android
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Default Another guy with a broken power button...

Sorry for reviving a dead forum (!!! wow!):

I've had a s9 for a really long time, probably bought it 2011. It's served me well.
A few minutes ago, the power button broke.
$%^@#(!
It's been awesome for so long, and I didn't drop it or anything. As others have said, the slider just freely moves side-to-side, and so the s9 won't turn on.
Others have said that the time for cowon is over... That might be true, but the s9 is a gem. I love the BBE and other effects it has. And flac support is delicious.... I really want to keep using it.

Is there an email I can request support from? Registering on the US support site seems to not work, since I still haven't gotten a verification email... Or should I just give up, and open the thing myself?

I just wanted to ask once before I do it....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Hallo! return from the deads! for the forum but S9 is still ON!

I had the same problem and I didn't find a solution
so my precious S9 is somewhere in a closet stop working anymore.

I wish you good luck ..please inform me if you find a solution

Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM

I know that JetAudio is still repairing things. I'm not sure about the S9, but I know a J3 was repaired recently. The cost may not be worth it though and no telling how much longer they will operate.

You can still use your S9 without a power button. Ghetto, but doable.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55239

Hope it helps.

If you're in the US...
http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-3...words=cowon+d3

I personally would have gone with this as a replacement as it's the closest and reasonably priced, but I'm not in the US and thus I settled with a non-Cowon product. (I really miss Cowon's battery life, but this new player is great in its own regards too). I have heard good things regarding the i10 and X7/X9 as well if you want to hang on to Cowon a bit longer.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM

back when i had my S9 bricked (when we were testing and getting TCCTOOL to work) i sent mine in and it only cost roughly $50 at most

Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM

I decided to email Cowon HQ in South Korea, since that was the only one I actually found an email to. Lo and behold, an english speaker actually responded. But, she wasn't much help. The basic instruction was "Send it in, pay the cost of everything, and we'll tell you how much the repair costs." Horrible service. Obviously trying to siphon money from me.
If it helps anyone, I've posted the whole email conversation here.
http://pastebin.com/kAYqrn5j

FURR, how long ago was that? And that was a price without considering shipping, right? I don't think the COWON US site exists anymore.

Well, since it seems like they want to rip me off, I guess the thread that fohfoh posted will have to do. DIY it is... I'll probably start this next week.

If that doesn't work..... Sansa clip+ looks great, but I'll miss the BBE+

Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi8765 View Post
I decided to email Cowon HQ in South Korea, since that was the only one I actually found an email to. Lo and behold, an english speaker actually responded. But, she wasn't much help. The basic instruction was "Send it in, pay the cost of everything, and we'll tell you how much the repair costs." Horrible service. Obviously trying to siphon money from me.
If it helps anyone, I've posted the whole email conversation here.
http://pastebin.com/kAYqrn5j

FURR, how long ago was that? And that was a price without considering shipping, right? I don't think the COWON US site exists anymore.

Well, since it seems like they want to rip me off, I guess the thread that fohfoh posted will have to do. DIY it is... I'll probably start this next week.

If that doesn't work..... Sansa clip+ looks great, but I'll miss the BBE+
This is what I did:
Go here: http://www.jetaudio.com/supportcentral/
Register, and submit a ticket. Someone from Jet Audio should contact you in a few days (they are rather slow, but they do a good job.) I had a J3 power button repaired within the last 2-3 weeks. I don't think they will send you parts. They had me send my J3 in, they quote a price that includes return shipping, and I paid it. In a week or so I had my repaired J3 back. It cost me $47 each time (I've had it done twice to two different J3s). I don't think that's unreasonable really. Hope that helps some.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
This is what I did:
Register, and submit a ticket. Someone from Jet Audio should contact you in a few days (they are rather slow, but they do a good job.) I had a J3 power button repaired within the last 2-3 weeks. I don't think they will send you parts. They had me send my J3 in, they quote a price that includes return shipping, and I paid it. In a week or so I had my repaired J3 back. It cost me $47 each time (I've had it done twice to two different J3s). I don't think that's unreasonable really. Hope that helps some.
same thing for me man. again only $50 and i think that was back in 2011 i think? could be wrong but never the less that's where i submitted my ticket as well

Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
This is what I did:
I've tried submitting a ticket, but obviously had to register. I registered, but I have to get a confirmation email from them until I can start using my account. This email never came.
Their live chat doesn't exist anymore either.

