android
Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Default E5, Clip and Portapros?

So, what, if any, effects would I see if I put an E5 between my Clip and my Portapros? I'm hoping for a bit more volume, and maybe some improvement in overall sound quality?

I see Marvin the Martian has used the E3 and 5 with the KSC75s, which are the same drivers as Portapros (by the way, Marvin, is it true that the Illudium P32 Explosive Space Modulator can be modded into one serious headphone amp? ).

Hardware: Sansa Clip 8GB * Koss Portapro * Koss KE29 * Altec Lansing Portable Speakers Software: Rhapsody * EAC * Ziepod * Mediamonkey * Foobar2000 * Winamp * AnalogWhole * and tons of other A/V software.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColmCille View Post
So, what, if any, effects would I see if I put an E5 between my Clip and my Portapros? I'm hoping for a bit more volume, and maybe some improvement in overall sound quality?

I see Marvin the Martian has used the E3 and 5 with the KSC75s, which are the same drivers as Portapros (by the way, Marvin, is it true that the Illudium P32 Explosive Space Modulator can be modded into one serious headphone amp? ).
It would indeed give you more volume. I haven't heard the PP's myself, but the fact that they are on a headband and not clip-ons leads me to believe that they would be more "bassy" and have less high range response (ksc75 have a little too much of this and can get shrill)...that is what I hear if I press the KSC75's against my head.

The Clip does have to be turned up a decent bit to power the KSC75, so I imagine the PP would be the same way. I would suggest the E5 would be better for you than the E3, because the E3 has an inherent bass boost that can not be disabled, and from what I read the PP's are not lacking in that area. The E5's bass boost is selectable, which gives you a lot more freedom to use it with different headphones. You most likely would not need the boost with the PP's.

Whether or not it adds overall sound quality is a very subjective thing that more often than not causes disagreement, but in this case, given the specs of the KSC75 and PortaPro, I think it would indeed help. Best way to use the E5 is have your source volume close to max (unless you have a true line-out connection) and control your volume with the E5's volume controller.

My beloved Illudium P32 Explosive Space Modulator was broken by one of my brainless dehydrated Martians.....so it's on the shelf for now.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks Marvin.

I was looking at the E5 for several reasons--switchable bass boost, more power, the USB chargeable Li-ion, the volume control, the clip, even the power button. The E5 has "actual, honest to goodness features" as Stuart Andrews said in his review at trustedreviews.com.

The fact that it looks an awful lot like an iPod shuffle is a big strike against it, but the fact that it is not an iPod shuffle goes a long way toward its redemption. And the fact that it is not made by Apple at all almost makes up for everything. Still, it would have been better had they tried to imitate a Sansa.

As for the PPs, while they aren't lacking in bass, they also have some pretty sharp highs. Not as much so as the 75s, from what I hear, but in certain songs it can be a bit much (apparently the 75s have titanium coated drivers, whereas the PPs and KSC35s do not, which may account for the difference).

Many say that the Kramer mod--which involves drilling holes in the driver cover--both opens the bass up and tames the highs a bit on the 75s, and are supposed to improve the PPs as well. I'll probably try it at some point, but I just got these PPs and want to break them in a bit before I do too much modding.

I did get some bigger pads (off an old pair of KTX-1s), and cut a quarter sized hole out of the middle, which seemed to help a bit. Made them a bit less muffled, and seemed to tamed the bass a bit (probably moving the drivers further away from my ear accounts for some of the effect).

Sorry to hear about the IP32-ESM, you might want to save up for the P42, anyway.

Hardware: Sansa Clip 8GB * Koss Portapro * Koss KE29 * Altec Lansing Portable Speakers Software: Rhapsody * EAC * Ziepod * Mediamonkey * Foobar2000 * Winamp * AnalogWhole * and tons of other A/V software.

Last edited by ColmCille; 08-18-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Additional info re titanium coated drivers

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColmCille View Post
Thanks Marvin.
Many say that the Kramer mod--which involves drilling holes in the driver cover--both opens the bass up and tames the highs a bit on the 75s, and are supposed to improve the PPs as well.
It was my understanding that the Kramer mod actually increased the highs, which seeing as how the KSC75's need less highs, so I can't imagine wanting to do it to them. I use the E3 or E5 with them because in addition to the bass boost there's a slight attenuation of the highs. Without my FiiOs the KSC75 can get ear-piercingly shrill at higher volumes, at least with the Clip, which I don't use the EQ on(because it blows)