android
Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Can you delete files in folders from the player?

I put some video files in folders within the video folder to keep the various shows seperated and I watched a show and then couldn't delete it. The X for deleting files was grayed out. Nothing I could do from the folder browser or the video browser would delete the file or un-gray the delete icon.

I connected to the computer and moved the files out of their individual folders into the video folder and then I was able to delete them easily.

This is a pretty minor problem, I agree, and I won't cry if I can't use folders, but I'd like to have that option if I can and still be able to delete files from the player. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

By the way, I just got this player yesterday and I'm impressed.

Barry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I put some video files in folders within the video folder to keep the various shows seperated and I watched a show and then couldn't delete it. The X for deleting files was grayed out. Nothing I could do from the folder browser or the video browser would delete the file or un-gray the delete icon.

I connected to the computer and moved the files out of their individual folders into the video folder and then I was able to delete them easily.

This is a pretty minor problem, I agree, and I won't cry if I can't use folders, but I'd like to have that option if I can and still be able to delete files from the player. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

By the way, I just got this player yesterday and I'm impressed.

Barry

go to your browser's home (one with folder, artist, songs, etc.) click FOLDER. it should be the very first one on the top. then just click the song and X it.

deleting won't work if you're not in the actual folder browser (not tags)

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Does anyone know why Cowon hasn't given us the ability to delete when browsing by the tags?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Does anyone know why Cowon hasn't given us the ability to delete when browsing by the tags?
Because it's a somewhat unnecessary item to implement. If you can go into the folders and delete files, it really a non-issue.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Yes, why would you want to just delete something that's right on the screen like you can on every other MP3 player? It's just a matter of memorizing the file name on the top of the screen, going to the main menu, opening the Browser, going back up to the top, selecting Folders, then selecting the directory it may or may not be in, and then searching for the file that contains what you wanted to delete in the thousands of files in that folder and then deleting that.

MP3 players play files in directories, not "songs". Learning the directory structure of your MP3 player makes you smarter!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I love sarcasm, it's what makes my world go round!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I had gone into the folders and tried to delete them but I guess I hadn't. It's working fine now.

As to whether they should implement deleting without re-navigating to the file, I agree with both of you. I think it would be nice and save some steps with TV shows since I'll usually want to delete them when I'm done watching. On the other hand, I can delete them and that's what matters and a few extra steps are only a minor annoyance.

So yeah, they should do it but no, it doesn't really matter much.

Hmmm...did I just agree with both of you or disagree with both of you?

Barry

Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The reason that it's ONLY available from the "Folder" view is to prevent accidentally deleting a song or video by accident. I've seen people making the mistake on other players, so the extra step is actually a safety measure IMO.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Because it's a somewhat unnecessary item to implement. If you can go into the folders and delete files, it really a non-issue.
Exactly.

I've never understood the need to browse by tags when the S9 is set up with folder browsing in mind.

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The reason that it's ONLY available from the "Folder" view is to prevent accidentally deleting a song or video by accident. I've seen people making the mistake on other players, so the extra step is actually a safety measure IMO.
You can't be serious. When you go through the extra steps to delete a file it finally gives you the "O/X" confirmation before deleting it. How clumsy do you have to be to "accidentally" delete a song or file when you have to tap a second confirmation?

I've never accidentally deleted a file from any MP3 player I've ever owned in seven years. They always have a second confirmation before deletion like any well-written software.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3UndergroundFan View Post
I've never understood the need to browse by tags when the S9 is set up with folder browsing in mind.
Because many people want to browse by artist, genre and the many other kinds of information contained in tags. File names don't contain this information.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Because many people want to browse by artist, genre and the many other kinds of information contained in tags. File names don't contain this information.
Okay. That makes sense.

I think it's because I already organize my folders that way, i.e. by artists, genre, etc., that I don't think about tags.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Even if you accidentally delete a song, you only have yourself to blame. Do Cowon think people will come complaining to them? Back your shit up, have copies on your computer and MP3 player, and THEN there's a non issue IMO.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I think it's because I already organize my folders that way, i.e. by artists, genre, etc., that I don't think about tags.
How do you put a single song simultaneously into an artist folder, an album folder, and a genre folder?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
How do you put a single song simultaneously into an artist folder, an album folder, and a genre folder?
I don't. There's a method to my madness.

I'm not particular about tagging. Since I like browsing by folders I simply create folders that I organize according to artist, album, genre, etc.

Take "genre" for example. I like house music. I might consider a song "house" but it might be tagged "acid", or "tribal" or something dance related. Instead of re-tagging these songs, I just put them all in a folder, name it "house music" and it's all good.

Now, if I had a house music CD by a single artist/DJ, I would just name the folder the same name as the CD (or artist/DJ) and place it within the house music folder.

I should mention that my music folder is where all of my music resides. It's within this folder that I would have folders organized by artist, album, genre, etc.

Because everything is in its own folder within the music folder, and because I usually have the boundary set to folder, only songs within their respective folders get shuffled in shuffle mode.

Again this all works best when browsing in folder mode.

Okay. I hope that wasn't too much to digest. Maybe it's confusing too. But, it really works for me. And I never have to resolve the types of tricky issues that some users have with tagging, sorting, shuffle mode, etc.

Last edited by Mp3UndergroundFan; 08-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM

I still don't have my S9 back so I can't check this myself, but isn't the player set up to browse by tags more than folders? I think it is, from memory... Can someone confirm this?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
You can't be serious. When you go through the extra steps to delete a file it finally gives you the "O/X" confirmation before deleting it. How clumsy do you have to be to "accidentally" delete a song or file when you have to tap a second confirmation?
AGREED 100%!

Quote:
I've never accidentally deleted a file from any MP3 player I've ever owned in seven years. They always have a second confirmation before deletion like any well-written software.
Totally agree, and me too.

Here's another thing to consider... Cowon has given us the choice to browse by folders or tags. But not the choice to delete by folders or tags. That is simply inconsistent. If you are going to make a player with heaps of cool options that the iPlop doesn't have, you might as well do it all the way.

I'm telling you now, it's not a "safety feature" (no offense Dark Side), but just laziness on Cowon's part to impliment the extra coding into the ware, or if it was a matter of running out of room for the delete button, poor design.

"My penis, wah!" - Patton Oswalt.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
I still don't have my S9 back so I can't check this myself, but isn't the player set up to browse by tags more than folders? I think it is, from memory... Can someone confirm this?
I don't know the official word from Cowon, but I found this on a blog:

Browsing your media is done by either file folder browsing, or ID3 tag browsing. Both of these are in the same screen. So for instance at the “root screen” you will see: “Folders”, “Artists”, “Albums”, “Songs”, ect… So if you want to browse your collection by folder you would press “Folder” in the list. If you want to browse by ID3, the appropriate tag categories are below “Folders”.

http://abervanci.blogspot.com/2009/01/cowon-s9.html

I've browsed by folder with most of the players I've owned. So I'm very used to folder browsing.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Take "genre" for example. I like house music. I might consider a song "house" but it might be tagged "acid", or "tribal" or something dance related. Instead of re-tagging these songs, I just put them all in a folder, name it "house music" and it's all good.
This method fails for me because artists release albums with songs that belong to different genres. I re-tag each individual song to its genre.

I wouldn't DJ with an handheld MP3 player (although some people have) but I'm used to organizing my music this way on my laptop. I was able to mirror this organization with my Creative Zen. I haven't even figured out how to find the genre of what song is playing yet on the S9.