android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Ordered mine today! Just a couple of quick questions

After much research and deliberation, I got mine ordered today to replace my trusty old Zen Vision M. The screen went wonky on it and although text can still be read and it plays music fine, it's useless for videos. Nice excuse to get a new toy!

So I've got the 2.31b firmware and the 3.30v of Claw's UI pack downloaded and ready to go. Just a couple of questions on how to go about getting these installed:

1. What order should I put the firmware and Claw's UI onto the device in? 2. Should I put my music on first or after I've done the firmware and UI?

There'll no doubt be more when I get my hands on the S9, but that'll do for now.

I hope it's as good as you guys say it is, I can't wait until it arrives! Nice site by the way. Very useful in helping me make my decision.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM

1. do the firmware first
2. doesnt matter
enjoy!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Nice. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, do the firmware update first. Then I'd say do what you feel, as it really makes no difference if you put your tunes or the UCI on first.

The most important thing to do is enjoy yourself, and welcome to ABI>>>!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yup, do the firmware update first. Then I'd say do what you feel, as it really makes no difference if you put your tunes or the UCI on first.

The most important thing to do is enjoy yourself, and welcome to ABI>>>!!!
Thanks. As I mentioned in my initial post, this site played a big part in my decision to get an S9. Friendly and lots of knowledge and plenty to read up on regarding the S9. The screen on my ZVM has been knackered for a while but I held of getting anything and waited for the Sony Walkman NWZX1060B X Series 32GB to come out. But I wasn't impressed at all, too many negatives. Good job with hindsight! So the search started again and I found the S9 which has got everything I want. I think I'd been blinkered towards the X Series which is why I hadn't considered it previously. I've not owned a Cowon before but they seem to have a decent reputation, what with old 'Golden Ears' and all.

Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow or early next week.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Hey guys, my S9 arrived today together with Cowon's own case and some black Sennheiser CX500s. I've got a white pair for my old ZVM, but I couldn't use them with my black S9 could I? It just wouldn't look right! What a sexy little thing the S9 is and I've not even used it yet! In some reviews there's some question marks over the build quality but it feels and looks fine to me. It also fits really nicely into the well designed case.

Anyway, I've got one quick question whilst it's charging just now: It's charging via the mains with Lupo mains adaptor connected to the USB cable. When I plug it in the battery charging icon appears but after several minutes it disappears so how do I know when the battery is fully charged?

When I took the S9 out of the box and switched it on, the power bar was almost full so I'm thinking that possibly the battery charging icon has gone off because it's fully charged? This is what happens when my ZVM is fully charged. Thanks guys.

Last edited by thebiggfella; 07-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just slide the power switch quickly over and release it, it'll turn the screen on so you can see the charging status.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks for that. It's still charging. Lots of little tricks to learn and I've not even updated the firmware or installed Claw's UI yet!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 PM

I got the latest firmware on and Claw's UI. All good. However, I've got a few more questions:

1. How can I just play songs randomly from one artist only or one gendre or just play random songs from the whole music folder?

2. I put three videos onto the player and only one, an avi, shows up. The other two, both mpg, don't. I thought it would play mpgs or am I missing something here? when I connect the S9 to the pc, all three are visible and the mpgs play fine from there.

3. Only some had album art show on the player. I loaded the music with WMP11. My Zen Vision M shows all the album art when I put music on this way. Am I doing something wrong or does the S9 'not like' WMP?

I'm finding this much harder than the ZVM to get my head around. Thanks.

Last edited by thebiggfella; 07-13-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Just slide the power switch quickly over and release it, it'll turn the screen on so you can see the charging status.
You should also be able to tap the screen to bring it back on.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Yep...

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggfella View Post
I got the latest firmware on and Claw's UI. All good. However, I've got a few more questions:

1. How can I just play songs randomly from one artist only or one gendre or just play random songs from the whole music folder?
On the default music theme, there is an option to change the location of the playback - just one song, the folder, or all. You can choose from those. You can also manually browse to the location through the file browser, an set it so that it only plays the certain folder (using the same process above) to limit it to that folder only.

Quote:
2. I put three videos onto the player and only one, an avi, shows up. The other two, both mpg, don't. I thought it would play mpgs or am I missing something here? when I connect the S9 to the pc, all three are visible and the mpgs play fine from there.
I was gonna say it should play MPEG, but then I realized every single downloaded video of mine is in AVI format, so I'm not so sure about it.

