android
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Default Zune USB Support for Car Headunits Petition

EVERY major manufacturer is now selling units with USB front/rear jacks for USB devices...

That's the good news.

Less than a year ago, the only "MP3" input was an iPod jack, which shut every Zune user out. But alas, now we have USB input(s), but Microsoft isn't taking advantage of it. Microsoft could easily provided our units the ability to stream through these devices so that we can have integration with our cars and Zunes.

If nothing else, they could use the same data-stream format used by the iPod to transmit to the car stereo, meaning all of the "iPod" functionality you get when you use an iPod over a thumb drive would work with our Zunes.

I purchased the DEH-P5100UB (already knowing that there was no Zune support) just because there were 2 USB ports on it. I am HOPING that Microsoft will update the Zune firmware to allow it to stream to these headunits.

For now, I use a 32GB Flash drive mounted in my glovebox. But I would love the ability to use my Zune!

If anyone else agrees. Post here and let your voice be heard.

Let's tell Microsoft to get on the ball and make their device on par with the iPod/iPhone in the mobile audio arena.

BTW: Let's hope the ZuneHD isn't plagued by the same issues either!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Zune Moderator

The problem is not the Zune completely, the car campanies have to put that capability into the cars.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
The problem is not the Zune completely, the car campanies have to put that capability into the cars.

MS needs to work with one company to get the whole UI intergrated into the head unit. Imagine a 5 inch touch screen UI in your dash thats exactly like your zune hd interface and will control the zune as if your using the zune touch screen.

It be a great move. To bad MS isn't doing it

Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
MS needs to work with one company to get the whole UI intergrated into the head unit. Imagine a 5 inch touch screen UI in your dash thats exactly like your zune hd interface and will control the zune as if your using the zune touch screen.

It be a great move. To bad MS isn't doing it
Couldn't they work with Ford? I mean they already worked together to develop that weird SYNC thing on some Ford cars...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Yea that be great for ford owners. But i'm talking about a high quality aftermarket replacement.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105AVX8...All=N&tp=20217

But touch screen. Just hook up your zune to that and have the interface on it. That would be amazing adn I really think if they team with someone they can get some good movement on the units. Its lack of features like this that really keep the zunes behind the ipods

Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM

I on the other hand had no clue that the Zune wouldn't work with the DEH-P5100UB Pioneer radio!! I just found out today after installing it into my Camaro, and I was pissed. After reading your thread I have to agree that MS has to do something for it's users or they won't have any! I just got done arguing with someone last night about Ipod Vs. Zune.... I feel like I wasted my time after what I found out today. I'm going to do the flash drive thing too...but I bought this radio so I could use my Zune

Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As long as the other MP3 player manufacturers neglect to make readily available accessories for their products so they could used with any car stereo that has a standard USB connector ipod will dominate. It's one of the main reasons they are so popular. I own many Creative players but I can't just go buy a speaker dock for them. Same for other brands. The Zen VM had a speaker dock made for it(made by Cambridge Works) but it was very cost prohibitive at well over $300.00USD. You can get a speaker/clock radio/charging dock for an ipoo for under $30.00. The sound quality of a ipoo is not as good as many other players yet they have a huge share of the market. So for now I just carry several USB thumbdrives with my music files. No CD's to carry & store is great

Last edited by coachop94; 04-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRog87 View Post
I on the other hand had no clue that the Zune wouldn't work with the DEH-P5100UB Pioneer radio!! I just found out today after installing it into my Camaro, and I was pissed. After reading your thread I have to agree that MS has to do something for it's users or they won't have any! I just got done arguing with someone last night about Ipod Vs. Zune.... I feel like I wasted my time after what I found out today. I'm going to do the flash drive thing too...but I bought this radio so I could use my Zune
The missing link here is that the head unit has to have the Zune (or iPod, or Creative, etc.) USB driver installed. I'd be shocked if MS didn't make this driver freely available to any and all head unit makers... so yeah, maybe they need to push harder, but in reality the head unit guys will need to see more demand for zune support before they do much more than they are now...

Tags
car audio, petition, usb, zune