android
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Thinking of buying the S9, a few questions first

I'm giving some serious thought into getting an S9 to replace my Creative ZVM (it still works pretty well, I've just had it a long time and want something new). I have a couple questions about the functionality of the player, since it's not available in stores here in the US for me to play with before buying.

1) How does the S9 handle podcasts? I see that it has dedicated software for downloading podcasts, but how are they displayed on the device itself? Do podcasts have their own section in the menu, or are they lumped in with the rest of the audio files? If it's the latter, does the S9 have a bookmarking feature? Some podcasts can be pretty long, and I might want to listen to some music between starting and finishing one.
2) With the track control buttons on the top, it seems like switching tracks from within your pocket would be nearly impossible. Is that true?
3) How are "The" artists organized? Would The Beatles be under B or T?
4) When you're listening to all your songs on shuffle, how is the playlist organized? For instance, on the ZVM, when I listen on shuffle oftentimes a song will come on, and I decide I want to listen to a different song from that album. On that device, I can double tap the touch pad to see the playlist, and all the songs are organized by album. I know some players do it alphabetically, which would make this impossible. How does the S9 handle this? Sorry if that's a little confusing. It's hard to explain and I'm probably the only one who cares about this.

Last edited by Dr. S; 07-13-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 PM

1. I haven't tried podcasts yet, so you'll have to wait for another member.
2. Not really, I always change tracks by squeezing the top part when it's inside my jeans. Never had a problem - as long as you enable "only lock the touchscreen" option in newer firmwares.
3. I think it would be listed under B. I don't have any artist with a name starting with "the", so I don't know.
4. I've never heard of such a thing, so I can't specifically say, but when you're listening on shuffle each song comes once and only once, and it seems to be random order every time. I realize it's not exactly what you're asking for, but its as close as I can come to understanding your question.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM

Just buy it, there is nothing on the market that sounds this good.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 AM

#2 - Over a month of usage & I don't have any problems using buttons to control volume or skip tracks. In the end I think it varies from person to person, some have said they've problems.

#3 - "The" artists are under T. Similarly "The" albums will be under T as well

#4 - Don't know about playlists created by a media player over MTP but I use the playlists supported by Claw's UI & there you can set up how you wanna organise your songs. I organise by album, so yeah if one song is playing then the next listing under the song will be of that same album only (unless ofcourse its the last song). But on shuffle, the random play is good.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
#4 - Don't know about playlists created by a media player over MTP but I use the playlists supported by Claw's UI & there you can set up how you wanna organise your songs. I organise by album, so yeah if one song is playing then the next listing under the song will be of that same album only (unless ofcourse its the last song). But on shuffle, the random play is good.
+1 on that. The first thing you want to do after you get it is to upgrade the firmware to the newest. I went with the beta of the newest and have had no troubles at all.
But the very next thing after that is to install the Claw UI. You won't even know it's installed until you start accessing it's many available settings, and it gives you much more control over your S9 than the standard Cowon firmware does.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you edit the iD3 Album name tag to say Beatles instead of "The Beatles", the cowon will then list them under B.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM

Re # 2
I put my s9 upside down in my right pocket. I simply slide the hold button with my thumb and then change the track/volume/play/pause with my index finger. All this is while the s9 is in my pocket.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigank.pawar View Post
Re # 2
I put my s9 upside down in my right pocket. I simply slide the hold button with my thumb and then change the track/volume/play/pause with my index finger. All this is while the s9 is in my pocket.
why dont you just change the setting so that only the touchscreen is on hold? then you can freely use the hardware buttons without having to unslide and slide back.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Is there no one here who uses podcasts who can answer my first question?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. S View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Is there no one here who uses podcasts who can answer my first question?
This thread should answer your question, same as it did for me: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=43243