNSe, the zunehd's preset eq's not that impressive(i didnt like it when i was working on a buddys laptop+stack of zunes the other night...never managed to get them all working with the same zune software install either...)

if you dont, I would guess its pretty close.......but moving from a p2 you will loose folder type access to the device, remmber zunes only work with the zune software suite, they can not be loaded or manipulated the way the samsung,sansa,cowan,archos,sony and even coby players can(and most other non-ms/apple players).

be very sure you know what you are getting into before you buy a zune or ipod type device.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
I had a p2 previously, the sound quality is better on the p2 if you use the Custom EQ on it, but if you turned it off or used presets, I'd say they're comparable.

Just remember the p2 could play .ogg, file browse, voice record, record from radio and had a calculator that didn't take 15 seconds to load. Otherwise the players are very similar.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112wicked112 View Post
Funny how they mention the improved processor for the ipod touch 3g but don't even care to hint about the tegra. Definitely bias.
From the review: "Thanks to all the efficiencies afforded by the latest Nvidia Tegra processor and the power-thrifty OLED display, the Zune HD's battery life is rated longer than the iPod Touch battery life, boasting 33 hours of audio playback and 8.5 hours of video (both with Wi-Fi turned off)."

Old 09-20-2009, 02:34 PM

It is a bit unfair to comare the ZuneHD's app catalog to Apple's current, seeing as the latter has had much more time to mature and fill out.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Are the 'trashy' headphones supplied with the HD the very same "pretty good" ones that were gratefully supplied with the original Zune30?

What a difference 3 years make if so.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Buddy

Also, there are almost no differences between our catalogs for the 98th+ percentile of purchased content (I'm just guessing - but you know what I mean). The difference is in the long-tail of content - indie stuff, etc... that we're ingesting as fast as we can, but they definitely have a head start.

Cheers, Dave.

Tags
cnet, rate, review, zune