android
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Default X Series display questions

Folks,

I've got an A729 -- previous-generation 16-gig player -- and I'm really quite happy with it. Wouldn't mind more capacity and bigger/better screen, so I'm interested in the X series 32-gigger. For the record, video / gapless / wifi / web browsing aren't important at all to me. The biggest thing beyond the sound quality is how you can set it to "march through your albums," rather than just stopping when it gets to the end of an album. I use this at the office, docked, AC powered full-time, and I just turn it on and let it keep on going. Works for me -- I'm working, not fiddling around with my dang MP3 player. Oh, and the signal goes through the dock to a good-quality Yamaha mini-stereo system, thus the use of the dock.

OK, so since my A729 is AC powered all of the time, I've got it set to "Screensaver = off" -- and thus the screen is "on" all the time. Exactly what I want -- I like to glance over every now and then to see what's playing.

But, I've downloaded the X series manual and gone through it -- and I don't see any way to keep the display turned on full-time. Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any "New Song Pop-Up" option, either. So, once the screen goes off, all you've got is a blank brick, unless and until you grab the thing and push a button or touch the screen, right?

That'd be a big bummer to me. Along with the wifi/web browser nonsense that I won't use and would rather not pay for, this is something that'll make me think an extra three or four times before dropping four hundred bucks on the thing.

So, can anyone confirm this for me? Is there really NOTHING you can do to set the thing to show ANYTHING -- and it just shuts the screen off and that's it, until you pound on the thing?

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM

Hi,think you can set it to carry on playing through all albums etc,mine carries on to diff albums etc.You could make a big playlist,multiple playlists etc(from PC only)anyway.
Bummer for you,can only see max screen off time of 5min's,you could just touch,touch screen thou to show info,it lights back up,that works.

Cheers BOB

Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibio View Post
Hi,think you can set it to carry on playing through all albums etc,mine carries on to diff albums etc.You could make a big playlist,multiple playlists etc(from PC only)anyway.
Bummer for you,can only see max screen off time of 5min's,you could just touch,touch screen thou to show info,it lights back up,that works.
Yep, it appears to work just like the A series in terms of moving along to the next album -- I'm gold on that. And that's the MOST important thing for me, along with sound quality.

But indeed, it looks like you've got to poke the thing if you want to see what's going on.

If not for the change in display options as compared to the A series, I'd probably have the 32-gig X series in my hands right now. But, since my A series does EXACTLY what I want right now, I guess I'll sit down and REALLY assess whether I really need the extra capacity or not, before I plunk down four hundred bucks on the thing....

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Yep, it appears to work just like the A series in terms of moving along to the next album -- I'm gold on that. And that's the MOST important thing for me, along with sound quality.

But indeed, it looks like you've got to poke the thing if you want to see what's going on.

If not for the change in display options as compared to the A series, I'd probably have the 32-gig X series in my hands right now. But, since my A series does EXACTLY what I want right now, I guess I'll sit down and REALLY assess whether I really need the extra capacity or not, before I plunk down four hundred bucks on the thing....

Thanks for the reply!
Wait till around Sept or so, as the price will drop in connection to the release of the new Zune HD, as well as the Touch 3G.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Wait till around Sept or so, as the price will drop in connection to the release of the new Zune HD, as well as the Touch 3G.
Actually, I bit on the 32-gigger tonight. I'll get over the pain in the wallet, and I'll make do with the dark screen most of the time....