Zune HD Power User Guide
If you encounter unexpected behavior while using the Zune HD, restarting the player is a good first step in resolving the issue.
- To Restart - Press and hold the on/off button for 10 seconds
- To Power off - Press and hold the on/off button for 3 seconds and then pull down on the screen
- To Restart - Press both the home button and the media button (all content is deleted)
- To enter Recovery mode - Press and hold the on/off and media buttons for 15 seconds. The player restarts into Recovery mode and must be reconnected to the Zune Software to reinstall the player firmware( content is not erased).
Go to artist
Delete from player - If you press and hold an item, you can select "DELETE" to remove it from the player. Not all content types can be deleted directly from the player.
In the now playing screen you can tap an artist's name to go directly to that artist?s page.
- We have added to ability to pin your favorite stuff to the main menu for easy access. You can press and hold an item and select "PIN TO QUICKPLAY". The "Pins" menu can hold 10 items. We also store the last 6 accessed items in the "History" menu and the last 10 sunk or downloaded items in the "new" menu.
- To switch between the main menu and the Quickplay menu, press the home button, swipe the screen left/right or touch either menu.
Breadcrumb navigation to go back
Shuffle all music
- To back up one level, tap the breadcrumb text or picture at the top of the screen.
- We have added the ability to shuffle all the music on your Zune HD by pressing the play icon next to the word Music on the home screen. This will shuffle all the music on your player. Comedy /Spoken Word genre will be excluded.
- You can press the on/off button on the top of the player to turn on the screen lock.
Turning on screen lock
We have added the ability to shuffle all the music on your Zune HD by pressing the play icon next to the word Music on the home screen. This will shuffle all the music on your player. Comedy /Spoken Word genre will be excluded.
Switching Songs / Other
You can move to the next/previous song a few ways.
You can press the on/off button on the top of the player to turn on the screen lock.
Repeat one song
- Press the media button on the left side of the player, then tap the left/right arrows.
- In now playing, use your finger to slide to the next/previous song
- In now playing, if you press the song list at the bottom you can choose any song in your queue.
New playlist behavior
We have added the ability to continually repeat one song in the now playing queue. If you touch the middle repeat icon in the now playing scene until it displays "1", the currently playing song will continue to repeat.
We have added the ability to save a playlist on the player. To do this, add the songs you want in the playlist to the "NOW PLAYING" list. Then go in the "NOW PLAYING" list under the playlist tab and select the disk icon. That will bring up the keyboard and allow you to name and save a playlist. You can then reverse sync the playlist to the Zune software on your computer.
You can view pictures in both landscape and portrait mode. You can pinch the picture to zoom in and then double tap to zoom out to the normal size. Single tap will bring up the play icon so you can start a slideshow. You can also select "APPLY AS BACKGROUND" on a picture to make it the image that displays when the screen is locked.
- Keyboard can be used either by pressing and releasing a letter or number or by pressing and sliding your finger to the item you want to select, and then releasing.
- You can delete all entries in a list by pressing and holding on the X in the address or search bar for a few seconds.
Zune Marketplace Discography
This refers to the data that the Zune HD displays about a specific artist. Not all artists have an artist view.
This cached data shows all albums the artist has released. Connect to Zune Marketplace either through Wi-Fi or through the PC (with the Zune software closed) to access these albums and either stream, download, or purchase them.
Marketplace Top Songs
This cached data shows the top three purchased songs for an artist. Connect to Zune Marketplace either thru Wi-Fi or thru the PC (with the Zune software closed) to access these songs and either stream, download, or purchase them.
This cached data displays pictures of the artist. See the section on pictures for how to view them.
This cached data shows some artists related to the artist you have selected. Connect to Marketplace either thru wireless or thru the PC (with the Zune software closed) to access these related artist and either browse, stream, download, or purchase their music.
New wireless sync behavior
Audio book sync - These sync the same as older player and require software from Audible.com or OverDrive
There are a few different phases of the sync process now.
- "Syncing" - Seeing this in the UI means content is actively syncing to the player.
