android
Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 AM

Default Should I add impedance to my Etymotic 4Ps?

I have a Cowon i7 driving some Etymotic ER-4Ps. I listen to FLACs of everything from classical to acoustic to heavy metal. I prefer a flat response with smooth treble, and I don't want any muddy bass boost (although I've been happy with measured use of the Mach3Bass in the Cowon).

I'm considering what I can do next to upgrade. My i7 generates some hiss, although it doesn't bother me too much. I often wish that the jump in volume between volume settings was smaller, or that I could listen quieter than "1". I can't explain exactly what improvement I'm looking for, but a quieter noise floor, greater dynamics, and more 3-dimensionality would all be great.

Would adding impedance to the Ety 4Ps help? I could either buy the OEM convertor, which I believe makes them like the ER-4S and about 100 ohms, or I could buy some custom convertors which could make them either more than or less than 100 ohms.

How much impedance should I add? Will the i7 still be able to drive them? Should I get an amp? I don't want to spend too much at first, so I was eying the PA2V2.

I could either add less impedance (but still add some) and use no external amp, I could upgrade completely to the ER-4S and 100 ohms (with or without an amp), or I could add even more impedance if I'm going to use an amp anyway.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you very much!

Last edited by piller; 07-18-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 AM

Default If you'd like to add some impedance to reduce hiss...

You could check out APureSound's Impedance Adaptors... They have Mini to Mini in 75 or 120 ohm or any custom ohm you'd like to order, but the 75 and 120 are always in stock.

Link ---> http://apuresound.com/ra.html

Higher Impedance DOES reduce hiss... if you find your bass a little leaner, you could use a bass weighted Headphone Amplifier, such as an iBasso T4 or a FiiO E5...

Best of luck in your search.

I also found more bass by removing those pesky green filters. YMMV.