android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Old 07-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Default S9 waste of money if I'm getting Zune HD?

I'm in need of an on the go/extra player. I already know I'm getting a 32gb Zune HD in Sept as my 'main' player,barring any major,major problems with the unit. I already have the Sansa clip 8gb but since I use the player on my route (delivery driver) the extremely small screen makes it less than convenient to switch tracks and navigate artists quickly.

I'm wondering if I 'upgrade' my clip to the S9 will I be wasting money if I plan on getting the Zune in Sept. The Cowon doesnt have the things I want that the Zune will (games,wifi,marketplace) so its not going to compete with the Zune in that respect.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 PM

I don't understand why you want a Cowon then. I would say yes...it might be a waste of $. But hey that's just my opinion....

Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM

I wouldn't describe the S9 as something you could easily use while driving. Some people who've had theirs longer might disagree with me.

If you're swimming in money though, sure.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 AM

U think Zune HD-32gb will be less xpensive than the s9? Then, go for the Zune HD. I don't think Zune HD's launch price will be cheaper than s9's launch price.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 AM

Its just a couple of months more to go, so yeah it will be a waste of money if you plan to get ZuneHD. I'd say what JonathanC said, if you're swimming in $$$ then sure go ahead & buy S9 or any other player to see you through 2 months before you get ZuneHD!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Other than the WiFi you'll find on the ZuneHD, the two players are nearly identical. Same 3.3" OLED screen. Same overall dimensions (HD a bit thinner). The S9 to me is my most comfortable player to hold and pocket. There is more to the "curve" than just looks. The HD isn't out yet, but I'll assume it'll do gapless playback. I don't know what media formats it will support, but I doubt they'll be as varied as the what the S9 does. The S9 will probably cost you $60 to $100 under the same memory in a ZuneHD, and if it's an $160 8gb model to replace your clip I know you'll have regrets when that 32gb ZuneHD comes in at $359 or so.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM

when I buy something as expensive as an S9, it's because I plan to use it for at least a couple years.

just sayin'

Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM

um in that case dont by the s9. but personally from my research the cowon s9 is better then the zune hd thats comming out. gaming wise the cowon s9 plays ever web flash game out there. nothing competes that. and it destroys it in ever side of video and audio media out there supports way more and sounds better. the only advantage of the zune hd is it supports hd radio over normal radio on the cowon s9. but hey get what you want. wifi you will see is very useless on these products as most sites will open slow and look pretty bad and hard to use. probably wont play flash sites. and after the first few weeks it will be useless to you compared to actually listening to good high quality music and video. and marketplace has been a failure since its launch on microsofts site. there is nothing on there. no games no music no nothing. for pc world its dead. and its dead for everything else too. but get what you want. maybe IM and email will be cool but i doubt that helpful. unless you have a really slow laptop it will be just as hard to get email on that compared to using a laptop. not worth sacraficing its main purpose of audio and video quality, and loosing all the games you can play on the cowon which the zune has very few. trust me the zunes audio quality has been very sad and probably wont improve.

Last edited by julabask; 07-05-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM

also i am curious what delivery route allows you to legally listen to headphones while driving. i know in the us that is very ilegal. but hey i guess you can play it through your cd player but then nothing matters get the cheapest thing out there because the advantages of these dont matter when your cd play is basically producing the sound and all the controls and features. in that case all this is a hard drive. i would think its quiet dangerous to have head phones on though and unresponsible

Last edited by julabask; 07-05-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Other than the WiFi you'll find on the ZuneHD, the two players are nearly identical. Same 3.3" OLED screen.
Err.. no, the ZuneHD will have an OLED screen (aka PMOLED) which is a bit older technology & a bit inferior to the AMOLED that S9 & iRiver's players have. But I don't think it will matter much. Other than that, ZuneHD will benefit from a Nvidia Tegra processor & hence gaming could become quite big on it what with Microsoft's name many devs flocking to the platform for making games to sell in Zune Marketplace. But on music/video format support I think ZuneHD will support the ones which are currently supported by Zune, as per the speculations I've read, so the only lossless format for audio it might support will be WMA Lossless. It might support HD video as it definitely will have the capacity to render it.

Still, not much out on ZuneHD yet but I think it will be in a different league than S9.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd suggest waiting, since there's a slight possibility that the OP will have buyers remorse if they get the S9. It's 2 months from today, hold off for a bit longer if you can, the ZHD still might just surprise us all.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julabask View Post
um in that case dont by the s9. but personally from my research the cowon s9 is better then the zune hd thats comming out. gaming wise the cowon s9 plays ever web flash game out there. nothing competes that. and it destroys it in ever side of video and audio media out there supports way more and sounds better. the only advantage of the zune hd is it supports hd radio over normal radio on the cowon s9. but hey get what you want. wifi you will see is very useless on these products as most sites will open slow and look pretty bad and hard to use. probably wont play flash sites. and after the first few weeks it will be useless to you compared to actually listening to good high quality music and video. and marketplace has been a failure since its launch on microsofts site. there is nothing on there. no games no music no nothing. for pc world its dead. and its dead for everything else too. but get what you want. maybe IM and email will be cool but i doubt that helpful. unless you have a really slow laptop it will be just as hard to get email on that compared to using a laptop. not worth sacraficing its main purpose of audio and video quality, and loosing all the games you can play on the cowon which the zune has very few. trust me the zunes audio quality has been very sad and probably wont improve.
^^ agree, HD radio doesn't add much to normal radio IMO, OFC music/video quality is better on S9, and since just about all games on the web are flash games you can play them all, instantly making the S9 the player with the biggest game support out there. I don't think there will be much benefit of the Zune's dedicated graphics processor.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodine1231 View Post
I'm wondering if I 'upgrade' my clip to the S9 will I be wasting money if I plan on getting the Zune in Sept. The Cowon doesnt have the things I want that the Zune will (games,wifi,marketplace) so its not going to compete with the Zune in that respect.
While I myself am totally happy with my S9 (having upgraded from an X5L), it is clear that what you want is better served by the Zune.

