android
Old 08-29-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Nearly certain, its not easy to get off nor does it have a tab to pull like every other film. They had this same stuff on the Zen, but i eventually peeled it off of that with difficulty. I dont think they intend for you to take this stuff off.
By the way you describe it, sounds like i have the same thing on my phone. Collected tons of crap at the corners exactly like you describe and after having it for nearly over 2 years now, one of the corners is starting to peel off. Very annoying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 AM

Issued screen protector maybe??

I know when I got my ZVM there was a screen protector on it.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm curious too about what apps it comes with. Is there anything to at least demo the multitouch, GPS, cameras, bluetooth, accelerometer... ?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM

so will they update the software so it will run better?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesneptune View Post
so will they update the software so it will run better?
Yes...

The timeline for Developmental Updates runs well into year 2010.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Android to be released, since that's the platform for which I'm most interested in developing apps.

Look at the Zii EGG/DE as sort of an open source DAP/PMP platform, and you'll get the idea.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post
Yes...

The timeline for Developmental Updates runs well into year 2010.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Android to be released, since that's the platform for which I'm most interested in developing apps.

Look at the Zii EGG/DE as sort of an open source DAP/PMP platform, and you'll get the idea.
But plaszma isnt open-source, right? Will they release the code source for their android build and bootloader?

I am very curious of how well android will be on the zii, because i am worried by the lack of hardware buttons and multitouch

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM

im trying to decide laptop or zii what do you think?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can get a netbook for less than a Zii at the moment. The Zii is still in the developer stage, and no one knows if a retail version will show up before 2010.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:48 PM

yea, but a netbook can't be carried in your pocket...

Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiWarrior View Post
yea, but a netbook can't be carried in your pocket...
Yea, but since he was considering a notebook "pocketable" was clearly not a requirement.

Where any of these pocketable players break down is when you want to get some serious work done on them. It's true for the iPhone/Touch and it'll be true for the Zii. They may support productivity apps and have the needed processing power, but the small screen and virtual keyboards don't compare to a 10" or larger screen and real keyboard on a net/notebook.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Why am I not so excited?

My first mp3 player was a creative nomad, my second was a creative zen vision m, and my third was an Itouch. I know this will make many stop reading this post immediately. I know. I jumped ship and bought apple. Terrible, horrible apple. I had a few other players in between, but they're unimportant for the point I want to make here.

I loved and love my zen vision m abundantly. It plays music gracefully with an amazing sound quality. Sure it sucks when it comes to music codec support, but video support is good. And I can plug it in to my TV and watch my divx movies without any problems. And that's why I bought it.

But I am also an enthusiast. Not so much an audiophile, but I like to see these little metallic things doing many things at once. I love technology, and even more I like trying out new things. I wanted my zen vision m to play flac and ogg, and other formats. I wanted for it be truly open. I've been waiting for years for the rockbox crew to finally crack it, but it seems such an event will never take place. Creative simply dropped it and never again released an updated firmware. What kind of nonsense is that?

I got tired of waiting for creative to come out with something new and decided to buy myself something new. My zen vision m's battery doesn't hold anymore. So that I did. Other companies came out with great players. Cowon, archos, samsung, sony, and even microsoft (although they compare to apple with their limited choices).

I thought about it a lot and gave the Itouch a try. Sure the sound quality wasn't as great as the zen vision m. But right now, I can't really tell the difference with my pair of $150 On Ear bose, or the 60$ sennheiser. Maybe these are not the best headphones, but they sound amazing to me with either the vision m, or the itouch.

I loved the Itouch so much, that I decided to resell it and buy myself an Iphone. Now, that's a love story. And here is my point. I've been for years bashing a company for their overpriced and low-quality products. But my experience tells me otherwise.

I hated the difficulty in getting accessories for my Vision M. But the story is different now. I have accessories for the Iphone everywhere I turn. Every store, every corner...

I guess my point is that creative finally got it right, but it's been a long time coming. It seems all the players I see are simply mimicking apple. In design there's no doubt. And in function also. The only thing I see in the Zii that the Iphone lacks is the frontal camera (which I am sure the fourth generation will bring). You can argue that sound quality will be better, better codec support. But i gave that up a long time ago. MP3's will have to cut.

Why didn't creative release a player ready to be used? Software fully functional, gps working, android taking the reigns? Because let's be real here. The only other thing that I see coming close to what apple has now is android, if it does. And I truly hope it'll work itself out.

I've come to expect a lot more than just music support from my mp3 players. Maybe I shouldn't even call them that anymore. Maybe super little computers. And I use windows because of the applications I can't live without on a daily basis. I've come to use the Iphone in the same sense. Even the jailbreaking which adds more functionality than I ever dreamed of having with rockbox on the vision m. Then comes the factor that a widely used platform is worth the price.

I truly hope the Zii stands out as a device, and if it does come to major American networks as a phone, then I'll definitely consider it if the applications area is well developed, but from what I'm reading, the wait doesn't seem to be over.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephersir7 View Post
any info on what codecs are currently supported by the device?
From what i have seen with mine current support is limited to H.264/MPEG4 AVC for video. MP3 work with no issue. I tried FLAC but that was a no go. But as flac was listed in the legal info on the device so I am hopeful for support. Also video have to be converted before placing on the device or they will not play. I believe the next update will bring support for more codecs.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

WMV and AVI will play along with MP4. At least that's what I've been able to cull off of assorted blogs and youtube videos. It doesn't look like ANY of the "cool" features are even demonstrable yet. No GPS, Bluetooth, Multitouch, Cameras apps, etc. Isn't there supposed to be an FM radio? You'll need a radio app for that and I haven't seen one in any photos. I figured they would at least cover the basics with token demo apps. So far the Zii is a baby. Not even crawling yet.

Has anyone checked the Music app to see how/if it does gapless playback?

Last edited by Olley; 09-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
WMV and AVI will play along with MP4. At least that's what I've been able to cull off of assorted blogs and youtube videos. It doesn't look like ANY of the "cool" features are even demonstrable yet. No GPS, Bluetooth, Multitouch, Cameras apps, etc. Isn't there supposed to be an FM radio? You'll need a radio app for that and I haven't seen one in any photos. I figured they would at least cover the basics with token demo apps. So far the Zii is a baby. Not even crawling yet.

Has anyone checked the Music app to see how/if it does gapless playback?
There is no FM radio

Old 09-02-2009, 02:13 PM

An interesting thing occurred today...

I was at my local Fry's Electronics, and happened upon a pretty decent leather case for my Zii EGG.

It's manufactured for the iPod Touch/iPhone by VAKOSS (model CT-1860-bk), and cost only 4.99 US.

Note: The device fits perfectly, and even the lens for the rear-facing camera lines up... Cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zii EGG Case ABI.jpg (91.1 KB, 33 views)

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
ABI Founder

nice find! here is the product page, cant find it for sale on line though.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zii measurements are almost the same as the iPhone, so any iPhone case that has a little stretch or wiggle room should work.

Enzo... Does yours have a camera or email app? I noticed them on the Zii developer's page, but not on several developer's blog photos.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Man... the more i read, the more i can't wait for this thing to come out consumer style...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The Zii measurements are almost the same as the iPhone, so any iPhone case that has a little stretch or wiggle room should work.

Enzo... Does yours have a camera or email app? I noticed them on the Zii developer's page, but not on several developer's blog photos.
According to the roadmap, email app is planned for "Q4 2009"

Camera app is due for this month

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for pointing me to the roadmap, Nephersir7. It doesn't look like they are on schedule though. Several items listed for August aren't yet functional.