- "Sync Complete" - Seeing this in the UI means artist data is syncing to the player and it's OK to disconnect. No content will be lost and artist data will continue to sync on resuming connection via the PC or wireless.
- "Connected" - Seeing this in the UI means content has sunk to the player and no artist data jobs are currently running. This does not mean all your artist data has downloaded.
We have slightly modified the wireless sync behavior for Zune HD. Instead of remaining connected once you establish the wireless connection, you will now automatically exit the connection once the player determines there is no content to sync. In the auto sync wireless scenario, the player will continue to attempt to reconnect every 10 minutes if wireless sync has been set-up, the player has AC power, no media is playing, and there is no user activity on the player.
Marketplace playlists and Smart DJ playlists
You can sync apps to the player from the Zune client. This will only work on Zune HD and is not supported on previous players.
- Another cool new feature we have enabled is syncing of Smart DJ playlists and Marketplace playlists. If you sync these types of playlists to the player they show up under the playlist twist on the player but do not pollute your player or PC client collection. If you happen to like a song from this playlist, you can press and hold on the song and choose "add to collection". The song will now show in your player collection. To truly enjoy these features, a Zune Pass subscription is recommended for the Smart DJ playlists and is required for the Marketplace playlists.
- This feature also works on previous Zune players.
Channels and Zune Card
Free McDonald's restaurant connection
We continue to support channel and Zune Card sync to the player. To do this, you must link your player to your Zune Tag in the Settings area of the Zune software on your computer. For channels, a Zune Pass is required.
Internet portal connectivity
We are still supporting the free McDonald's wireless service at some locations. To see if the location you are at is set up for the connection, go to Settings, Wireless, Networks and see if the scan picks up "Zune Hotspot".
The player now has the ability to connect to an Internet connection that requires a browser portal. Just launch the browser on the player and use the keyboard to enter the correct login information.
Supported networks types player can connect to
This is for both general wireless connectivity and wireless sync:
- WEP 64
- WEP 128
- WPA -AES
- WPA -TKIP
PC Internet connection
The player can use the Internet connection on the PC to connect. Just plug the player into the PC and make sure the Zune software is closed. You can then browse the Internet or browse Marketplace on the player.
Navigating with the browser
- Pinch to zoom in and out.
- Rotate the player for landscape/portrait views.
- Double-tap on a column, image, or form element to fully zoom in on that object.
- Touch the URL to bring up the address bar and keyboard.
- Tap and hold on .com to bring up other TLDs.
Ad before game launches
- Getting apps on the player
- Apps can be downloaded to the player directly over Wi-Fi (in this scenario, the player must be linked to a Zune account) or you can sync the app to the player from the Zune software.
- Zune HD displays a short picture or video ad while a game is loading. These ads are dynamic and can be updated automatically when connecting to PC or a Wi-Fi access point.
- Ads are not shown when launching an application.
- To find out more about Creator games, visit the XNA Creators Club web site at http://creators.xna.com.
- Creator games deployed to the player thru XNA Game Studio Player Center will NOT show in the Zune PC software.
- Creator games deployed to the player thru XNA Game Studio Player Center will NOT allow listening to DRM music while playing the game.
- Creator games deployed to the player thru XNA Studio Player Center will restart the player when you exit the game.
Send and social
- Tune the radio by sliding the tuner bar with your finger.
- HD Radio is only available from some FM radio stations.
- When tuned to an HD Radio station, the "HD" Symbol will tell you the HD signal strength: the brighter the color, the better the signal!
- When you see the name of a song that is playing on the radio displayed on the Zune HD, you can mark the song for automatic purchase or Zune Pass download at Zune Marketplace. You will know you can do this when see a shopping cart appear in the lower right-hand corner.
- You can manage your presets a little more easily in the preset scene. You can press and hold on any station, and either remove it, or pin it to Quickplay.
- You can also add/remove presets from the main radio menu by using the + icon as a toggle.
