android
Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 AM

Default Broken powerbutton: repair or buy sth else?

So my power button broke a week ago, there is no resistance anymore, and it continuously detects the "Hold" function, so I have an always locked S9. What can I do? I read about a guy in the UK (Colin Piggot of Dadaudio.com) which could fix it, but does anyone have any experience with this? What does it cost (without shipping), and how long am I without my S9? Are there other options (no warranty, living in the Netherlands)? Is there a place where I can get spare parts, assuming it is very easy to put the new button in place...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Advancedmp3players are the authorised Cowon repairers in the UK.

I had my switch repaired by them for an approx. cost of 50.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM

I got an email today from cowon europe in germany that the can fix the power button on my S9 for about 25. Some hours later I got an email from them wich tells me that they dont repair cowon devices anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Default Broken power button; just remove and works fine anyway

Power button just broke this morning. Got out the mini screwdrivers & opened it up. One tiny flange (of four) is broken off, meaning that it cannot hold onto the actual power slider.

No matter. I took out the power button, and the actual slider sticks out enough to be able to operate. The button is really just for convienince.

Should get into that repair business, 20-50 to fix?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 AM

Question

I have similar problem but where will find service any more?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Sorry to hear that, everyone. The power switch on my S9 broke twice (read my post history if you're interested). As user sblumens described, the switch is controlled by a "claw" under the slider. What likely happened was that one of the prongs on your claws broke, so now the switch is either stuck in one position, or sliding about freely with no response from the device.

The unofficial solution to this is to open the device (remove the 4 circle-shaped things in the back corners to reveal the screws) and remove the slider completely. The internal switch will stick out and will probably be working.

Anyway, that was years ago. I've moved on (as I suspect most S9 users have) and have a Galaxy now. My Cowon S9 has a broken switch and screen and I'm probably never going to touch it again. It was a nice player at the time, but if anyone in this thread is going to consider getting their S9 repaired, my suggestion is to forget about it and just get another player.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Sorry to hear that, everyone. The power switch on my S9 broke twice (read my post history if you're interested). As user sblumens described, the switch is controlled by a "claw" under the slider. What likely happened was that one of the prongs on your claws broke, so now the switch is either stuck in one position, or sliding about freely with no response from the device.

The unofficial solution to this is to open the device (remove the 4 circle-shaped things in the back corners to reveal the screws) and remove the slider completely. The internal switch will stick out and will probably be working.

Anyway, that was years ago. I've moved on (as I suspect most S9 users have) and have a Galaxy now. My Cowon S9 has a broken switch and screen and I'm probably never going to touch it again. It was a nice player at the time, but if anyone in this thread is going to consider getting their S9 repaired, my suggestion is to forget about it and just get another player.
you have absolutely right...this era has come and passed unfortunately..
now most people have ipod or android phones for players...i am going to switch to galaxy s3 and my beloved S9 will take place to rest...

Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Redneck Moderator

Or you can contact me and I will take your old broken S9 off your hands and use it for spare parts.

I attempted to contact Cowon America the other day to get a screen repaired on a Cowon Q5 and I can no longer get through to them. From here on out I think we are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting them repaired.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesamgr View Post
you have absolutely right...this era has come and passed unfortunately..
now most people have ipod or android phones for players...i am going to switch to galaxy s3 and my beloved S9 will take place to rest...
Good choice. I've had my Galaxy for a few days now, and if you liked the S9, then I'm sure you'll like the Galaxy. When I got mine, the first thing I did was transfer different video formats onto it to see what it was compatible with. Lo and behold, it played every single one, including Youtube FLVs. No more converting!

The only downside is that it's MUCH bigger and heavier, but the screen is larger, and it has 2 cameras, so it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Or you can contact me and I will take your old broken S9 off your hands and use it for spare parts.

I attempted to contact Cowon America the other day to get a screen repaired on a Cowon Q5 and I can no longer get through to them. From here on out I think we are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting them repaired.
Makes sense. Cowon is old news now. I haven't kept track of their products since the J3, but after taking a quick look at iAudiophile.net, it looks like I haven't missed anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed all of their overseas branches sometime soon.

Actually, writing this post just reminded me of a thread I made on iAudiophile a while ago (link) (my username is Calculator on that forum). I think it's safe to say bye-bye to Cowon.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Good choice. I've had my Galaxy for a few days now, and if you liked the S9, then I'm sure you'll like the Galaxy. When I got mine, the first thing I did was transfer different video formats onto it to see what it was compatible with. Lo and behold, it played every single one, including Youtube FLVs. No more converting!

The only downside is that it's MUCH bigger and heavier, but the screen is larger, and it has 2 cameras, so it makes sense.

Makes sense. Cowon is old news now. I haven't kept track of their products since the J3, but after taking a quick look at iAudiophile.net, it looks like I haven't missed anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed all of their overseas branches sometime soon.

Actually, writing this post just reminded me of a thread I made on iAudiophile a while ago (link) (my username is Calculator on that forum). I think it's safe to say bye-bye to Cowon.
thank you for your opinion I will for sure going to get a S3 ..in fact I will have it tomorrow in my hands! as for S9 and Cowon it is sad but true...they are both rest in peace! android typhoon has made many disasters to many companies