android
Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Is the S9 right for me?

I'm sure this forum gets a lot of these (I can see a few on the front page already) so I'll be brief.

I'm trying to find the mp3 player that is what I want. I have very few requirements, but I can't seem to find one that ISN'T as ludicrously expensive as the S9 that meets them.

1. Plays music.
2. Has a fairly long battery life (longer than the 4-5 hours my current one seems to last).
3. Allows you to browse all of your music easily in a variety of forms, ie by artist/song title/directory organization.
4. Doesn't require obnoxious proprietary software, or if it does it's very basic.
5. Making playlists is *very* easy, and possibly can be done on the player itself on the go.
6. Has a screen that won't break easily.

Basically, I listen to music in my car or at work. I don't really use earbuds or headphones ever, I have a tape deck converter thingy for my car and my job is as a martial arts instructor and I connect my mp3 player up to the stereo for workout music sometimes. I'm not super-concerned with video quality, though playing videos would be an amusing gimmick, and couldn't care less about most everything else. I need to be able to make a couple specific playlists for work (can't have Stephen Lynch's "Ugly Baby" coming up there...), but other than that I generally have the player on random shuffle of my entire library, which contains only about 5 or 6 albums, the rest of my 3000+ song library are random songs I've gotten piecemeal, and tagged as "unknown" on the album. I don't use any media player that has a media library, as I loathe them with a burning passion, and directly open songs I want from the folder they're in on my computer. I also have purged all the album tags off of my songs, just a waste of space to my mind.

I've owned a Creative Zen and a Sansa View, all 3 of which lasted less than 6 months before the screen broke, none of which I could really identify the moment it broke. The Zen was fine, the organization of music easy and software pretty effective at synching and making playlists. The biggest problem was the expansion card not being integrated, and the fact that the screen broke. The View was an all-around disappointment in every facet, I relied on the fact that both of the other Sansa players were rated as just plain awesome in all regards, and assumed they might be competant enough on the View. The biggest problem (aside from myriad bugs)? I had to scroll through all 2500 or so songs every time I wanted a song whose title started with a "Z."

I know the S9 is a little bit beyond what I need, but like I said: I can't find something else that can hold my almost 16 gigs of music and do the basic things I want. If this will do it though, and give me extra little feature thingies that I might find a use for, and actually last a couple years without breaking, I'll totally get it.

Last edited by Mr.Funsocks; 07-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Making playlists is the one thing the S9 by itself doesn't do very well. The latest firmware is trying to correct that, but they have a way to go yet.

You might look at the Samsung P3. It has native support for 4 user playlists you can make on the fly, and supports more you can upload from your PC.

The S9 will beat the P3 in battery life though.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM

playlist support is the only sketchy item on your list everything else it passes with flying colors. It has quick favorites lists that you can make but its a pain to go through 10 different artists and add 100 songs or so.

But once you make them they are fairly easy to load up and use
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Funsocks View Post
1. Plays music.
2. Has a fairly long battery life (longer than the 4-5 hours my current one seems to last).
3. Allows you to browse all of your music easily in a variety of forms, ie by artist/song title/directory organization.
4. Doesn't require obnoxious proprietary software, or if it does it's very basic.
5. Making playlists is *very* easy, and possibly can be done on the player itself on the go.
6. Has a screen that won't break easily.
1. err, yes it does and very well
2. Cowon values: 55 hrs. music, 11 hrs. video, real time depends on different factors: bitrate, volume, screen usage, eq settings, ... but it would definetly last much longer than 5 hrs.
3. all possible, browsing by folder, artist, genere, ...
4. it does not, files can be copied easily by drag & drop with windows explorer
5. as mentioned above, playlists could be created with different software, which would require the player to be set to MTP mode (which wouldn't be good if you like to drag & drop), BUT there is a UCI (user created interface) that allows you to use dynamic playlists which can be done on the player quite easy (well, they can only be done on the player)
6. as far as I know, the screen is quite resistant to obvious harms, like keys, knives, scissors, ..., but caould take damage, if you carry it around in your (dirty) pockets, means it could take scratches over time through lint, dust and sand if you don't use a screen protector; well the screen is quite strong, but if you would apply too much pressure on the back or directly on the screen itself it could be damaged, carrying it around in a pocket would be no problem, if you carry it in a pocket bulging with other things, the pressure on the right spot could brake it (worst case), letting it drop from height wouldn't be good as well, if it hits some stone, but in fact, which electronic device would "like" that kind of treatment...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 AM

The S9 seems to be your ideal player, other than the playlist issue. Given time, I'm sure Cowon will fix that and make it easier to operate, though. The Samsung P3, as previously mentioned, might be better simply due to the playlist convenience. It'll last a shorter amount of time between charges and not sound quite as good, however.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Yeah, I looked at the P3, basically the same price, the only substantive differences are 5 on the go playlists instead of one, and apparently more useless gadgets, and a vibration feature (dear god why?). The S9 has better video for the menus, the P3 is pretty choppy on some transitions, and the P3 doesn't come in a 32 gig, which I think I want. Barring finding out anything jarring or exceptional, I'll probably order it tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

New firmware just gave us mp3 gapless, so add that to the pluses.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newone View Post
5. as mentioned above, playlists could be created with different software, which would require the player to be set to MTP mode (which wouldn't be good if you like to drag & drop),
FW 2.31 supports externally made playlists on MSC.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Oh, one quick question, since I never have understood MSC/MTP modes, and my only experience with them is the pile of crap View. On the view, if you added it in one mode, it wasn't visible in the other, which was a problem because its ability to stay in one mode was terrible. So I could copy stuff over sometimes, turn on the player, and it wouldn't exist unless I switched modes. Is this just a quirk of the worst mp3 player ever, or is it generally true?