android
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Default TV OUT question/problem

Hi all
I am just getting the hang of my new s9 and so far its great.
However, when I plugged in the AV cables that I got from Cowon, into the AUX 1 red/white/yellow inputs on the TV, and start up a movie, once the movie plays I cant access the screen. When the movie is playing it wont let me see or be able to touch any of the icons.
The player is set at NTCS for my region. I have firmware 2.41 as well, the latest. Also, to eliminate any confusion or problems, I have ONLY the AV cables from the s9 going into the TV. There is no VCR, receiver etc. hooked up. The s9 is directly hooked to the TV.

What could be the problem?

and what channel mode do you put the TV on? Video 1 ? Ch. 3?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can hit the S9's volume (+) button to switch video back to the S9. The Volume (-) button will switch a movie on the TV to full screen mode.

The channel to set your TV on depends on the TV. Look at any labels by the inputs you used. Some will say Video1 or Video2. You'll need to either change the "input" not the channel, or go through the channels until you cycle to the video inputs.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
You can hit the S9's volume (+) button to switch video back to the S9. The Volume (-) button will switch a movie on the TV to full screen mode.

The channel to set your TV on depends on the TV. Look at any labels by the inputs you used. Some will say Video1 or Video2. You'll need to either change the "input" not the channel, or go through the channels until you cycle to the video inputs.
Well, I can see the video on the s9 while its playing in landscape mode, but when connected to AV cables to the TV, the s9 doesnt let me touch any icons. When I touch the screen, I get no function. Just the movie playing, like the screen is in lock mode

Also, can pictures and flash games be played with TV OUT to play pictures or games on the TV through the s9?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's normal for the S9 to go blank when outputting video. Apparently it can only drive one display at a time. Yes, the screen will be locked. The Volume buttons on the end will still work for the purposes I mentioned.

No, nothing else will output to a TV. You'll probably want a Zune HD for that.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It's normal for the S9 to go blank when outputting video. Apparently it can only drive one display at a time. Yes, the screen will be locked. The Volume buttons on the end will still work for the purposes I mentioned.

No, nothing else will output to a TV. You'll probably want a Zune HD for that.
thx for the help
thats strange why the TV OUT cant do pictures. Most TV OUT players can do video and pics. Do you think this will be implemented in the future or even possible?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, it would be nice to be able to get photos, games, and even music out that dock port cable. It's hard to know if it's the hardware or firmware that prevents this. TV shows run themselves, but photos would need you to interact. With the S9's screen OFF you're limited to the top buttons for interaction. Seems like they should be enough though.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd love to do music out of the cable (that's why I didn't purchase it myself, as tv out I really don't need). I'd hook it to my surround sound system and rock like crazy!!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

You can do music out of the headphone jack.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Wow, I'm shocked the S9 can only play movies thru TV out. That's really lame in fact!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
You can do music out of the headphone jack.
This I already know. But the line out would, hopefully, be a TRUE line out. I'd prefer that to the HP out myself.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
This I already know. But the line out would, hopefully, be a TRUE line out. I'd prefer that to the HP out myself.
What problems are you having with using the headphone output as a line out?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
What problems are you having with using the headphone output as a line out?
None, I have a personal preference, as I stated.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
None, I have a personal preference, as I stated.
Why do you have a personal preference for line output when you're not having any problems with using the headphone output?

For local dance events I own a 1,000 watt professional audio system including a 500 watt subwoofer. DJs regularly plug their iPod headphone outputs into the mixer to do their sets and they sound great. I was really surprised the first time we did this. Apparently output impedance isn't critical with modern audio equipment so line output isn't necessary any more.