android
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 AM

After unsatisfied work of MM (dont ask...) I went to organize my song myself (yes it prob wont be done untill x-mass).
So I started to do like this. Make a folder of each artist and then make a subfolder for each album and put songs and album cover in it.
So yesterday I put my e260 in MTC mode and transfer few folders and what happened? Well I thought that it will be smart to put songs in albums like I organized it but he rather listen to IDE3 tags and put them in albums like it says there (same with artist). So... um... what?... how? Did I do something wrong? Can I do what I wanted to do? Otherwise what will be the difference then from putting them in over MTP with WMP10/11.
I hate when I go to artist and for example you got 20 artist about Carlos Santana feat. SomeoneIdontcareaboutbutitsgoodtoknow instead putting them in one artist.

Well, good thing all album covers are displayed with their high res pictures.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyec View Post
Well I thought that it will be smart to put songs in albums like I organized it but he rather listen to IDE3 tags and put them in albums like it says there (same with artist). So... um... what?... how? Did I do something wrong? Can I do what I wanted to do? Otherwise what will be the difference then from putting them in over MTP with WMP10/11.
I think the Sansa (and most other players) will use the Artist/Album tags in the music file no matter what you do. MTP or MSC doesn't make any difference.

Quote:
I hate when I go to artist and for example you got 20 artist about Carlos Santana feat. SomeoneIdontcareaboutbutitsgoodtoknow instead putting them in one artist.
I think the only way is to fix that is edit the Artist tag in the music file. I find it pretty easy to do in Windows Media Player; but if you have to edit a lot of tags, I've seen posts recommending tag editor programs that are supposed to make it easier/faster.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM

So it mean Im gona have to use "Carlos Santana" as an artist for all those songs ? That will be a pain when I come to Jazz/Blues songs with so mani duo songs. :S

Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think any player using ID3 tags will be able to group "Carlos Santana", "Carlos Santana and Somebody", and "Carlos Santana feat. Whoever" as the same artist. For their sorting purposes, they treat "Carlos Santana and Somebody" as a single name.

I agree it's a pain changing the ID3 tags, but maybe not as bad as you think. In Windows Media Player display all your songs in the list details view, sorted by Artist. Copy just the name Carlos Santana into the clipboard, then at each "Carlos Santana and ..." Artist name, click on it, highlight the whole text, and paste in Carlos Santana. (You could probably find other tag editing programs that make it even easier than WMP) Then replace the song files on your player with the updated versions.

Before you do that, maybe there's a better alternative. I would prefer to keep the Artist information about whoever else is in the duet. You could create a playlist with all your Carlos Santana songs (with and without others). Then in your Sansa you can just go to your Carlos playlist instead of searching by Artist.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
You either use a tag editor and embed the image in the tag or you put it in the folder with the song artirst/album/album art.jpg. Easy as that.
- i embedded the image using mp3tag, but it still doesn't show up on the player for some reason ! i'm wondering if it has anything to do with the hidden folders??? i unchecked the box in the "folder options", but every time i connect the player, the folders go back to being hidden any advice??

Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensec View Post
Maybe someone will correct me, but I don't think any player using ID3 tags will be able to group "Carlos Santana", "Carlos Santana and Somebody", and "Carlos Santana feat. Whoever" as the same artist. For their sorting purposes, they treat "Carlos Santana and Somebody" as a single name.

I agree it's a pain changing the ID3 tags, but maybe not as bad as you think. In Windows Media Player display all your songs in the list details view, sorted by Artist. Copy just the name Carlos Santana into the clipboard, then at each "Carlos Santana and ..." Artist name, click on it, highlight the whole text, and paste in Carlos Santana. (You could probably find other tag editing programs that make it even easier than WMP) Then replace the song files on your player with the updated versions.

Before you do that, maybe there's a better alternative. I would prefer to keep the Artist information about whoever else is in the duet. You could create a playlist with all your Carlos Santana songs (with and without others). Then in your Sansa you can just go to your Carlos playlist instead of searching by Artist.
gensec, Seems like you know what you’re doing, check out Mp3 tag to augment what you’re doing now and make your life easier. If you want, you can rename all your songs to Carlos Santana at the simultaneously, sound easy enough? Free download: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

PS the help files should answer all your questions.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahlur View Post
- i embedded the image using mp3tag, but it still doesn't show up on the player for some reason ! i'm wondering if it has anything to do with the hidden folders??? i unchecked the box in the "folder options", but every time i connect the player, the folders go back to being hidden any advice??
Did you try restarting the device?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
check out Mp3 tag to augment what you’re doing now and make your life easier. ... Free download: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
I don't edit tags much. I generally accept whatever my ripping program (currently Audio Grabber) finds online. For correcting a few mispellings every couple of months WMP is fine, but if I was planning some heavy duty retagging like Teyec with his Santana duets, Mp3 Tag looks like a wise move.

One of these days I might redo the genre tags on my files so I could use genre as criteria in autogenerated playlists - right now the genre is pretty worthless scattered between Industrial, Industrial Dance, Hardcore Industrial, etc., or between Rock, Rock & Roll, Classic Rock, .... If I ever get around to sorting my songs into coherent genres, I'll definitely give Mp3 tag a try. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyec View Post
After unsatisfied work of MM (dont ask...) I went to organize my song myself (yes it prob wont be done untill x-mass).
So I started to do like this. Make a folder of each artist and then make a subfolder for each album and put songs and album cover in it.
So yesterday I put my e260 in MTC mode and transfer few folders and what happened? Well I thought that it will be smart to put songs in albums like I organized it but he rather listen to IDE3 tags and put them in albums like it says there (same with artist). So... um... what?... how? Did I do something wrong? Can I do what I wanted to do?
I think that most of the newer players are using MP3/WMA/OGG tags rather than folder/file names, so "yes", you did it wrong as sansa just ignores physical file names.

I don't know which problems do you have with Media Monkey but note that Media Monkey is able to help you also right now:

"Automatically identify tracks that are missing information, whose tags are not synchronized, or that are duplicated elsewhere.

Fix Tags with Automatic Lookup and Tagging of album art and other track information from Amazon.

Lookup CD information on Freedb or via CD-TEXT, and find missing track details through music-related sites such as Allmusic.

Automatically and intelligently tag files based on filenames with the Auto-Tagger."

It means, MM can eg. use your folder/file names to query Amazon and recover exact tag information.

Believe or not but using this I have re-organized all my music collection (almost 10 GB, thousands of songs) in two evenings.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINkin0827 View Post
windows media player can somehow automatically embed art to your music files if you have your tags right... i never figured out how to control it though.. i think once it's in your library it'll attempt to search online for matches
it also works if you got the original cd...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Im bringing this thread back to life :P
anyways... i had this problem but to help all the others...

1. Mine seems to work when the file is the size of 720x720 pixels..
2. Put it in the Folder of your album with the name "Album Art.jpg"
3. Done!