android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Batteries, charging batteries, and replaceable batteries

These posts were left over from another thread so we started a new thread to house them - no9, moderator "15 hours is not much to begin with? Do you work out for 15 hours at a time? '

More like 12 hours in typical usage. I want a player to have a charge that would last me a few weeks of typical use. I hate connecting a player to charge, so doing this as infrequently as possible would be good. The Cowon i7 has around 4 times the battery life of the Clip.

Last edited by no9; 09-08-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"15 hours is not much to begin with? Do you work out for 15 hours at a time? '

More like 12 hours in typical usage. I want a player to have a charge that would last me a few weeks of typical use. I hate connecting a player to charge, so doing this as infrequently as possible would be good. The Cowon i7 has around 4 times the battery life of the Clip.
But is that a fair comparison, given the completely disparate sizes of the 2 players?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I hate connecting a player to charge, so doing this as infrequently as possible would be good.
That is why I have always advocated wall chargers...they usually work faster than the computer's USB slot, and with the Sansas, the screen goes to sleep , as opposed to staying lit when connnecting to the computer. I just bought a USB wall charger as well, for use with my Q2.....excellent use of $4.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate connecting a player to a pc or a wall charger. I like the idea of removable rechargeable batteries, especially if I can charge a few at a time in 15 minutes in a wall charger.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I hate connecting a player to a pc or a wall charger. I like the idea of removable rechargeable batteries, especially if I can charge a few at a time in 15 minutes in a wall charger.
Unfortunately, just not the direction (or possible?) with these small form factor players--no readily-available rechargeable button batteries out there (maybe there should be!).

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Default WildCharge

Quote:
Try WildCharge and let us all know...

The WildCharge Pad.

If it works I will buy one for the Clip+ I just ordered...

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Of all the annoying little chores we have to perform on a regular basis, I would think plugging a device into a wall charger ranks pretty low. No matter how many times we wash dishes, they always get dirty again, as do hands and teeth. And what about making beds, isn't that a pain.
Can someone explain to me why replacing a battery which then has to be placed in a device for recharge is simpler than simply recharging the device.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not simpler. But convenient if away from home, having a replacement battery handy. Plus, if/when the original battery dies (although by that time, likely that the next generation of player will be out).

Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 AM

I agree with JK98, recharging is a pain in the neck. There's the issue of the AC adapters or USB cables or other crap to carry when you travel, and the issue that with most of these players you generally can't listen to them while they're charging (it's much better if you can just swap in a fresh battery and keep listening). There's also the possibility of forgetting to take the player off the charger, so you don't have it when you want it. That happens with my cell phone all the time-- I reach into my pocket for it and then realize that I left it at home on the charger.

I cringe at the concept that I should expect to upgrade the player by the time the battery stops working. Should I also buy a new car when it's time to replace the oil filter on the old one? Really, these players don't change all that fast. The only reason I moved up from my Sansa M260 was that its memory capacity was too low and it didn't have any expansion capability. If it had an SDHC expansion slot and if its firmware didn't suck then I never would have gotten interested in other players. And there was non-suck free firmware (Rockbox) available BEFORE the M260 came out. If Sandisk put the current Clip Plus electronics into their old E140 package (basically a Fuze sized player but with a full sized SD slot and powered by a removable AAA cell) and there was a Rockbox port, I'd buy it in a hot minute and never want a new player after that. If I have to deal with a non-swappable rechargeable player, having the longest possible runtime per charge is a big plus.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Paul. If you want longer battery life there is the Fuze rather than the Clip+. On Amazon the 4 GB Fuze and Clip+ are very close in price. The Clip+ give around 12 hour battery life with typical use, while the Fuze gives around 20 hours. The best thing about a player that uses a AA or AAA battery though is that most chargers will charge up to 4 batteries at a time(some even charge 8!) and some take as little as 15 minutes(although one hour charging is much gentler on the batteries, and 15 minute charging is only advised for those batteries designed to take it). I like the idea of never connecting a player to a pc, and having the player use a AA or AAA battery, and have a card slot(or perhaps two of them?) to provide content to the player. Of course I also want the player to have a display and decent navigation via folders. Sandisks latest AAA battery based players lack a display.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM

I came up with a solution jk98, learn how to make your own player. That way you could use whatever you wanted for a battery. If they don't make exactly what you want then you either have to DIY or find a way to work around it. There are plenty of devices out that you can piggyback to a player to add battery life. With all the time it has taken you to post about replacable batteries over those 1,000 posts you'd think you would have tried at least 1 by now

Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
There's the issue of the AC adapters or USB cables or other crap to carry when you travel
any traveling I've done usually involves an airline seat and a hotel room...again not the hardest places in the world to recharge your player?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You're all friggin' nuts if you think rechargeable batteries are better. They end up here, sooner than you think:

The rechargeable battery argument is dead - move on you friggin' Eco-Terrorists!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Of all the annoying little chores we have to perform on a regular basis, I would think plugging a device into a wall charger ranks pretty low. "

Not true at all, since it means remembering to plug it in to charge and leaving enough time for it to charge, then remembering to unplug it and put it in a coat pocket or pouch. It is to easy to forget to charge it when it needs charging, or to forget to unlug it from the wall. With a AAA battery based player, one could leave it in a jacket pocket with a few spare batteries, then occasionally add a few alkaline batteries, or take out a few discharged batteries and replace them with charged ones(done at the same time so I don't forget to replace the batteries in the coat pocket).

"Can someone explain to me why replacing a battery which then has to be placed in a device for recharge is simpler than simply recharging the device. "

There is a very simple answer to that, which is the ability to have spare batteries, and take spares with me so I never run out of power. With a built in nattery, not only do I miss the use of the player until I get home to charge it again, but if I forget to charge it before I leave, then I am without the use use of the player the next day as well.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM

JK98, while I understand your argument that it is much easier to replace the batteries in a player, it also quarrels me that you are so dedicated. As no9 said, why don'y you make your own player?? This may solve a lot of your problems.

For many, it is not the issue of simply replacing the batteries. These batteries first need to be bought, and I know for a fact that batteries can get quite expensive. We have a lot of rechargeable batteries, and they cost a lot of money. Mum and Dad got them for all our toys so it didn't cost as much. Yet, now, they are just sitting inside the spare room not getting used.

Why? Because no-one wants them or needs them. I consider myself to be in the average market - someone who the companies design their products towards. As a customer - with the new lines of products now on the shelf I bypass most products that run off AA or AAA batteries. They are usually underpowerful, don't last as long and are quite annoying to replace. Yes, they are much easier to change, but it is extremely easier just to plug it into the wall.

Why would I want to carry extra batteries in my pocket? As most males will tell you, nothing is carried in a "murse" or "manbag." I carry my ipod, phone, wallet and keys everywhere. I don't want to be weighed down due to the fact that my player will soon be "flat" and I need to replace it to continue listening. To me, I plug my ipod/ZVM once every 2 days to the wall charger at my "charging station" (where everything I have charges) and the next day they are ready to go. I don't have to physically handle the player, other then shove something in it's port. (lol).

As an average consumer this is what I want - I don't want to have to be forking out money for batteries after I already purchase the player. Yes, I understand that they have a limited cycle (like 1000-1500) but to me, by then, it will be scratched, broken and in need of replacing.

I can understand why you want them, but you have to consider the average consumer, and what they want. This is the profile that the companies head for, this is the profile that will make them money.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

See the thread I started on the Sandisk message board requesting a AA battery based player. It has 57 messages, and has been viewed over 5700 times. I am not the only one who wants a AA battery based player.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...&thread.id=538

Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just an itty-bitty reminder that I can't find a AAA battery based Sansa Slot Media player in a store. They haven't made it to Canada as far as I can tell. Wal-Mart and Best Buy in the States have stopped carrying them. Sandisk doesn't seem to want to ship to Canada anymore.

I bought a second Clip for $20 US instead of a Slot Media player. Kinda wish I'd waited for the Clip+, but I've had some use out of the second Clip already.

I'm thinking that the 'success' of the Slot Media player will deter Sansa from a AA based player.

Steve

Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
See the thread I started on the Sandisk message board requesting a AA battery based player. It has 57 messages, and has been viewed over 5700 times. I am not the only one who wants a AA battery based player.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...&thread.id=538
Although I do see a want out there for your AA player that thread has 18 posts by you and 8 by another guy telling you how worthless and unneeded it would be. Also a view of the thread doesn't make all that much of a difference to anything. You yourself probably viewed it atleast 200 times. The odds of any of the big companies making a high profile player that takes AA or AAA batteries is pretty slim. Your in the 2% range for consumer demand and nobody with any sense makes players for that small of a demand.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I hate connecting a player to charge.
WTF is wrong with you? i could almost understand it if you had an aversion to computers but your post count says otherwise.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The problem with the Slotmusic player wasn't the use of a AAA battery, but the lack of a display, and the only navigation is a song forward or a song back. If they had at least given the player a way to go forward or back a folder at a time, then the player would be much more useful. It still wouldn't solve the problem of the lower sound quality than the Clip or Fuze though.

Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, battery, beating a dead horse, eco-terrorism, jk98, replacement