android
Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Does the S9 play nice with Winamp?

Hi, I just registered here because I think I'm going to order the Cowon S9 16GB from Amazon. (I already have a 2GB Sansa Clip and love it, but I want an upgrade now.)

I have my music library in Winamp, MP3 and WMA, neatly tagged, with album art etc. and a bunch of playlists. So my question is does anybody know how well Winamp and the S9 get along together?

What I'm looking for specifically is for the playcount to be updated in Winamp when I sync with the player (updating to the higher/more recent count), and that my playlists created in Winamp will work on the S9. I also hope the album art will show up on OK the S9, but that's a minor concern.

So if someone experienced with this combination can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Winamp's Extended M3U playlists will work on the S9.

However, play counts will not be updated. I'm not sure about album art that Winamp put on the songs, but it will probably work.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Thank you. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the S9 did have playcount support. It sure seems like a nice player either way.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM

I have found that my winamp crashes quite a lot when the s9 is connected and attempting to sync via MTP. They have released an update last week, not sure if it addresses it as i haven't got any new music to transfer.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Well, I bought the Cowon D2+ instead and I too experienced Winamp crashes when connecting the player in MTP mode. Turns out the problem was not with Winamp, but with the MTP drivers that come with Windows Media Player 11. Rolling back WMP to version 10 fixed it. The Cowon is now best friends with Winamp :-)

I sync my entire library to the Cowon with no problems, only had to fix a few special characters in the tags. Album art and playlists also transfer perfectly. The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to import the playcounts from the player into Winamp. I'm beginning to think it's not possible. The Cowon does keep track of playcount, but transferring them seems to be a one-way street from Winamp to the player. Maybe there is a plugin out there but I haven't found it yet...