As time has passed, all of the players expand their capabilities into doing more things than just playing music, and the extra things you want means you will be happier with the Zune.
So no, don't waste your money of the S9.
What the X9 does best is music (the best of them, as far as I'm concerned), and then really good video as well. Those those things, the S9 has no equal as far as I'm concerned.

In the near future, I'd also like to have a wifi device with Internet access, but also with more fully functional software as well.
So while my S9 is firmly entrenced as my "go to" music player and for taking some movies with for those long plane flights, I'm waiting for what I "hope" to be my ultimate wifi, Internet, application device; the Archos 9.

I think a lot of people lately are looking for a "swiss army knife" of media devices, but I've found that the more something can do, the less it does of any one thing very well.
So for the very best music player, I'll stay with the S9. For other stuff, I'll look elsewhere.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM

@aki: WELL, i agree with you about the games but then the thing is not ALL flash games work. they do, but it's really slow and icons might be unpressable if you resize it. as for the zune HD, they'll probably have big games that run smoothly. anyway, the S9 does have unlimited games. :P

Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM

I definatelly agree the S9 isnt very good with games.

but I'll also say that many people, probably most here) buy the S9 because they want their media player to be the best at music and video. And not just "alright" at everything (games, wifi, etc).

Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 AM

For one, if you're worried about pure audio quality, you'd be missing the s9. Who knows if the Zune HD will even have good sound quality let alone an equalizer. They're very similar devices except the s9 doesn't have wifi, and features because of that. The S9 is a pure PMP where as the Zune HD tries to be an iPod touch, and isn't good at one particular thing, it'll probably be decent in everything it does. Codec support on the Zune probably won't be nearly as good as the S9, not to mention you have to use Zune software to transfer media over.

You'd be missing other stuff like UCI customization, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodine1231 View Post
I'm in need of an on the go/extra player. I already know I'm getting a 32gb Zune HD in Sept as my 'main' player,barring any major,major problems with the unit. I already have the Sansa clip 8gb but since I use the player on my route (delivery driver) the extremely small screen makes it less than convenient to switch tracks and navigate artists quickly.

I would say so, the Zune HD and the S9 are pretty similar, except for the interface and format support. I already own a Zune 120 and an S9 for a flash player, So I'm probably passing on the HD. But if I were to buy the HD I'd probably sell the S9.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I would say so, the Zune HD and the S9 are pretty similar, except for the interface and format support. I already own a Zune 120 and an S9 for a flash player, So I'm probably passing on the HD. But if I were to buy the HD I'd probably sell the S9.
I have both as well, and the SQ on the Zune 120 is NOWHERE near the S9, same as the video playback and screen quality. The only advantages the Z120 has is larger capacity, podcast support, and subscription music service support. The games are few, and really limited, the wifi, the same.

Really, I love my Zune 120's, but the S9 is a whole 'nother animal. I hope the Zune HD can come CLOSE to the S9, but I'd sell the Z120 before the ZHD, not the other way around. Throw those games on there, and the Z120 is out the door!!! Well, I'll still use it for hooking up to the TV for a video player, as I do now.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Err.. no, the ZuneHD will have an OLED screen (aka PMOLED) which is a bit older technology & a bit inferior to the AMOLED that S9 & iRiver's players have.
You are right when comparing older OLED to AMOLED, but OLED has come a long way and really you cant tell the difference between say the Walkman X-1000s OLED screen compared to the S9 AMOLED. Her is what i wrote in the Sony X Series review:

Quote:
OLED technology has come a long way, early tech had color inaccuracies and refresh issues but the screen found on the X-1000 is modern and refined screen. Colors look accurate and blacks are nice and near absolute black. The refresh rate appears to be just as fast as an AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED) like the one found on the Cowon S9. In fact if no one had told me it’s an OLED screen I would have guess it to be an AMOLED. Between the X-1000 and the Cowon S9 you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference- though when compared to the LCD on the Samsung P3, the P3 slips a little behind lacking the deep blacks even though the refresh rate seems to keep up.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM

Absolutely. I would say buying anything you don't absolutely need just a few months before you plan on replacing it would be a waste of money. I would have suggested a sansa clip, but evidently that's not what you want. I know this is unimportant to the conversation, but I don't think you should be staring at your PMP screen while driving anyways (even if you are at a stoplight, I still consider it driving... so many stupid things happen at stoplights due to clueless cellphone texters).

In the context of the games conversation, I'm sure the zune will win. I believe that the S9 only supports up to AS2, and developers are just starting to move towards AS3 game programming (much more object-oriented, also supports 3D graphics). With previous versions of the Zune, you were able to very easily able to program games with Microsoft's XNA Game framework and your Visual Studio language of choice (I like C#), so I suspect development for the Zune HD will be just as easy.

Also, the Tegra processor isn't only a graphics chip. It's supposed to be a highly optimized multi-core setup, which will supposedly give the Zune HD great processing efficiency and consequently great battery life.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S9, but I gotta say the Zune looks like a good product. I don't plan on buying it in the next two years (for $170, I'm keeping my S9 for at least 2 years), but my roommate next semester is likely to be an early adopter of the Zune HD, so I should have a chance to see them side-by-side.

@The Darkside: I believe if you put the S9 into MTP mode, you can have subscription support. And if for some reason someone chooses to use the jetaudio media manager, you can get podcast support.