android
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Default D2+ with Fiio E5 - What is the "magic setting"?

I have had my D2+/E5 for almost 2 months now and so far loving it. Just one little thing that concerns me is the volume settings. I have searched through the forum a lot to find out how my volume should be set up to get the best output. Some people suggest to set the source volume to the highest possible to get the best output from a source/amp combo. But this is not necessarily true for the D2+ as I hear A LOT of crackling when I do that, even with a very low volume on E5. On the other hand, if I put D2+ to a low volume setting and put E5 on high, I hear a bit of hiss when nothing is playing from the E5. Some people have also suggested that "34" is the magic volume for D2+. However, I feel that is not loud enough for me as I hear hissing from E5 in if I put it to something too high. Some people have also suggested not to use too much of BBE/Mach3Bass as that distorts the sound.So my question is, am I missing something? I am using head-direct RE0 IEMs btw.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2009, 10:59 PM

I'm using RE2 and not noticing a huge difference in bass SQ with the E5's Bass boost vs the D2's Mach3Bass.

However, I've been leaving the E5 about 5 clicks from it's top setting, setting the D2 to a comfortable level, then using the E5 as my main volume control. I'm not hearing any hissing, if anything the E5 gets rid of any hissing, from my D2 or any other source (built in desktop Pc sound card)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Play around with it to find something that you like. D2 is a very versatile player, and what's "perfect" for someone else may not be perfect for you.

Also, 34 is not loud enough for you? I usually listen to my D2 at volume 10-15 and it would be plenty loud...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM

he's using it with an amplifier. Amplifiers can either lessen a signal to make it quieter or amplify it to make it louder. I agree with curious on one point. fiddle with it until you find a baance between the hiss and the crackle

Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks. I guess I will be using the 39 settings, not that it is that much of a hiss, and I mostly listen to rock/metal so it doesn't matter that much, just nitpicking. I love the bass boost of E5 though, and it is very convenient to carry along with you because of the clip, no chance of the D2+ getting hurt. Only if it could hold a bit more charge.

Quote:
Also, 34 is not loud enough for you? I usually listen to my D2 at volume 10-15 and it would be plenty loud...
I guess I am a bit deaf..

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM

I was wondering if the FiiO E5 can improve the already good sound quality of the D2 and not only make the volume higher.

Can anyone confirm?
And if the E5 improves the quality of the D2, can I use a low impedance IEM (16ohm) with this setup or is it too much "power" the IEM can't handle?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 AM

The impact of fiio E5 is very little. initially i wondered is it just a battery?

lower impedance can be used with d2 straight. if one wants to see the amp effect in bringing the dynamics of music i donot think fiio E5 is the one. just a bit better than the output of d2.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

All the e5 does is amplifies the signal, allowing you to reach higher volumes on headphones that are normally quiet (I know Audio Technica ATH-M30s are) it does NOT affect the SQ of the source (except some hiss removal) if you're hearing a lot of hissing on your 'phones it's worth a try, but the D2 itself isn't all that hissy. The e5 also has a bass boost, but with the D2 it's pretty much useless because of the D2's Mach3Bass and EQ

Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Flamin Spirit. I can already hear some hiss on my 16ohm IEM's (Denon AH-C551), and I'm quite sure that with the FiiO E5 the hiss will get even worse and not better.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire666 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Flamin Spirit. I can already hear some hiss on my 16ohm IEM's (Denon AH-C551), and I'm quite sure that with the FiiO E5 the hiss will get even worse and not better.
Raise your source volume and control your volume with the E5 volume to minimize hiss.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

wow.. luckyli i own D2 , S9 , RE0 , fiio e5 too. , Personally i found the best settings by this procedure : plug re 0 to fiio 5 , do not plug in fiio 5 to d2 yet and increase the volume on amp to level that has no hiss or very little ( acceptable thanks to 64 ohm impedance ) Once u set it up , then connect to d2 and change volume to ur need. dont touch fiio5 volume anymore. good luck.
P.S. re0 can sound even better if u remove filters and yellow foams inside module canals. dont worry its no rocket science work. u will experience little nirvana. Soundstage + detail in mids/highs improved enormously. me personally i dont use fiio 5 with re0 . no needed. re0 sound just awesome straight from D2/S9 and honestly fiio 5 is low end amp.