android
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Help Extremely tiny dents on the edge of the glass?

Last night, I noticed some specks on the top edge (by edge, literally mean when two faces meet) of the glass, which didn't go away when I wiped them with a cloth. As you all know, the gap between the glass and the bevels is just slightly wider at the top than with the other three sides, so you could actually sort of see the edge of the glass there. Now, these specks are ONLY visible when you look reaaally closely, with the S9 rotated to a certain angle. At different angles, different specks are seen, but the locations of the specks seem to be the same (as in, with the same angle, you can see the same specks). Now, since I can't seem to wipe these specks off with a cloth, and the light seems to constantly reflect the same specks, could these be extremely small dents on the screen!? Could someone else try inspecting their S9 in a similar fashion under a bright light source? I've only had my S9 for ~2 weeks

By the way, sorry if some of the explanation is really confusing - it's sort of hard to explain

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Dunno, I've got a clear screen protector on my S9 but as far as I can see there aren't any 'dents' in the top edge of my screen, the milling marks from manufacturing are just visible on the top edge, but no dents.

Try taking a macro photo and post that, see if anyone else has the same marks on their screen, you should be able to get an informative pic in bright sunlight.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 PM

What are "milling marks"? The thing is, I'm not even sure if these specks are dents. That's sort of why I created this thread - to see if they truly are dents. I guess another way of looking at them is more of imperfections of the glass edge. You would expect a sharp, curved edge. But instead of being sharp across the entire edge, there are these specks along the way, which are only visible under light and certain angles. Although, if these specs really were dents, it wouldn't be the end of the world, I guess - that's how minuscule they are. Still, curiosity and feelings for my S9 get the better of me . As for a photo, my camera is broken at the moment, so I can't upload a pic.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I studied the edges of my S9's glass with a magnifying glass in bright light. No evidence of what you describe. Sounds like an edge that wasn't buffed or polished after cutting. I have no idea how the glass is cut though. If you're not happy, send it back.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Haha well I'm definitely not sending it back...it's way to much of a hassle for me Plus, like I said, the dents are EXTREMELY tiny (I'm not even sure they're dents), and I won't even see the top edge of the glass anymore once I get my silicone case. I made this thread mainly to find out if they even ARE dents, and if anyone else has similar findings. So Olley, if you move the light across the top edge of the glass, you see a smooth, curved, CONTIGUOUS line? The specks are reaaaally tiny, and only viewable under certain angles. Haha I can't believe you even used a magnifying glass - even I didn't go that far

So far it looks like I'm alone in this huh? I'm pretty sure these 'dents' came from wear n' tear...but what could've caused them? My S9 has been only inside the house...haven't even put it in my pocket yet! Very curious about this...

Last edited by gleipnir; 07-25-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Glass does not dent.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleipnir View Post
Haha well I'm definitely not sending it back...it's way to much of a hassle for me Plus, like I said, the dents are EXTREMELY tiny (I'm not even sure they're dents), and I won't even see the top edge of the glass anymore once I get my silicone case. I made this thread mainly to find out if they even ARE dents, and if anyone else has similar findings. So Olley, if you move the light across the top edge of the glass, you see a smooth, curved, CONTIGUOUS line? The specks are reaaaally tiny, and only viewable under certain angles. Haha I can't believe you even used a magnifying glass - even I didn't go that far

So far it looks like I'm alone in this huh? I'm pretty sure these 'dents' came from wear n' tear...but what could've caused them? My S9 has been only inside the house...haven't even put it in my pocket yet! Very curious about this...

No, you're not alone. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I have the same problem. I've had two S9's and the first one I had was much more noticable. It drove me crazy that I put a toothpick in there to try and straighten or polish the top end of the glass. ...but it made it worst. My second one is still noticable but I'm not gonna focus on it. I think dust, hair, and dirt gets under the screen from the bottom and top of the glass. I've noticed it when I took it outside in the bright sunshine. There were 3 pieces of hair and lots of dust, but I don't see it indoors.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 AM

a picture would be nice to view. but as for me i havent found the dent you were speaking of. But i do wonder if the edges the screen from bottom and top gets dust because theres space btw the cowon case and the glass

Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM

maybe not dents, maybe the correct word is "chips". definitely chips in the edge of the glass.