android
Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Mac: e280 Mounts them immediately disconnects

have a Sansa e280 v1 player which I absolutely love. Doubly so, because it works with Rockbox. On Windows or Linux, using MSC mode, the player works just fine.

On the Mac, I've got issues. I plug in the player and it mounts on the desktop, showing both the internal memory and the microSD card. Right after it mounts, the player says Writing, and them immediately goes to Disconnected.

The player still shows up on the desktop, but as soon as you try and do anything to the player, it hangs the Finder until you disconnect it from the Mac.

I installed Rockbox on it, and used Rockbox's USB mode and it gives me the same issue.

If I switch to MTP mode, it connects and stays connected, but the Mac doesn't do MTP, so the player never mounts on the desktop.

Stats:

Sansa e280 v1 with latest firmware
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz with Snow Leopard installed. 4 GB of RAM and 2 other external USB HDs.

Sansa is plugged into a powered USB hub. Same issue happens whether the MicroSD slot is inserted or not.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Try it without the hub.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Default It's nto the hub

If I fire up a Windows VM and pass the device through to the VM, it works just fine.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM

That's odd, but looking around I found:
To get it to mount on the MacBook, I do the dance of plugging in in one mode, unplugging, changing to MSC mode, then plugging in. Works every time.
via
Mac Rumors Forum

It's just odd to me that something like this which seems to be a documented issue hasn't been fixed. Though while digging around I found:
Some devices are dual mode MTP and UMS/MSC. The UMS code on OS X is broken (as of approximately 10.4.8) so fails to mount your player. However, it will grab it so XNJB cannot connect. The only way of getting round this that I know of is to disable the UMS driver so you cannot mount any UMS devices (USB keys, cameras, etc.
via
The XNJB website which is supposed to support MTP connections of some MP3 players.

Not sure how useful that fix would be though.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputtertoo View Post
That's odd, but looking around I found:
To get it to mount on the MacBook, I do the dance of plugging in in one mode, unplugging, changing to MSC mode, then plugging in. Works every time.
via
Mac Rumors Forum
Hallelujah! After years of frustration trying to get my e280 v1 to connect to my iMac, sometimes spending half an hour or more of repeatedly plugging it in and then unplugging it, to no avail, this suggestion seems to work. Yes, it's an awkward dance, but I'm happy. Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Glad the info helped someone

Tags
disconnect, e280, mac