android
Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 AM

Default P3 booting problem

Hey,
I've used my P3 for over 6 months now and a strange thing happened today. I loaded up 3 movies, well within my P3's file capacity and after the initial melody and P3 Logo sequence, a black screen with the text

"No space for DB"
"Please delete"
"more than 60 mb"

So fair enough, I connect my P3 to the PC and delete the 3 movies and after trying to boot again, its still stuck on the no space for DB screen.
I've tried the soft button reset but nothing has changed.
I'm not too keen on wiping my whole P3 either.
Any ideas ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Banned

If reset doesn't work, then you may have no option other than formatting it. You could try draining the battery, and see if that helps.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm just curious about formatting.
Do i just format the disc and if i put in the firmware file, will it just reinstall the OS ? or would that brick my p3 ?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

No, use the Settings>format option on the player, that won't brick it, but it will wipe the memory. You might also try re-installing a firmware, or downgrading one - that sometimes helps.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Same song second verse

I've been having the same problem.
I had formatted my p3 to get rid of some memory display problems (it kept saying I only had 10MB left, when it was more like 7GB)
Formatting fixed this problem, however, after I re-added all my music to it, it started giving me the "No space for DB, please delete more than 60MB" Reset button doesn't make any difference.
There's no way to get to any of the options/commands on the player, anything I need to do with it would have to be through my comp.
Also, I'm not sure how I'd drain the battery, since it will only start up, show the error message for about 15 seconds and then turn off.
Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Return it - there's nothing else you can do. It does seem that there are a few P3 owners with this or similar problems. Probably not very many, but they do post here.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 AM

I have the same problem from time to time. The only thing I have found to fix this issue is to format the p3 on the computer. I think this happens when you take the p3 off the computer without first ejecting it properly. Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM

I just recovered from the same problem. I could still hook up to my computer (Mac) and see all the files on the unit, so I copied everything over from the P-3 as a backup. First I downloaded the 2.2 firmware and let it update. The firmware update worked perfectly, but it didn't solve the boot-up problem.
Next, I formatted using disk utility (MS-DOS was the default format), copied the .bin file over (2.2 firmware) and let it update. After that it worked again, minus all the music, pictures, games, videos etc., that were bundled or added by me. I just copied anything missing back over and now it's just like it never happened.
I noticed the SYSTEM folder had a "history.log" file that is not present on my freshly loaded P-3. I wonder if deleting that would have cured it. If it happens again I'll try it. Also, I was surprised to find the startup background and the skin photo were still present after re-formatting.
Hope this helps....good luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.

Tags
boot, p3, problem