Quote:
3. Only some had album art show on the player. I loaded the music with WMP11. My Zen Vision M shows all the album art when I put music on this way. Am I doing something wrong or does the S9 'not like' WMP?
I have the same problem. For example I have Dead and Gone by T.I., and it has a funny cover that I want to get rid of. I changed it so many times through WMP but it never sticks and on my S9 it keeps showing the funny cover. I just basically learned and adapted, and realized that I wouldn't be staring at album covers anyway, so I just forgot about it.

The thing is, recently I started to speculat that when there's a JPEG in a folder where the music is located, it uses that for the album art. Proof comes from a bunch of my music collection that I've put in as the entire folder with a JPEG in each of them. They all have album art. But songs that are by themselves in the Music folder (i.e. not having another folder under Music) don't have album art.

Last edited by eddieroolz; 07-14-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For music management and album art use either J.River Media Jukebox, or Media Monkey (not sure about WinAmp - might work too). I use the former, and all my art shows. Most have issues w/WMP and displaying album covers on other players as well, it sux.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

WMP uses folder.jpg (or albumart_small / albumart_large?) files to view album art. They're hidden files in windows, but you can go into Folder Options and change that to display them. I just rename folder.jpg to cover.jpg or embed the album art.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Yep...
Yeah interesting you guys should mention this...when my cowon came out of the package, it was able to do this...however, after 1 or 2 days, my S9 lost the ability to do that, and now I have to resort the the power switch.

My guess is that it could either be:
a) upgrading to firmware 3.30 (probably not)
b) some kind of issue with Claw's UI (who knows, maybe one of the settings SOMEHOW interferes?)
c) faulty USB cable/connection (I hope not!)

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

EDIT: it appears to be an on & off problem (as in, not consistent)...sometimes it works, sometimes I have to use the power switch. weird.

Last edited by gleipnir; 07-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltar View Post
WMP uses folder.jpg (or albumart_small / albumart_large?) files to view album art. They're hidden files in windows, but you can go into Folder Options and change that to display them. I just rename folder.jpg to cover.jpg or embed the album art.
Hi Aeltar, thanks for the reply. Are you doing the above in Windows Explorer? Along the lines of:

Music > Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files and Folders

I've checked 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' but there's no hidden files showing anywhere. Can you give a bit more detail on how you do what you mention above. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
For music management and album art use either J.River Media Jukebox, or Media Monkey (not sure about WinAmp - might work too). I use the former, and all my art shows. Most have issues w/WMP and displaying album covers on other players as well, it sux.
I did have issues with album art when using WMP10 with my Zen Vision M but when I went to WMP11 I had no problems at all with the ZVM. I just find it strange that the S9 doesn't display all the art when WMP11 is used whereas the ZVM does.

I also like WMP11 as a music management tool. I had a look a MM a while ago but wasn't too keen. Does anyone use the JetAudio media player for this kind of thing? What's it like with album art?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 AM

I just ordered mine last night to replace my Sony Series X 16 gb. The nice thing is the S9 32 gb is $30 cheaper than the 16 gb Sony

Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Jet Audio media management software look like it's from Windows 98. It's great to play back audio & video files on the comp, but totally useless for anything else. Try J.River, very user friendly.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Jet Audio media management software look like it's from Windows 98. It's great to play back audio & video files on the comp, but totally useless for anything else. Try J.River, very user friendly.
Yeah, I imported the music from my computer into JetAudio and it's just listed them under 'Unknown Artist' though in the right hand pane under album artist, it lists the artist!

A couple of good things though about JA: I was messing around with videos last night trying to find which converter make the vids look the best on the S9 and the JA converter with the O2/S9 settings and video at 384 kbs and audio at 128 does a really good job with both 16:9 and 4:3. Small files as well. An hour TV show with the ads edited out takes up = 174 mb and they still look and sound great.

Second thing: If you want album art and you find some is missing, you can connect the player up and manually add it to all the tracks in the album. I tried this with WMP11 and you don't get the option to do this when the player is connected. Even though the advanced tag editor when the player's not connected, when you add a pic then apply it and go back in, the pic is not there.