android
Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Most iPod owners use them to listen to music. They don't care about the screen. I still find my Creative Zen more convenient to listen to music than my S9. I have to google to figure out how to do the most mundane things with it like set the music to shuffle or delete a file since the S9 UI uses tiny squiggly icons instead of English words.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 AM

I am also using my Creative Zen Vision:M until my S9 arrives back here, and I do not like how we cannot "add to queue." In my honest and humble opinion, this is a huge oversight by Cowon.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM

How do you confuse an Apple Fan Boy?
Simple, get a Cowon S9, rebadge as Apple Ipod and tell the twit that this is the next generation Ipod coming out with this new AMOLED screen and also let them listen to the brilliant sound quality.

Bet you they will be jumping for joy !!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropez29 View Post
My co-worker has an ipod classic 240Gb. When I heard 240, I asked how much stuff he has on there. He couldn't say, so I asked what percent of free space he has. He still didn't know. But he argued that he couldn't have anything less than that because he hates swapping stuff on and off. He said this way, he can put his entire music collection and video collection on his ipod and will hardly ever have to connect it to the PC.

He said he wanted the best of the best, and the ipod was the best name out there and the 240 was the most space he could get. Then he laughed at my 16gb cowon s9. I asked to see his classic, I picked it up (almost dropped it cause it was so heavy) and first thing I notice is all the scratches. Being the nice person I am, I wasn't rude about it, but I had to show him how light the S9 was, so loaded up Kung Fu and gave it to him. He didn't blink for about a minute, with jaw open, I could tell he was impressed. Then his only response was "wow, technology keeps advancing". I laughed and said "yeah for some companies" and walked away.
I find it hard to believe that his Ipod had 240GB on it or this some fairy tale he made up. I thought the Ipod cannot accept that amount of capacity and really if so whose going to fill up 240GB, I mean I struggle filling up a 60GB on my ZVM yet again an Ipod.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinoni View Post
Simple, get a Cowon S9, rebadge as Apple Ipod and tell the twit that this is the next generation Ipod coming out with this new AMOLED screen and also let them listen to the brilliant sound quality.

Bet he'll try and steal your S9.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
I am also using my Creative Zen Vision:M until my S9 arrives back here, and I do not like how we cannot "add to queue." In my honest and humble opinion, this is a huge oversight by Cowon.
For playing music I'm sticking to the Zen. The S9's curved back shows it really wasn't made to sit on a desk, especially since the physical buttons are on the top and bottom meaning you have to grab the entire device to press them. Simple things that you get in English by pressing down on one physical button on the Zen are confusing icons that sometimes require more than one tap or just don't even exist. Unlike the Zen, the screen will not stay on so there's no way to just look over and see what song is playing. If I want to save battery power on the Zen, I can turn the screen off. And why on Earth is it useless whenever it's plugged in? The battery in my Zen will probably last several more years because it's never draining when I use it (I'm not so sure about the screen though). I'm sure someday I'll accidentally drain the battery on the S9 just because I didn't realize I left it on.

For video the S9 is only marginally better, mainly because I don't have to deal with its UI. The screen is bigger and prettier but we're still talking about a tiny sub-SD 480x272 screen, hardly a major upgrade from the Zen. It gets covered with fingerprints in just a day or two.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The "240GB iPod" is indeed possible, and it is a mod, as musichound suggested.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7...CmoreStories.0

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3119...mk2431gah.html
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that his Ipod had 240GB on it or this some fairy tale he made up. I thought the Ipod cannot accept that amount of capacity and really if so whose going to fill up 240GB, I mean I struggle filling up a 60GB on my ZVM yet again an Ipod.
It can be done, if you want to shell out the $$. And there are plenty of people out there that can fill up 240GB....mostly the "audiophiles" that insist on lossless files only on their DAP's, however.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

You forgot the most important part...At the end reveal that it is a Cowon S9...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 AM

I have a Touch and an S9 and I see the difference. It's really much more noticeable to me with DVD rips and pics (downloads from game sites just don't cut it.) The viewing angles are great. That's one complaint I have about the Touch. Sure the viewing angles don't go negative like older devices (the D2) but when I want to watch a video with a friend I hate the fact that one of us has to squint to see what's going on. And no... I'm not gonna get all lovy dovy with him!

Other than that the contrast is really amazing. The screen goes from the deepest blacks (so deep that with the lights out you can't see where the screen ends) all the way up to blinding whites (I was watching Pleasantville and they had a Bowling score sign in the background that burned the hell out of my retinas.) 10000:1 native contrast for you tech heads. That's actually better than many LCD and Plasma TV's, an impressive feat on a portable. Anyway.... Touch probably has 100:1 contrast. They keep the contrast down to reduce any color banding (the result of the 16-bit color screen.) It makes high contrast images seem flat.

In all fairness, though, the Touch's screen does go brighter than the S9's which can be nice in bright environments such as outdoors. In direct sunlight, however, both screens go to shit for movies. Menu navigation is fine and a bit better on the Touch in that instance, though.

Response time is awesome, though tough to observe in many instances. If you're on a torrent site dling a files that's been used and abused more than 3 year old underwear, AMOLED isn't gonna make much of a difference in your viewing experience. You have to feed the S9 with primo content to get the response rate to shine through. Again, I watched Pleasantville and the scene where they're burning books is amazing. The way that the flames....ugh.... flame is very fast and wouldn't have been done justice on the Touch. I'll have to try it out on the Touch sometime...

Color's a toughy because the S9 has some fun color and I know subconsciously that it does have more accurate colors but I don't think that I can consciously quantify how much better it is or rationalize it. Again, turning up the Touch's brightness does bring it into closer contest with the S9. Still, I'm moved more by the S9.

Well, that's my S9 v Touch (iPhone) screen review. Hope you enjoyed reading.

PS thank God more companies are hopping onboard with (AM)OLED technology.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Just need more companies using gorilla glass, me and my friends joked around about it.

Every time it is mentioned which is quite often its gorilla glass - by gorillas, for gorillas, of gorillas.

We discussed why it could only be used on small screens because we estimated it takes approximately 6 full grown male gorillas to make one 3x4 piece of gorilla glass
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)