android
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Default I hate my new s9 here is why

Man, I got this for the better audio output quality, which is likey there.

BUT everything sux about this player. The interface even with claw UCI sux. The headphone jack on the bottem is stupid an makes holding the s9 clumsy. I can believe it does not auto shut off when put in pause (evident to me by the battery then draining to zero)!!

and the screen is not as resposive as i expected.

makes me soo mad. which i knew i would not like it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like you failed to do your homework. Send it back for a refund please. You kept your receipt, didn't you?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Redneck Moderator

Mine just shut off while being paused. The screen takes a little bit of getting used to but once you learn how to stroke it, it works great imo. And as far as UI goes, thats 100% opinion but I think its pretty damn good.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:52 PM

yeah i will likely return it. hate the headphones coming from the bottem. what was the rationale for that?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
yeah i will likely return it. hate the headphones coming from the bottem. what was the rationale for that?
So you could have the controls on top. I use a 90 degree plug adapter on mine to re-direct the cable, or simply use bluetooth headphones when the S9 is in my pocket. In a shirt pocket you can slide the S9 in upside down, and work the controls (now on the bottom) through the shirt material.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Lots of players have the headphone jack at the bottom, including most recent-gen Samsungs, iPods, etc. Seems more logical to me than putting it on top or the sides, since the cable doesn't get in the way when you hold the player, and you get it out of your pocket the right way, without having to flip it in your hands. Of course it's a matter of preference, though.

I would be happier if the S9 had the tactile controls left and right instead of on top, but it still works well enough for me with the player stuffed into my jacket or pants pockets.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 PM

do you always have to flick to off and wait for it to turn off when finishing ur session to perserve the battery. is there not an auto off feature. i dont know why my battery dies soo fast.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Settings > Time > Timer

Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
do you always have to flick to off and wait for it to turn off when finishing ur session to perserve the battery. is there not an auto off feature. i dont know why my battery dies soo fast.
Mine shuts off after the album or playlist is completed.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM

This is another one of these typical cases where the S9 is suffering from its level of customisation. There are options for everything in the player:
- it does turm off automatically once you've paused play, if YOU want it to.
- if you battery drains excessively, then you have a faulty unit. Mine lasts forever and I use it quite a bit.
- The UI / Touchscreen is actually quite good once you're use to it. Like anything in life, there is a learning curve (and my iphone capacitive screen is not without its hiccups as well, but it seems no one mentions those ever).
- The headphone jack location, as mentioned is actually quite good, as it allows you to manipulate the unit without the cabling being in the wa

Don't get me wrong, there are some usability issues, but Claw UI does make for most of these and the rewards associated with the S9 (customization, SQ, screen, drag and drop... Did I mention SQ?) are worth the minor usability issues...

Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 PM

-" it does turm off automatically once you've paused play, if YOU want it to."

how?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
-" it does turm off automatically once you've paused play, if YOU want it to."

how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Settings > Time > Timer
dfkt answered your question already.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM

or simply, if you want to press pause and have it turn completely off...just turn off sleep mode in your settings

Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 AM

The S9 suffers from its difficulty in customization. Options to change the way it behaves are hard to use if they're not well documented or not easy to find. They're even harder to use if they require you to load a third party UI just to get the options.

There are probably a dozen things about the S9 that I don't like and can't be changed. The idea that everything in the S9 UI can be changed is simply wrong. There are situations where I will never use the S9. The lack of dynamic playlists make it worthless for DJing or for road trips with people for example. No UI can fix this.

The main reason I use it is because it has never given me any trouble. I've never had to reset it like I do with my Creative Zen at least once a week.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Judging by all the advice you've gotten in this one thread, I suggest looking around the forum for tips and tricks on solving your problems instead of complaining about it.

If in the end you still don't like it, buy a Sony X1000. It has an ultra smooth interface/touchscreen, it auto shuts off, and the headphone jack is on the top.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Looks like you failed to do your homework. Send it back for a refund please. You kept your receipt, didn't you?
I agree. You should have done more research on forums like ABI and Iaudiophile.

Duke Lukem.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM

It was pretty easy to figure out how to do all of these things listed just explore the menus. Its the first thing I do whenever I get a new anything.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporality View Post
It was pretty easy to figure out how to do all of these things listed just explore the menus. Its the first thing I do whenever I get a new anything.
Agreed. My 8-year-old students had an easy time figuring out the old X5 interface back in the day, and the S9 uses the same configuration logic. If you can't figure out how to use it, you haven't spent enough time trying.

As for the auto-off:
If you buy an electronic device geared toward customization, the first thing you should do after turning it on is go through all of the menus and sub-menus. Explore it all systematically, and get to know your player. If you do anything short of that, and still expect to to perform perfectly, you're just not very intelligent.

Not that Cowon players aren't a bit confusing from the get-go. It took me some time to get used to the X5's interface. But by 'some time' I mean about a day. And once I picked up the S9, it took me about 15 seconds. Even if it hadn't...most of it's in the manual. Check it out.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Very good post, Cardshark.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cardshark, that was totally on point!!!!

Closed Thread