Well, the korean HQ responded to me.
Did they quote a price for both shipping directions for you?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 AM

yes they said it'd be $35 but i can't remember if i paid for the shipping to the place or not. i know i didn't have to pay from the place though if my memory is right. in the long run i guess it's worth it man.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi8765 View Post
I've tried submitting a ticket, but obviously had to register. I registered, but I have to get a confirmation email from them until I can start using my account. This email never came.
Their live chat doesn't exist anymore either.

Well, the korean HQ responded to me.
Did they quote a price for both shipping directions for you?
No, I paid for shipping to JetAudio, but the shipping home was built into the price I paid for repairs.
I don't really remember about the confirmation email, so I can't say anything about that. Did you check your spam folder? Sometimes JetAudio took as long as a week or more to reply to things. Like I said, they are definitely slow, but they have done good work for me.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURR View Post
yes they said it'd be $35 but i can't remember if i paid for the shipping to the place or not. i know i didn't have to pay from the place though if my memory is right. in the long run i guess it's worth it man.
Hm... if it costs more than $50, including shipping, then I don't think it's worth it. I can get a sansa clip for way cheaper. I think I'll attempt a DIY fix.

Quote:
No, I paid for shipping to JetAudio, but the shipping home was built into the price I paid for repairs.
Good to know.

Quote:
I don't really remember about the confirmation email, so I can't say anything about that. Did you check your spam folder?
Oh wow! Sure enough, the confirmation mail came immediately.... to my junk folder! Thanks for the tip.

I've sent in a support ticket now... I guess I'll put hope in cowon support for now.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 PM

Double posting, but hopefully no one really cares. I've decided to open it up.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=340952

Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM

Umm... You might want to consider realigning your pieces to get them to click together. For what to do so you don't have to dig in... consider asking around for a friend who has an old iPhone lying around (or maybe you have one) and take the sim card slot pokey thing to use to slide the switch? Not sure how you could keep it with the S9 though.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM

I prefer to pay for a repair...please give me a solution

Old 09-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Old thread I know, but my S9 suffered the same fate a couple of weeks ago.
I'll first mention that I've decided to replace my S9 with the new M2 which I just got today.

But a couple of weeks ago or so, my S9 power button failed as well. So while deciding what to do and whether to replace the player or not, I knew I needed to keep it working in the mean time, so here's the skinny.

I separated the case and what I found was the power switch is in two parts.
There's an outer piece that doesn't move, and there's an inner piece that slides back and forth inside the outer piece. I think that the outer piece is primarily a dust shield of sorts to keep dust out of the inside of the player.
The inner power switch plastic piece has teeny little ears inside, and the thin metal stem of the actual electrical switch itself is held between those tiny plastic ears. It's one or both of those ears that seem to be fragile and can break. At least that's what happened on my S9.
I made a feeble attempt to fix the broken ear by using JB Weld to hold it back on, but it failed after just a few times of use.

So I got frustrated with something that I didn't really believe could be repaired any longer since the S9 has been out of production so long, plus, I think I was needing a battery replacement anyway. Those are the reasons why I started looking and then ordered an M2 to replace the S9. But I digress...

Now that I knew that the M2 was going to be here in the near future, I went ahead and just twisted the entire plastic part of the power switch out of the unit. That left the little metal stem of the switch itself exposed, and I found that I could stuff my finger up there and turn it on, off, and on Hold.
Still, it was a pain, so here's the fun part.

I finally grabbed an Xacto knife and carved away the part of the case that still shrouded that little switch stem, both in front of and behind it.
From then on, I could easily catch the switch stem with my fingernail and operate the player like normal.
Sure, there's now a way for dust to get in. And sure, it's ugly. But I got I think around at least 6 to 8 GOOD years with that S9 with no problems other than one battery replacement a few years ago It's done good and earned a retirement and leaves me with nothing other than good to say about the S9 and the Cowon brand.
If the S9 or the J3 (the S9 successor) was still available, I would have bought a new replacement in a heartbeat. But they're both gone, so it's time to move on.

Now that the M2 is here, there will be a changing of the guard, and well there should be because that old soldier of an S9 is looking pretty battle worn and was worth every penny I paid for it all those many years ago.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.