- Headphones serve as the radio antenna, so reception is much better with them plugged into the player. The Zune HD AV Dock comes with an antenna.
- Some FM stations offer more than one HD Radio channel. If your tuned FM channel shows HD1, HD2, etc., you can touch the next channel to hear different content.
Zune HD uses a new form of send. Instead of sending player-to-player, we now send thru the cloud. To use this feature, your player must be linked to a Zune account. Do this in the Settings menu of the Zune PC software. You can send albums, songs and playlists to a Zune Tag, and you can send albums and songs to an email address.
Press the envelope icon in the album details, song details, or playlist details page. This will bring up the send page. You can select one of your cached friends or enter a Zune Tag using the keyboard. You can also include a message using the keyboard.
- If someone sends a playlist, song, or album to your Zune Tag, it will show up when you sign in to the Zune software on your computer; you'll see it in your Inbox (under Social).
- You can then stream those songs directly from the message. If you like them, you can download them directly (if you have a Zune Pass and the songs are available) or add them to your cart for purchase.
Audio and Video Playback
Audio native codec support
Video native codec support:
- Windows Media - Audio Standard (WMA) (.wma): Up to 384 Kbps; constant bit rate (CBR) and variable bit rate (VBR) up to 48-kHz sample rate. WMA Pro 2-channel up to 768 Kbps; CBR and VBR up to 48-kHz.
- WMA Lossless: 2 channel up to 768 kbps and 48 kHz.
- Advanced Audio Coding (AAC-LC) (.mp4, .m4a, .m4b ) - .m4a and .m4b files without FairPlay DRM up to 320 Kbps; CBR and VBR up to 48-kHz.
- MP3 (.mp3) ? Up to 320 Kbps; CBR and VBR up to 48-kHz.
- Windows Media Video (WMV) (.wmv) - Main and Simple Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 10.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Advanced Profile up to L2, 1280x720 up to 30 frames per second, CBR or VBR, up to 14.0 Mbps peak video bitrate. Zune software will transcode HD WMV files above stated capabilities at player sync.
- MPEG-4 (MP4/M4V) (.mp4) Part 2 video - Simple Profile up to 4.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD MPEG-4 files at player sync.
- H.264 video  - Baseline Profile + bframes, up to 10 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). 1280x720 up to 30 frames per second, up to Level 3.1 and 14.0 Mbps peak video bitrate. Zune software will transcode HD WMV files above stated capabilities at player sync.
- While in a video, tap the screen to bring up the video HUD.
- Touch the time line at the bottom of the video HUD and move it to the position you would like.
- On video that is letterboxed, you can remove the letterbox by bringing up the video HUD and pressing the circular icon on the right side of the HUD. This will zoom in the video and remove the letterbox.
With a Zune Pass you can stream most of the music on Zune Marketplace directly from the player. To use this feature, your player must be linked to a Zune account. Do this in the Settings area of the Zune software on your computer.
- Zune Pass users can stream full-length songs directly from Zune Marketplace.
- Non-Zune Pass users can stream 30-sec clips directly from Zune Marketplace.
- You can verify your player is linked to your Zune account by looking in Settings, Wireless, Information. You should see "Zune Marketplace is enabled for (your Zune Tag)". If you do not see this, connect your player to your PC and in the Zune software navigate to Settings, Player, Linking. Link your Zune at this location.
- If you have a Zune Pass, the default button action is download unless content is available for purchase only.
- Purchased songs download in the MP3 format whenever available.
- Download runs in the background while the player is connected to the Zune software.
- Items are removed from the cart after successfully downloading (upon re-entering cart).
- You can play music and perform other actions on the player while content is downloading from Zune Marketplace.
TV out with Zune HD can only be used with the Zune HD AV Dock.
- The Zune HD AV Dock works with all Zune players except the original Zune 30. Its HDMI output is compatible only with Zune HD.
- HDMI and S/PDIF are supported only on the Zune HD.
DILLA BANGED MY WIFE
Last edited by Cruleworld; 10-10-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Reason: Formatting for easier reading