android
Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Default Exim screen protector S9 review

Hello,

First : english is not my maternal language (so please be comprehensive )

Second : they said, they shown some people cutting the S9 with a knife, razor blade, etc : no sign of scratch...

My reality : in my pockets, for 2 monthes, and there are scratches !!! (some said it's because of sand, which is harder than blades... great, but the point is Gorilla Glass is not so Gorilla).

I've decided to buy a screen protector from japan but it was a real trouble to put in place (nasty bubbles all over the place, i was unable to make my s9 dust free so... 15$ sent to the bin). I thought it was Gorilla glass so I've waited until one week ago when i saw some scratches. I've looked on Ebay and found this EXIM SCREEN PROTECTOR sold by pda-now.

They say : anti-scratch (fine), 99% clarity (great, i don't care about fingerprints) and washable (WOW so even if I can't put the protector i will wash it and put it back later) : 12.99$ free shipping. I swore to myself it was thelast dollars I will spend on a screen protector.

I've received it today :

I went to the bathroom (some said it is the place where there is less dust in a house), i've cleaned the S9 screen carefully (unlike the first time). I've then put the screen protector so easily, no sign of a single bubble !!! I see one spot with dust but... i decide to do nothing as there is no bubble and I don't want to test the "wash thing" or "you can put it on and off as you want" thing

On the next picture you will see the scratch and part of the screen protector (yes there are some millimeters without protection but it's quite unnoticeable when you see that far from the S9, and I must confess I put the screen protector quickly).

Verdict : a really great find (the final test will be : will the screen protector go off when several days in my pocket ? even if it doesn't seem so).

Clarity :same as without screen protector, S9' screen is beautiful as always.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 PM

i really dont know how some people are getting scratches on the S9s... i actually tried cutting my S9 with a knife and it didnt scratch. maybe sharp things dont cut it, but some other material does...

strange.
anyway, great find! it looks really nice. maybe i should buy one to get rid of finger prints :P

Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM

To get rid of fingerprints you should not buy this as it's "clear". I don't know the english word for "mat", like a lcd screen who reflects nothing.

When it's "mat" you lose the beautiful clear cowon screen but you have less fingerprints.

It's a tough choice

Why there is a scratch ? Remember those movies where they cut windows with diamonds ? Some crystals are tougher than steel, that' why a knife won't scratch the S9 but some dust, yes.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM

n3000: the word for "mat" is matte - just letting you know.

And yes, on the Mohs Hardness Scale, Quartzite (what most sand is made from) is harder than steel. Personally I keep mine clipped to my belt in a leather case, so I don't worry about it.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM

I'm buying this screen protector suggested by dfkt:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.221

Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Well... the downside I see is that it won't follow the S9 curves. Sure you can't beat that price : 1.95

Thanks Altear for the word matte, i've been lazy

Two days after buying the Exim screen protector I can say the screen don't go off, even if I put it in and out of my pockets without care.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM

Yes Exim protectors are very nice. Durable and thicker than other screen savers I'd had. Well worth it.

As for the finish, the version sold on ebay is the EXiM SPUC. They do make a matte version (SPUP) which isn't as shiny; but not sure if they make a version for the S9 or where you could get it.

Maybe the person who sells them on ebay would be able to get them.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Hey n3000, or Uroboros (or anyone who has experience with exim screen protectors), I was just wondering what's the texture on the SPUC protector like? Is it smooth and easy to glide your fingers over like the original glass? Or is it slightly more "rubbery" or "frictional"? Haha, sorry I can't find the right words right now...hope you guys understand what I mean...

Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 PM

Sorry the delay.

Well, the texture is exactly the same as without any screen protector. You can't even notice that there is a screen protector. The reactivity of the screen is the same.

Bad news is that... i've been able to scratch the screen protector (1 or two millimeters ), i'm not really surprised as i have been able to scratch the S9 Gorilla (baby gorilla) Glass. I don't know what i've got in my pocket that can do that, it's a mystery.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

One month later.

Really disappointed, my screen protector is full of scratches

What i wasn't thinking is that if i was able to scratch a gorilla glass screen it would be sure i would scratch some plastic protect screen... it's a question of days before i remove the protective screen, too bad...

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Because of the Exim screen protector is pretty thin, its easy to get scratch on it. I tried couples screen protector but afterward I decide leave the screen naked in my leather case. And a fiber cloth is perfect to keep the screen clean and sharp

Old 10-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Yeah I have decided to live with scratches

I hope cowon, next time, will manage to have a screen even better against scratches for guys like me

Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Ugh, I really should start using the leather case then, I guess. I thought the s9 has a scratch-proof screen....

Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM

I've had a go at my S9's screen with my pocket knife and nothing happened to it, so I'm not putting a screen protector on my S9. I do have a slipcase for it though.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3000 View Post
Yeah I have decided to live with scratches

I hope cowon, next time, will manage to have a screen even better against scratches for guys like me
Dude you gotta find out what scratched your screen.. lol. I don't want my S9 scratched