android
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Cool Zune HD vs Creative Zii Egg

It has been a while since I've been on the abi forums, and I'm glad to be back with all of the exiting PMP news that has been going around lately.

After every 18 months, it's now time for me to buy a new MP3 player, so I'm on the hunt again for a new device! The Zune HD looks like a killer device, but the Zii EGG looks like a competitor as well. Should I hold out until the Zii EGG is released, or should I settle for the Zune HD? I have a Samsung P2, and the sound quality of the new device I'm buying must be on par with the P2's DNSe. The Zune HD's pre-set EQs seems to be ok, but I doubt it could compete with the P2's DNSe. I have looked at the Sony X-1000 (which has DNSe), but I don't find it worth upgrading to a $400 PMP. What do you think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There is no guarantee that you'll ever be able to buy a retail version of the Zii. $399 will get you the 32gb Zii developer's model though, along with the SDK. As far as I know they haven't shipped any so no-one has been able to test one yet.

The Zune HD has been shown off in video and photos on many sites. It looks pretty impressive, yet there are still a few things we won't know about it until launch Sept. 15th.

If you aren't using the P2's bluetooth, then you might consider the Cowon S9. It uses the same OLED screen the Zune HD will have. It won't have the WiFi of the Zune, but will be a great upgrade over your P2. Very customizable. Excellent sound. Gapless playback. Broad codec support. Beautiful design.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Why wont the s9 get wifi????

Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiznumber1 View Post
Why wont the s9 get wifi????
It doesn't have Wifi at the moment. Only Cowon knows if there will be a future version that does have WiFi. For the moment you've asked an impossible question because what it presumes is unknown.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM

i like the Zune HD better actually... the non-android interface of the ZII reminds me of the ipod touch a bit.... if im not mistaken

Old 08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's true the Zune HD (like earlier Zune models) has a unique interface compared to anything with an icon array for a main menu. Conceptually it's not all that foreign though. You'll still have to tap on something (line items vs. icons). You still have several things to choose from (several lines vs. several icons). Both players have a Tegra processor in them. The Zii has more "accessory" hardware inside to take advantage of it though. Two cameras, GPS, Bluetooth, and so on. It's a shame we won't be seeing a retail version anytime soon, as I'd love to see a real showdown between them.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Both players have a Tegra processor in them.
Well, no. The Zii EGG has a Creative Zii processor in it, which is in direct competition to Nvidia's Tegra.

Anyway, I too would love to see a consumer-model Zii come to the table for a showdown.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Zune HD is a consumer product, not a spec model for a chip.
Creative Zii is a spec model for a chip, not a consumer product.

I doubt Creative will release a consumer model now that they are selling the spec model. For the same reason that Microsoft doesn't make their own phones or computers. They would be in competition with the people they would sell their product too, and it pretty clear that in those cases Creative and Microsoft would win.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
The Zii EGG has a Creative Zii processor in it, which is in direct competition to Nvidia's Tegra.
You're right, epith. I'm starting to get my upcoming media players all confused!

What will probably happen is that CNet will do a showdown between the Zune HD and the Zii. And none of us will be surprised when they (as usual) pick the iPod Touch as the winner.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're right, epith. I'm starting to get my upcoming media players all confused!

What will probably happen is that CNet will do a showdown between the Zune HD and the Zii. And none of us will be surprised when they (as usual) pick the iPod Touch as the winner.
so true. and it is funny.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ha! Oh, Cnet...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM

As a UK customer I have to think that say in 6 months time when I walk into a shop to buy a new media player which one is likely to be in the store?

The ZuneHD or a Zii based unit?

That'll be the Zii based one then.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM

I used to swear by Creative MP3 players. But due to lack of support and accessories, I jumped ship and got a Zune 80. I haven't looked back since. The thing with this comparison is that the Zune HD will be here in like 26 days. The Zii... I have no idea. We may see a retail device at CES in January with a release date late 2010. We may not. We don't know when this will hit market. There's even still a chance that it won't even hit market. It may be 18 months until we see the Zii and since you suggest you work on an 18 month life span with your devices, you could get the Zune HD now and then the Zii when it's available.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

what about ZuneHD vs Samsung Yepp M1

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

I was just wondering this myself, and coming from a P2 owner, the M1 does look promising. I'm sure Samsung's DNSe 3.0 will have the best sound quality, but the UI still looks like the same-old-same-old. I'll wait for an ABI review for the M1, Zii, and Zune HD, and may the best PMP win!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any day now the Zii Egg that ships with the SDK should be showing up on blogs and tech sites. Hopefully we'll start to find out just what it can do and what status the software on it is at. I noticed on the Zii site a clue that you could use it's HD camera to take an image of text, and the text-to-speech capability could read it to you. GPS on-board has to be useful for more than navigation. The big unknown is whether it'll ever be a retail consumer product.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM

The Zii Egg looks a a little, well mehhhhh after watching this vid:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/28/c...videos-posted/

It's too laggy for me, I want something with a smooth UI like the Zune HD's. Now I'm almost interested in the Nokia N900.

http://shop.nokia.de/nokia-de/produc...&culture=de-DE

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even Enzo has his quick and dirty overview of the Zii Egg here (ABI front page) now. You need to keep in mind that it's a raw developer's model, and that's all anyone will have to play with and review for awhile. I expect a few firmware updates to come along quickly and smooth things out.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Lookwise, I think the ZuneHD is gorgeous. Creative Zii looks too much like a iTouch/Phone.*sigh*
I feel like a traitor saying that :P

Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 AM

the hardware capabilities of the zii out-classes the zune HD but softwarewise the zune HD holds the top seat for now.

Tags
comparison, eq, hd, zii, zune