android
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Do I Need an Amp? If so What one?

I have an iPod video with UE triple.fi 10 pros for the majority of use but for school I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200's and a pair of Sony Active Style's for working out.

My Question is should I get an amp for use with the UE's? I know that there are amps designed for IEM's e.g RSA Tomahawk. I've heard that IEM's need them, I've also heard they don't. So if I should get one I've been looking at a few:

RSA Tomahawk
ibasso T4
JDS Labs cMoy BB V2.02 (altoids tin)

Thoughts?

Last edited by matt9282; 07-08-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM

I've noticed a significant improvement in bass quality and quantity using various amps (Fiio E5, iBasso T2, Headroom Total Airhead, PA2V2, JDS Las CMoyBB, DIY/joshatdot CMoys) with my Altec Lansing UHP336 (rebadged Super.Fi3)

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM

Ok, thanks. What would you recommend for the UE's because they already have decent bass on their own. I would be lookng to spend around $100-$150 but I could do $200 (sorry don't know how much some of those amps are).

I forgot to mention that I don't want it to be too big.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Well, the Fiio E5 can be found for less than $20 shipped, the iBasso T2 is a discontinued model but I believe the replacement (iBasso T4) is $109, the Headroom Total Airhead runs about $109, PA2V2 is about $60, JDS Labs CMoyBB runs about $65, and the DIY/joshatdot CMoys can be built for about $25 each if you use decent parts, a little cheaper if you opt for the off-brand resistors, capacitors, and/or a cheaper opamp.

Have you considered building a cmoy? They're pretty cheap to build if you use standard Radio Shack parts, and if well built, can sound pretty good. It's a good way to "get your feet wet" without tying up a bunch of money in something you may or may not want/need.

All portable amps have their pros and cons, so I'd suggest checking them out in person if possible. If you're in the Atlanta area, I'm more than willing to let you try out any or all of my amps to see if they help.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Ok thanks for the info. And I have not considered building a cmoy (not a soldering person), I'd rather buy one already built despite it costing more.

As for checking them out in person I've yet to come across a store in my area that has any of those amps. I appreciate your offer to try out your own but I'm in the Toronto area.

Well I'll see if can find a place that sells them up here so I can try them out, if not I guess I'll be buying blind.

Another amp that I've read about that it supposedly can't be beat for the price is the Mini3, what do you know about it? And if would be good for the Triple.fi's?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 PM

The Mini3 does seem to be an impressive amp and has quite a loyal following. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to one yet, but I'll probably build one in the near future. The DIY kit is available for less than $100 and it appears to be a fairly simple weekend project.

My headphone amp experience is fairly limited, so I'm probably not going to be able to help you very much. I believe you'll probably find the answers to your questions on head-fi.org, as that site is more headphone and amp oriented than this site.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Well thanks a lot for your help, I'll try over there.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Default I have the iBasso T4 and its a real real classy amp!

It sounds great and is at a very nice pricepoint for it's SQ... after 100 or so hours burn in it gets real smooth and airy with good bass extension. I love the clarity of it's 4-channel architecture much more than my FiiO E5.