android
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default I am fed up with this album art issue.

SOme album art doesn't show up on my sony x series walkman. I don't understand why. I've tried tagging to no avail. I have a mac osx so I can't use media monkey or mp3tag. The album art shows up just fine on the desktop in the walkman, but when I try to access it on the walkman it's not there. What should I do? Our there any free osx tag editors out there?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudo81 View Post
SOme album art doesn't show up on my sony x series walkman. I don't understand why. I've tried tagging to no avail. I have a mac osx so I can't use media monkey or mp3tag. The album art shows up just fine on the desktop in the walkman, but when I try to access it on the walkman it's not there. What should I do? Our there any free osx tag editors out there?
At leas two things can be affecting this.

First of all, the art has to be put into the tags, and not just as a folder.jpg in the folders with music.

Secondly, you need to make sure each and every file you use as album art is jpeg baseline and not progressive or anything else.

Use google to find mac tagging app.

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website

Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM

My solution to embed cover art image files in mp3 is eyeD3, a great command line Python tool. The basic operation is not complicated at all:
Code:
 eyeD3 --add-image="your_jpeg_cover_image_file":FRONT_COVER "your_mp3_file"
Of course you may need to script the entire process, but it is a worthy effort. I will not give you a loop syntax here as I don't know your file organization. By the way I can assure you that a workflow using simple tools is flawless.
But if you are allergic to commands, try to do it with a media manager like Sony MediaGo or Songbird instead of a tagging software.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Already asked :http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=51639

Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudo81 View Post
Well, you could borrow a PC from someone to do the tagging. I have never had a problem...Remember to embed the the .jpg file in the mp3 file as a tag.

Last edited by hpilot; 02-17-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Use MP3Tag. Best program to do tagging and embed album arts.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM

use itunes

is a pain in the ass, but with that ALL my album art show in all my devices, walkman, cellphone, ps3..

just right click in a song, get info and artwork

Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM

I had a cover art that would not show up in my walkman.
So I extracted the .jpg, opened it with photoshop and I had a pop up saying "wrong ICC profile". I 'saved as' the jpg and retagged it : now everything is ok.

ps :Can someone tell me what resolution provides Itunes?

Last edited by dikiz; 02-18-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: ps

Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
At leas two things can be affecting this.

First of all, the art has to be put into the tags, and not just as a folder.jpg in the folders with music.

Secondly, you need to make sure each and every file you use as album art is jpeg baseline and not progressive or anything else.

Use google to find mac tagging app.
In addition to the above, I've also found that on my player (an NWZ-A818) the album art must be no larger than 240 pixels by 240 pixels to display reliably.
iTunes, MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-20-2010, 11:45 AM

There's so size restriction on the X.
I made some tests and I found out that I can't tell the difference above 250x250, so I use that resolution

Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikiz View Post
I made some tests and I found out that I can't tell the difference above 250x250, so I use that resolution
The difference will be that pictures with higher resolution will weigh more and will take an x-th of a second longer to load when a song starts playing.

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website

Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

500 x 500 shows up on the X fine.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Yes that's why I stick to 250px. With higher resolution I could not notice a longer loading time between track, but it was definitely making the sliding function slower and buggy

Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
That may be true on the 'X, but I use my mp3s on many other devices with high resolution screens, and 250x250 looks like crap. 500x500 is what I shoot for...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 AM

I think X1000's displaying album art size is 200 x 200. But you can set it up to as big as you want, though it would probably slow down your player.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
I think X1000's displaying album art size is 200 x 200. But you can set it up to as big as you want, though it would probably slow down your player.
I was able to tell the difference between 200px and 250px in a blind test (runned by my gf...). I could not tell above 250px. This is not scientific at all, but my 2cts.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I was able to tell the difference between 200px and 250px in a blind test (runned by my gf...). I could not tell above 250px. This is not scientific at all, but my 2cts.
Yup, it would be worthless putting an album art bigger than 200 x 200 because X album art portion is only big as 200 x 200.

But if you were to use them for other purposes as well (perhap another mp3 player that supports bigger album art or for computer media player)..

Mine is all 272 x 272 because I had Samsung P2 before and I don't feel like changing. It displays big and nicely on my Winamp so I didn't want to shrink them to 200 x 200.

But it does take less than 1 seconds to display small album arts and few seconds to display cover flow.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM

This is an old thread, but so far can't find a newer one on this subject:

I was having this problem for a couple of days, and now seem to have it mainly beaten.

I have a Walkman NWZ-A865, and although I'm not always a fan of the provided software for devices (I don't use it for my Canon digital cam or my Sony eReader) I am so far finding that Sony Media Go seems quite good for managing my albums for the Walkman. I tried copying albums directly using Windows Explorer, but ran into problems with a variety of issues.

In Media Go, I have found that if I scale the album cover so that the largest dimension is 300px, a cover which would not appear on the Walkman starts to appear just fine. In terms of adding the cover to the MP3, I use Media Go and simply right click on the track title > Properties > Artwork tab... then 'Remove' any existing cover which would not appear on the Walkman, and 'Add' the new one at 300px maximum.

So far I've been doing that individually for every track in an album - maybe someone knows if there's a shorter way of doing this for a whole album?

EDIT: Okay, worked that out now: following the above procedure, actually remove any album cover from the Artwork tab of each individual track; and then back out to the main Library page, and then right-click and go to Properties for the whole album; add the 300px (or less) artwork to the album right there, and it will appear for each track. (But if any track has its own artwork set, it will take precedence and will appear instead of the album cover, unless it is larger than 300px).

Last edited by ishel; 03-23-2012 at 09:17 AM.