android
Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Default Clip+ have they fixed Podcast Playback

It was my understanding that the Clip played back podcasts in reverse order newest to oldest.
Have they fixed this issue on the new Clip+ ?
Zune 30GB (white-unfortunately)
Sennheiser CX300 and CXL400 lanyard headphones

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 PM

I believe they fixed that with the last firmware. I'm not 100% about that but i have nto had any problems with this with podcasts.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM

I have a set of about 10 podcasts that I listen to every day. I like to listen to them in the same order, and on my old player (Creative Zen Stone) I would set this up by putting the file names in alphabetical order (Monday's podcasts might be 11, 12, 13... Tuesday's podcasts 21, 22, 23... etc). The Zen had a "play one track and stop mode", so I would play the podcasts one at a time, and delete each podcast when it ended.

Does the Clip+ support something like this? Or is there a better way?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman1 View Post
I have a set of about 10 podcasts that I listen to every day. I like to listen to them in the same order, and on my old player (Creative Zen Stone) I would set this up by putting the file names in alphabetical order (Monday's podcasts might be 11, 12, 13... Tuesday's podcasts 21, 22, 23... etc). The Zen had a "play one track and stop mode", so I would play the podcasts one at a time, and delete each podcast when it ended.

Does the Clip+ support something like this? Or is there a better way?
I'm interested in this too since I'm considering upgrading from a Rockboxed e280 to a Clip or Clip+ (or Fuze) and my primary usage is listening to podcasts.

My old podcast aggregator (podracer on Linux) stored podcasts in subdirectories by sortable date (ISO 8601 compliant format - e.g. 2009-09-10 for tomorrow.) On the e280 I would just delete directories I had finished and add new days and Rockbox would just keep marching along. I wasn't concerned about order within a date and the few multipart casts I get seemed to play in the correct order (Science Friday.) I set Rockbox to continue from one directory to the next.

I'm wondering if the Clip/Clip+ has functionality to do something like this or if I need to make sure I get a V1 that can run Rockbox. I hear about podcast support but remain ignorant of the details.

One wrinkle is that I listen while touring on a motorcycle so any intervention with the player requires that I pull over, remove gloves ... (generally a PITA.) So having to navigate manually from one folder to the next would be a show stopper.

thanks,
hank

Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not sure if this answers your issues, but the Clip will play a file selected and then stop; play all within a folder (starting wherever you want) and then stop; play all within an artist, genre, or album selection (starting wherever you want) and stop; play all folders, albums, artists, genres or tracks (starting wherever you want) and stop. You also can delete a file on the Clip, by deleting it after it has been selected for play (it can be playing or be in pause). I imagine that you could put your podcasts in a folder (or label the podcasts with the same ID3 album, artist or genre tag), listen to the folder (or labeled album, artist or genre) and then delete the individual podcasts after you are done with the folder (or, after you have listed to podcast 1 in the folder and the player has gone on to podcast 2 in the folder, click left to go back to podcast 1 and then delete it; or at podcast 1's very end before the player goes on to podcast 2, delete it--you could put the podcast into pause at the very end in order to do this).

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Please explain what you mean by "play a file selected and then stop". I'm not seeing this. I have a folder "New Folder" inside my "PODCASTS" folder. I navigate to a file by starting at the main Music menu... right click... down click to "Folders".. right click... click down to PODCASTS... right click... (New Folder is selected)... right click... click down to a file... middle click. It starts playing, and when it's done the next track starts.

I know that I can delete a track by returning to it after the next track has started, but I much preferred having the player stop so I could delete it. The Zen did that in just a couple of clicks because its menu system also remembered the last command executed... which the Click doesn't.

I will add that if I name the files alphabetically, that they play in that order... but only if I go through "Folders" mode. If I go through "Podcasts" mode, it tries to sort based on tags. Which most podcast suppliers don't use consistently.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I apologize--I misspoke. I could have sworn that if you chose a single file, the Clip would play the file and stop. It will--but only if the file is the only one in the folder or list (which it was, in my case). My mistake--sorry. As far as I'm aware, the Clip doesn't otherwise have a "stop and wait" ability. You would need to delete the podcasts as they get to the end of each podcast, or go back and delete, as far as I'm aware. It might not be a big issue for you in the end, as the Clip remembers where it left off when you shut down--and so you can play through the podcasts in your folder, in a single or multiple sessions, and then simply delete that folder when you next connect to your computer, for your next podcast downloading to the Clip.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM

So What order does it play the podcasts. Does it play them in Chronological order or counter-chronological order?
Zune 30GB (white-unfortunately)
Sennheiser CX300 and CXL400 lanyard headphones

Tags
clip+, order, playback, podcast, sansa